20x zoom lens -- various topics - Page 12 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old November 19th, 2005, 04:23 PM   #166
Major Player

What exaclty is a "floter"? I've never heard this term.
Douglas Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2005, 02:36 PM   #167
Trustee

Happens all the time with the 20x lens in low light with bright lights where lens flares are more easily seen. OIS is the culprit. I never experienced this with the 16x manuals lens.
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2005, 08:09 PM   #168
Regular Crew

Sweet Spot For 20X Lens

Hi. My "Search" function is on the fritz so I apologize if this subject's been covered over and over. I've got the 20X lens with my XL2 and was wondering if anyone has done and testing with the lens to determine the best apertures? Thanks in advance.
Sprague
Sprague Theobald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2005, 01:24 AM   #169
Trustee

Wide open... I like to use it long and wide open is the best way to keep it, that will give you the best DOF and keep the image from getting soft... try to squash light with filters if possible, I try to never go over f4 or f5

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2005, 08:16 AM   #170
Regular Crew

Many thanks.
S
Sprague Theobald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2005, 02:56 PM   #171
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Greyson
Wide open... I like to use it long and wide open is the best way to keep it, that will give you the best DOF and keep the image from getting soft... try to squash light with filters if possible, I try to never go over f4 or f5
ash =o)
Betcha shoot fully manual too huh!
Old December 12th, 2005, 03:31 PM   #172
Major Player

Focus Issue with 20x Lens

Hi there everybody!

I just recently got my XL2. I have some previous experience with using other people's XL2s, as well as lots of experience with Betacams, etc.

My question is about focus. When I zoom in and focus on the eye of a person, for example, then zoom back out, the picture looks kinda soft to me. I have seen items in the foreground that actually look sharper than the subject. It's almost like the back focus is off, but the 20x auto lens doesn't have a back focus. Has anybody else experienced this, and is there anything to do about it? Otherwise I might be tempted to look at the 16x manual lens instead.

THANKS!

Rob
Rob Neidig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2005, 05:12 PM   #173
Major Player

i had something similar at one point and i took the lens to canon to get adjusted, they said it was just fine.

I think what might be happening is that you zoom all the way in and focus, but at the long end ofthe zoom the lens is an f3.5, you focus at that f-stop which has a fairly large amount of depth of field then pull out and the lens opens all the way to f1.6 which has a much shallower DOP so the focus actually has to be more precise on the shorter end which seems backwards, try setting and keeping the aperture at 3.5 all the way through the zoom out and see if you still have the problem, if so you definetely have a back focus problem,

that said, you wouldn't be disappointed with the 16x manual, which keeps a steady f-stop through it's whole range.

-Jon
Jon Bickford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2006, 08:41 PM   #174
Regular Crew

pressure gradient and the 20x lens

Hypothetical question:
This is kind of silly, but has been bugging me for a while.

If you are in the eye of a, say, 940> mb hurricane with a tight pressure gradient, would the rapidly changing conditions be bad for your lens in the way of bubbles, etc? If there are any weather videographers here, I would love to draw upon your experience in this and a plethora of other regards.

Jeff
Jeff McElroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2006, 06:52 AM   #175
Major Player

There is a caveat in the XL-H1 manual to the effect that a gas bubble may form in the liquid between the plates in the 20x lens at aircraft cabin pressure altitudes (about 7000 feet). While this is appreciably less than 940 mb I suppose the potential for this to happen is there for any of Canon's OIS lenses that use this basic architecture.
A. J. deLange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2006, 08:05 AM   #176
Wrangler

Haven't traveled with the H1 yet, but I carried my XL2 with 20x and 3x lenses on multiple airplane trips and haven't actually seen any bubbles, even though I know at least once I had cabin pressure altitudes well above 10,000 feet. The barometric pressure in a hurricane would be the least of my concerns -- water and wind-driven objects would be higher on my list of worries!
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2006, 09:19 AM   #177
Regular Crew

Okay thanks… I was going to segue into the airplane caveat, as you termed it, so I am glad that you covered that.

I do wonder if anyone has ever documented a major hurricane, on the ground, in high def? I think Jim Edds uses a dvx100, and it is only a matter of time before one of these idiots takes the plunge in this regard.

My camera was destroyed along with my house during charley, but the tape survived... which is all that matters!
Jeff McElroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2006, 08:16 PM   #178
Regular Crew

Focal length on standard 20x?

Hi all,

I've been trying to figure out (with no luck) if there is any way at all to find out what the focal length is set to in a numerical format on the standard 20x lens that ships with the XL2.

I know there are no markings on the lens itself due to the mag-rings and in the viewfinder it's just a mark between W and T...but if I wanted, for example, to set the zoom to the equivalent of an 85mm prime, is there any way at all for me to set that number exactly?

Thanks for your help,

Shawn McBee
Old January 7th, 2006, 04:46 PM   #179
Regular Crew

Canon 20X lens / No picture

I have 2 lens the factory 20X lens and the 3x lens, today I had a shoot and when I connect the 20X lens I had no picture. I then connected the 3x lens and I had picture and everything worked fine. I reconnected the 20X lens, made sure I heard the little pops that the lens does. It did, but still no picture, has anyone else had this problem???
Gerald Godbout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2006, 05:13 PM   #180
Major Player

Did you take the lens off without turning the power off? You may have blown a lens fuse and it is preventing the iris from opening.

Matt
Matthew Nayman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders