Transfer Custom Presets via FireWire at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old September 17th, 2004, 02:26 AM   #1
Obstreperous Rex

Transfer Custom Presets via FireWire

Okay, I'm just curious, who out there has two XL2's at hand? I'd like to know if anybody has bothered to transfer Custom Presets from one XL2 to another, via FireWire as described on page 71 of the operator's manual. The instructions are just a tad vague, but here's a recap:

1. Connect one XL2 to another XL2 with a FireWire cable.

2. Power up the SENDING camera (export settings) to "External Control" mode.

3. Power up the RECEIVING camera (import settings) to any Camera mode other than "Green Box."

4. On the RECEIVING camera, open the menu and select Custom Preset --> Read Preset, and the Import Preset menu appears.

5. Then select Sel. Preset and choose the file you want to import (which the receiving camera is reading from the sending camera).

6. Toggle the Sel. Position, which opens the Select Position menu.

7. Then use Sel. Preset to choose the file location you'll be writing to (or overwriting, if a file was already there before; make sure it's unlocked so you can overwrite it).

8. Then choose Overwrite --> Yes. The file has now been moved from one camera to the other. Sure beats doing five pages of preset menus by hand, doesn't it?

Pretty soon the SDK folks will provide utilities for downloading preset files from the camera to your hard drive, and from there, file sharing on the web, or whatever... the XL2 holds three preset files but you could maintain a whole library of 'em on your computer and load the camera with whatever presets you need for the day. Pretty cool, huh?

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2004, 02:34 AM   #2

Hey Chris,

We currently have a few XL2's on hand for ResFest 2004. Swapping Custom Presets between XL2's is done exactly as you described and works pretty easily - provided you remember to carry a 4-pin to 4-pin FireWire cable with you. I always carry a FireWire cable kit with me these days.

I too am looking forward to seeing C++ software developers embrace the XL2 SDK kit.

Miss 'ya!

- don
CREATE and NETWORK with http://www.bosfcpug.org
and also http://fcpugnetwork.org
Don Berube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2004, 07:52 AM   #3
"I saw 'em" -- Hiwayne Suggs

Chris,

Thanks for the heads up about that. It will save a lot of post-production tweaking on multiple camera shoots.

Steve
Steve Mims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2004, 08:39 AM   #4
Trustee

Chris,
I thought that there is already some Canon software that enables you to control the XL2 from a laptop, as well as save the settings and transfer them to other cameras.

Robin
Robin Davies-Rollinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2004, 02:58 PM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

Robin, there is DV-PC Recorder, which is a pretty basic app which writes edit-ready files to a laptop's hard disk, but I think that's all there is now from Canon Inc. My understanding is that they're leaving everything else to the third-party software folks through the SDK.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders