Cheap 2X Lens Converters for XH-A1? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old May 13th, 2009, 06:55 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Cheap 2X Lens Converters for XH-A1?

Gentlemen, (and ladies, of course), do any of you esteemed people have any advice or experience regarding these cheap 2X converters for the XH-A1? I'm not expecting a superlative image, but is is capable of capturing anything useful?
Best regards,
Spud

72mm 2x Pro Tele Lens Telephoto For Canon XH-A1 XH-G1 on eBay, also, Lenses, Lenses Filters, Cameras Photo (end time 26-May-09 18:38:26 BST)
Mike Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2009, 07:20 PM   #2
Trustee

I don't know about the one you show, but I tried an Impact brand from B&H and it was like shooting through a Coke bottle, absolutely useless. I don't fault the attachment as I have no way to test it independently, let's just say it was incompatable with the XHA1 primary lens.....B&H was gracious in taking it back, I might add. I suspect most of these off-brand jobs are made in the same Chinese factory, although that is just my guess....../ Battle Vaughan/miamiherald.com video team
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2009, 03:51 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Hi Mike..(again, gonna have to stop meeting....)

$49.95?

Junk. Pure and simple.

Avoid like any version of flu you like.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2009, 05:54 AM   #4
Trustee

Battle and Chris are pretty smart cookies, so I'm going to agree with them. I'm also a big believer in the adage, "you get what you pay for".

I would expect that one should expect to pay at least US$300 for a quality product. Whilst price does not guarantee quality, a company's reputation can help. I bought a Century .55 WA adapter for an HV10. I think I paid north of US$150 and am quite happy with it. That price is less than my US$300 mark because there's less glass involved.

Check the user reviews for products you might be interested in at B&H and I think you'll find the better rated products will deliver better image quality. (OK, so I'm Capt. Obvious this morning.)
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2009, 01:50 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Soucy View Post
$49.95?

Junk. Pure and simple.

Avoid like any version of flu you like.

CS
LOL!!
Hi Chris. Yes, I know you're right. This is one expensive pastime.
Mike Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2009, 03:48 PM   #6
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Vaughan View Post
I don't know about the one you show, but I tried an Impact brand from B&H and it was like shooting through a Coke bottle, absolutely useless. I don't fault the attachment as I have no way to test it independently, let's just say it was incompatable with the XHA1 primary lens.....B&H was gracious in taking it back, I might add. I suspect most of these off-brand jobs are made in the same Chinese factory, although that is just my guess....../ Battle Vaughan/miamiherald.com video team
Was it this one?

Impact | DVP-TP20-72 72mm 2.0x High-grade | DVP-TP20-72 | B&H

I was thinking about trying it out...
Rex Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2009, 11:22 PM   #7
Trustee

I'm actually surprised B&H even sell something like this! I bought something like this once, never again!!! You really need to lay down a few hundred dollars to get acceptable results. Infact as far as i know, there are only 2 tele converters that are worth putting your hard earned down for, the Schneider & the Raynox.
Bryce
Old June 29th, 2009, 03:48 PM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Cooper View Post
Was it this one?

Impact | DVP-TP20-72 72mm 2.0x High-grade | DVP-TP20-72 | B&H

I was thinking about trying it out...
It looks the same, it's the same price, as I recall it; the one I got was a couple of years ago, so who knows what Chinese factory is making them now? My guess is fuggaboudit..... but B&H are decent about returns, so you might not be risking anything to try.....b. vaughan
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders