They are almost here! Getting mine Thursday! - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old November 1st, 2006, 07:48 PM   #46
Regular Crew

Are the Mack warrantys recommended?
Wade Hanchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2006, 08:33 PM   #47
Wrangler

Opinions on Mack warranties vary. See this thread, which also has links to other threads on the subject:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=35012
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2006, 12:17 AM   #48
Major Player

Got my tracking number this afternoon. Brand new baby arrives Thursday sometime.

Got mine from TapeWorksTexas.com, they may still have some left from the first shipment, I'm guessing some of you could order Thursday and have it Friday. The guys there are great to work with, and they offer a manufacturer quality extended for a good price.

I bought mine from Jason Price
Brent Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2006, 03:12 AM   #49
Major Player

Still I think it is funny that everyone is spending so much money on a camera without any reviews. I am almost 100% sure that this camera will deliver, but still, there could be flaws which nobody knows about at this moment. I also do not understand why there are no reviews. Just a late call?
Floris van Eck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2006, 05:56 AM   #50
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floris van Eck
Still I think it is funny that everyone is spending so much money on a camera without any reviews. I am almost 100% sure that this camera will deliver, but still, there could be flaws which nobody knows about at this moment. I also do not understand why there are no reviews. Just a late call?
Well, its hard for there to be a lot of reviews on a non-shipping camera. These companies are under no obligation to lend out pre-production cameras for review purpose. They just build em and ship em.

Now having said that, Kaku Ito had one in Oct and did in fact post a lot of information about the cam and a good sampling of footage. Based on the specs, the footage and Kaku's opinions I'm pretty much sold.

Its a free economy, if someone isn't happy with the marketing and doesn't want to be an early adopter, they're well within their rights to purchase later. And if they're jazzed up and want the first one off the ship, that's cool too. Remember, these pro cams all have excellent resale values. I bet you could pay 4K for the A1, use it on one or two gigs, sell it a month later and not lose a dime (actually, you'd probably have made some cash).

Now having said that, I do agree with the general advice that if you don't need the camera yet, hold off. Price will only come down and worthy competition (V1, maybe even something new from Pana) is in the pipeline. But yeah, if I had a gig or two lined up for Q4 I wouldn't hesitate to buy the A1.

www.philipwilliams.com
Philip Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2006, 08:39 AM   #51
Regular Crew

I know there's a certain amount of risk involved but like Philip stated- I can always sell the camera if I'm not happy with it. I got one of the first Canon 1D Mark II's (first batched shipped to the U.S.) and it was perfect (still is in fact two and a half years later). So though I'm slightly concerned there will be some glaring glitch, I'm not all that worried. One other thing- Canon is a good company and if there are problems I have confidence that Canon will address them in a timely manner.
Old November 2nd, 2006, 09:38 AM   #52
Contributor

There's always a risk in a brand new camera, such as the upcoming Sony V1 for example; but the XH A1 is really a second generation because it's basically a new version of the H1. Sony's V1 is a totally new camera and if I were interested in it, I'd probably be inclined to wait a few months. The Z1 was different and I felt that, like the new Canon, it was really second generation because the FX1 had been out half a year or so before. There have been lots of minor issues with some first generation cameras from all the manufacturers that were fixed with minor upgrades in a second generation, often after just a few months. So I wouldn't worry a bit about this Canon--I think it's second generation. And on top of that, most everybody who bought the first generation, the H1, was very pleased. It seems to me that Canon is usually pretty solid in the first round, probably because they're always the last one in the boat. Maybe they try to take their time and do it right the first time. That would be a refreshing corporate strategy, wouldn't it.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2006, 09:50 AM   #53
Trustee

I am holding mine in my grubby little hands finally!

Weird......it is like a baby XL. I haven't shot anything yet but the first thing I am already missing is the "standby" button. rather than turning the wheel on and off I'd rather just hit a button and go into standy if I could. I am thinking this is not on this camera. Oh well!

I'll post my impressions as I use it a little today.

Peace!
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2006, 09:53 AM   #54
Trustee

Tranquility Base

The Eagle has landed.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2006, 10:13 AM   #55
Trustee

Smaller than the Z1...
Only a cursory look, opened only long enough to yank out the battery and charger. Thankfully, it has a separate off-camera charger, which was about my biggest concern that it might not.

Cut my hand, drew blood when I opened the blade to a box cutter knife with my finger in front of it, idiot. blood on the box and on my hands.

Back to work, sorry no review today, you got Marty for that...grin.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2006, 10:15 AM   #56
Contributor

Don't get blood on the camera!:)
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2006, 10:25 AM   #57
Regular Crew

This sounds like a good idea for horror flick: "A camera that sucked blood"... We probably would need big one for that, shoulder mount that sucks from the neck ;-)

Take care Tom. Congrats to all new owners of XH-A1!
Bogdan Tyburczy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2006, 10:28 AM   #58
Trustee

A quick snippet after 5-10 minutes monkeying around with it. I can't comment on the image quality as I haven't had time to hook it up to anything. The LCD is pretty cool. Seems about the same as the H1. The iris on the lens is a good thing but takes some getting used to....I guess. As of right this moment it feels very odd. It is also way more sensitive than the iris on any of the other XL cameras so faster movements creates large changes. This is a good thing as you can very finely move the ring and get smooth aperture changes. But if you try to tweak the iris like you do with an H1 you will go too far.

I am not quite sure what to think of the camera just yet. Remember, I am coming from an H1 and I also owned and XL2. SO my main issue is getting used to the form factor. For those using this "style" of camera I think you'll love it.

I just need to stop trying to put it on my shoulder!
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2006, 10:36 AM   #59
Regular Crew

Marty! We'll be picking one up relatively soon, so your accounts are very valuable to us. We use XL2s currently.

Yeah, I can't imagine it 'not' going on my shoulder, very odd! In fact, I've been researching my options to 'make' it a shoulder mount ... ;) rods, handles, shoulder pad on the centre of mass, matte box, and a LCD screen held far enough forward to be usable .. (is there no solution cheaper than a noga arm ..? very pricey, especially if I have to import from the US and pay import duty)

It's easy to think of situations where a 'naked' hand-held A1 would be brilliant, and I'd be much more likely to drag it around with me for opportune recording ... but I can't imagine using it for anything serious without a shoulder mount setup
Kris Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2006, 05:26 PM   #60
Regular Crew

Getting mine next Tuesday. The vendor has several left but I'm not sure I can mention it here. Will I be spanked or is it OK?
Wade Hanchey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders