XHA1 TV play back cable at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old August 13th, 2012, 01:02 PM   #1
Major Player

XHA1 TV play back cable

Hey folks,
Does anyone know the easiest way to buy a new playback cable? I always view my footage on my big HD TV and have been getting colors errors. I could eliminate the color problem by moving the cable. But, it appears that it has finally died.

any website that i can buy these?
Guy Godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2012, 06:51 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: XHA1 TV play back cable

By "playback" cable, do you mean the long cable with the D-connector on one end and the RYG RCA connectors on the other?

I haven't been able to find a non-Canon source. But that doesn't me that one doesn't exist.
Ed Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2012, 10:08 PM   #3
Major Player

Canon D-Terminal to Component Video Cable 0976B001 B&H Photo
I'm assuming you mean this one.
Mark Koha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2012, 10:45 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Unless it's a cheapie off eBay, the cable might not be the cause.

If you've been using this procedure for yonks, 'moving the cable' might just be making better pin contact with the defective socket on the A1.
The 4 pin Firewire socket on the A1 had similar trouble and Canon went to a 6pin on the upated A1S.

If possible, trundle the rig down to a suitable shop and try it there.

Cheers.
Old August 14th, 2012, 10:39 AM   #5
Wrangler

Considering the price of anew cable, if you can isolate the problem to a specific RCA plug, it might prove economical to replace just that connector - does require a bit of soldering skill.

Isolation involves moving only small portions of the cable at a time keeping the rest of it imobilized
Old August 14th, 2012, 01:13 PM   #6
Major Player

It looks like there may be a history with this issue. I was hoping a bad cable would be it. For the longest time all my play backs would have a green colored tint where it should be blue. I am not sure how I could test this cable unless I had another camera and vise versa.

Either way. I can never get it even come on for a second.
Old August 14th, 2012, 07:43 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Godwin View Post
I was hoping a bad cable would be it.
Does the socket on the camera look loose or damaged? If not, then I'd spend the $50 and get the cable. You mentioned that the cable was intermittent before, so it makes sense that it finally broke.
Eric Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2012, 08:50 PM   #8
Major Player

And as far as I know, these cables break pretty easily despite the brand. It's kind of a complicated connection on the camera end of things.
Mark Koha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2012, 11:27 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Hmm, I'm starting to wonder if I have the same camera and cable.

Nope, the heading definitely says A1, so guess it's the right one, simply unreckognizable.

I can see nothing cheap or shoddy with the supplied Canon cable, built like a brick out house as far as I can see.

Granted, the "D" connector probably wasn't the smartest move they could make, but even I haven't broken it yet.

First step in solving this is to take the camera and cable to anywhere else that has a screen with Component inputs and see if it works there (if you had a decent Dell PC monitor you'd be laughing, my U2711 has everything but a steam connector).

If it works there, it's a screen problem, cable and camera exhonerated and the Component I/P's on your big screen are toast (else serious colour blindness or finger trouble with the remote).

If it doesn't work, replace the cable with the cheapie from B&H.

If that doesn't fix it, it's back to Canon service for the camera, as the "D" connector, connector board or internal ribbon cable to same has obviously bit the dust.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2012, 05:36 AM   #10
Wrangler

I agree - D-connectors, XLR, and BNC are usually fairly robust.
4-pin firewire, 2.5 and 3,5mm phone jacks are not,
RCA are sort of in the middle.
And the jury is still out on mini USB and mini HDMI connectors.

Image turning green may indicate that the blue connection is bad. You could use a VOM (volt-onm meter, a multi tester) to ring out the cable for continuity. Jsut for kicks, swap the red adn blue conector at the set. Does the image still have a greenish cast (although the colors will be otherwise wrong)? If so, the problem may be with the set.

FWIW: I had a TV set in which the component video input chip had one color amp die resulting in a similar effect.
Old August 16th, 2012, 10:30 AM   #11
Major Player

I have tried this on multiple tv sets. Also, now the cable is completely dead. I cant even get the green look. I have found a high end shop in Cincinnati that has either cameras or cables to test each of mine. I think i will just go in and have them check it out.

btw, The socket and connection on the camera seem to be fine.
Old August 16th, 2012, 02:40 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Guy, box up the whole rig and drive it over to the shop. Phone, make an appointment and see if they can look at it while you're there.

Unfortunately the attitude of some high end shops is also high end, not to mention their prices.

Cheers.
Old August 17th, 2012, 11:01 AM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Black View Post
Guy, box up the whole rig and drive it over to the shop. Phone, make an appointment and see if they can look at it while you're there.

Unfortunately the attitude of some high end shops is also high end, not to mention their prices.

Cheers.
Went over to the shop today. No appointment or anything and 5 minutes later the cable is dead. The camera was perfect on their bench/cable.

New cable coming from B&H
Guy Godwin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders