20x zoom lens -- various topics - Page 11 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old July 10th, 2005, 07:55 AM   #151
Major Player

Thank you Jay and Ash
As I said, the camera`s owner was not familiar with it.
But Is there a need to do a back focus adjustment or hearing the click sound when fitting the zoom is enough?
Ron
Ron German is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2005, 01:39 PM   #152
Trustee

On the auto lens there is no back-focus available to the user, it must be done at the factory. Have you tried it a couple times? I have noticed it happen on my XL1s from time to time but it always seems to correct itself with a re-mount.

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2005, 06:38 PM   #153
Major Player

No Ash
I had the camera on my hands for few minutes and when I found this big lens problem (after zooming in and out many times) I gave up testing the camera.
Ron
Ron German is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2005, 03:59 AM   #154
Regular Crew

20x lens ND in between OK?

i noticed that i can gradually turn the ND filter so that i can get in between settings from no ND to N32. i did not, however shoot with these in-between settings because they might have had bad effects. Are there any bad effects? Image wise? would it damage the lens when kept in an in between position?

thanks
Mo Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2005, 07:09 AM   #155
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Zee
i noticed that i can gradually turn the ND filter so that i can get in between settings from no ND to N32. i did not, however shoot with these in-between settings because they might have had bad effects. Are there any bad effects? Image wise? would it damage the lens when kept in an in between position?

thanks
I tried it once and got some weird effects. I would not recommend it. Part of the image was blurry and part wasn't. Something just looked weird. I can't imagine it would hurt anything but it could ruin a shot since it is possible that part of the frame is covered by one ND filter and the other part covered by another. I doubt it is a subtle gradient transition between these 2 degrees.
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2005, 07:13 AM   #156
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Hudzik
I tried it once and got some weird effects. I would not recommend it. Part of the image was blurry and part wasn't. Something just looked weird. I can't imagine it would hurt anything but it could ruin a shot since it is possible that part of the frame is covered by one ND filter and the other part covered by another. I doubt it is a subtle gradient transition between these 2 degrees.
i would suspect something like this. could you link to a vidcap? i'll try to do some testing if i can because if it works, then it's a great thing to use
Mo Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2005, 11:00 AM   #157
Regular Crew

20x lens! B+W or HOYA Cir-Pol?

Hi everyone,

Which of these cir-polarizing work better on the 20x

B+W or Hoya.

I need it for sunny days and shooting the clouds.

Thank you
Kalil Jalili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2005, 03:23 PM   #158
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalil Jalili
Hi everyone,

Which of these cir-polarizing work better on the 20x

B+W or Hoya.

I need it for sunny days and shooting the clouds.

Thank you
Hi,

I started out looking at the Hoya but I found a used B+W so I bought it.
The lens guy that I purchased it from said that Hoya and B+W are on par with each other = excellent.

Steph
Stephanie Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2005, 04:05 PM   #159
Trustee

Either will work just fine...

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2005, 04:00 PM   #160
Regular Crew

canon dust cap for 20x lens and body?

Anyone know where I can purchase extra dust caps for the 20x lens and camera body when you take off the lens for transport?

I can't find this part anywhere. Can only find the 72mm cap that goes up front.

Thanks.
Eugene Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2005, 06:04 PM   #161
Wrangler

You may have to actually call Canon to get the parts. They have many parts available through phone sales that aren't listed online anywhere. Case in point, I just bought a replacement lens hood and zoom lever pin for the 16x manual lens.

I believe it's 1-800-OKCANON. Follow the wonderful menu trail from there. They are very helpful once you get to talk to someone.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2005, 07:18 PM   #162
Major Player

XL2 with H1 20x lens?

I know it's probably too soon to tell, but would there be any advantage whatsoever to use the H1 HD lens on an XL2?
Frederic Segard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2005, 10:55 AM   #163
Major Player

Definitely yes because it has to be a better lens to support the higher resolution of the new chip set. What is not so definite is that it will be appreciably or even noticeably better.
A. J. deLange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2005, 02:12 PM   #164
Regular Crew

20X lens

Received my XL2 last week and same night went out to shoot traffic scenes for part of a TV spot. This was the first time I used the camera and the new Florite 20x Lens.(Ive used Xl1 and 1s for years.) I was surprised by the tiny floating lights when shooting into approaching cars. Every headlight it seems produced several "floters" that were very annoying, and distracting. I have not seen this before with the 16x lens on the XL1s....is this a new feature ??? I took off the tiffen UV filter, but it made no difference....any comments would be welcome.
Peter Sheppard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2005, 02:50 PM   #165
Obstreperous Rex

This artifact could be caused by image stabilisation. Turn OIS off and see if there's a difference.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders