recommend me some stuff. please - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old October 21st, 2004, 02:26 PM   #16
Regular Crew

ok i found the tapes and need to know something, sorry for the hassle.

what does it mean when it says cassettes chipped or not chipped?

also what is the difference between the panasonic DVM60 and panasonic DVM63? just three minutes?
Kevin Gilvear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2004, 02:47 PM   #17
Trustee

<<<-- Originally posted by Kevin Gilvear : ok i found the tapes and need to know something, sorry for the hassle.

what does it mean when it says cassettes chipped or not chipped?

also what is the difference between the panasonic DVM60 and panasonic DVM63? just three minutes? -->>>

traditionally chipped meant there was a small IC chip inside the cassette that recorded information on it pertaining to start/stop and other info on the tape. I have personally only ever seen this on Sony tapes and not for 5+ years now. I guess if you have the right equipment it might be usefull but I have never used it.

The other question I can't answer. I have never seen or heard of a Panasonic PQ or MQ tape other than 63 and 83 minutes. That doesn't mean they don't exist but I'd make sure before you buy them.
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2004, 03:06 PM   #18
Regular Crew

PQs are totally fine, I've never had a problem with them and we've used them for a few years now for broadcast when we go DV.

As for tripod, I've just got a Vinten Vision 3 system for the XL2 and couldn't recommend it enough - I'd say it's the least you should go for. Bit steep at a grand (£!) but it'll probably outlast the camera to be honest.
Gary Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2004, 03:28 PM   #19
Regular Crew

I'll second that Gary
I bought a 2nd hand vinten vision 3 off ebay (yes a little risky, but I went for the plunge!)
It's in great condition, and it's a great tripod!
I have used the sachtler dv 4 and the vinten pro 5, and it wipes the floor with both of these, seriously!
The head is very smooth, like butter (melted butter, mixed with the nicest smoothie you can find!)

www.creativevideo.co.uk do a good (ish) deal on a new vinten vision 3. I'd definately get the 2 stage legs, as it gives you lower and higher height extremes.

Tapes, panasinic MQ series, I do beleive this is one of the cheapest you will find in the UK

http://www.kvjfairdeal.com/

go to Camcorder -> DVM -> Panasonic in the menu to find them. I have only bought form this company form their shop in Aldgate East, London, but their online prices are slightly cheaper. You will not find cheaper than that price really for that tape!

Hope this helps
Lawrence
Lawrence Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2004, 05:29 AM   #20
Regular Crew

that's great everyone, thanks.

From fairdeal site:

DVM 60 EK Mini DV 60min

or

DVM 63 Pro Professional DV

?

the latter is twice as much, still a good price so I'm assuming it is better?

The tripod I'll have to save for for a little while.
I need a carry case too but the aluminium one is too expensive really. Any other good bags?
Old October 22nd, 2004, 08:46 AM   #21
Regular Crew

The 63 minute panasonic one is the tape

It is also the one that everyone refers to as the Master series tape

I know it is a bit more than the cheapest, I just had that problem too.

The company I shoot with my camera for the most uses these tapes, so I now have to start using them as my general camera tapes (don't want to mix tapes in my new XL2!)

I used to have to only spend around £18 on 10 tapes, I just bought 10 Pana MQ tapes today, and it cost me £34.50!

Arrghhhhhh, it's like buying an expensive car and thinking it will be cheap to run!

Lawrence
Old October 22nd, 2004, 10:42 AM   #22
Regular Crew

thanks Lawrence. Why should you never mix tapes then?

I will buy a few of the DVM 63 then.
Old October 22nd, 2004, 11:52 AM   #23
Regular Crew

LOL
Checkout the LONG BLACK LINE Forum topic, and you will find endless discussions about this exact topic.

If you mix tapes you run the risk of fluid from different tapes dirtying your heads. Continous cleaning of heads is abrasive and can permanently damage them!

Read more form the dedicated forum!

Lawrence
Old October 22nd, 2004, 01:33 PM   #24
Regular Crew

thanks, just had a good read. I'll stick with the panasonic ones I plan on getting and hope they work fine.
Old October 22nd, 2004, 01:44 PM   #25
Regular Crew

After paying so much money for such a fantastic machine I decided to immediatley get a Manfrotto tripod with the 516 head, the EF Adapter witch will allow me to connect any EF lens to the camcorder, the ZR-1000 remote control which connects to the handle of the tripod and last, but not least, the 3x XL wide angle lens which is fantastic indoors and also for landscapes, etc.

I mean - why did you spend so much money if you do not want to utilise the camcorder to it's full potential.

Whenever my bank manager agrees I am going to get the TA-100 tripod adapter, the FU-1000 monochrome Viewfinder and the MA-300 microphone adapter.

Great machine!!
Old October 22nd, 2004, 02:12 PM   #26
Regular Crew

If ya got the money then by all means :)

I asked about these monitors not too long ago. I still think I want to go with the top one, nothing fancy but just good enough to get the job done. It is pretty cool I can stick it on a tripod once I get one, but would it also be easy to use away from the tripod?

http://www.b-hague.co.uk/Monitors%20&%20Btackets.htm

I'm really not looking at anything else above this price range for monitors - that is not an option at this point. I don't want to max out any cards if it can be helped, instead get everythign I can just afford that will produce good results. I currently have my xl2 ona 9 month interest free payment scheme so I have to bear in mind I have to pay that off withing said time.

Now, I am looking for a tripod and carry case and found this. First of all should I get this? The price is good but how is the tripod quality? Are those legs adjustable? It also has filters and cleaning kit which I'll need too. These would all work with a PAL camera I presume so is it worth it?

http://focuscamera.com/prods/964594358.asp

Any alternative suggestions would be great. Yes I have read the importance of buying an expensive tripod but I'm just not sure if I'll be able to.
Old October 22nd, 2004, 02:33 PM   #27
Regular Crew

Noooooo!

Don't get it

Read this

DON'T GET IT

You can see this tripod is no good! It has a flimsy tiny head

If you can't spend too much, buy one thing at a time, and wait until you can afford something else!

You will kick yourself otherwise!

My philosophy is buy the best, and if you can't afford it without selling your soul, wait until you can. Then you have the best, and it will be the best for some time and you will never regret it. Also the best stuff has a better resale value!

If I had bought a cheap tripod ($300) then it would have got me going, but it would have annoyed me and I would forever have been thinking I wish I had got the better tripod. Now I have the Vinten Vision 3 tripod, and I don't need any other tripod! In 5 years when the XL4 comes out, it will still work with this tripod. It will work with whatever MiniDV camera comes out and it will work well. Any camera that we will use that comes out will not be too heavy for this tripod!

Invest, and you will reap the rewards!!!

Don't handicap yourself before you even start the race!

It is THE second most important thing to invest in after a good camera. With these 2 things at least you can go out and shoot stuff without the need for anything else (from a bare minimum point of view). If you don't have a filter, alter the colour in post, if you don't have a wide angle lens, walk the camera backwards, if you don't have a microphone, you can just about get away with onboard sound. If you don't have a smooth pan/tilt from a good tripod how are you ever, EVER going to fix it?

Lawrence
Old October 22nd, 2004, 02:36 PM   #28
Regular Crew

Also

I just bought the pro jib arm from B-Hague

It is great, they are great.

I also bought the Monitor mount to attach it to the jib arm. It's one solid (heavy) lump of metal that is well engineered.

I will eventually buy the tripod mount too, but I have had a bit of a spending frenzy in the last 2 months, and I need to calm down, otherwise I'll have to sell my body!

I'm getting sweaty just thinking how much less money I have in my bank. I need to sell my old xl1s kit urgently!

Lawrence
Old October 22nd, 2004, 02:39 PM   #29
Regular Crew

Alright thanks. Looks like a tripod will be last minute buy though, see how the saving goes.

As for filters you are right, i was gonna do all the colour stuff in post anyway. But what about something to protect my lense during shoots?

How about a bag then? Any good places to get a reasonably priced one?

As for wide angle lense etc. I wont be buying any other lenses. Just gonna stick with what I have, it'll shoot 16x9 which is great and i shouldnt have any problems there with shots I'd imagine.

Oh and should I get a cover for the eye piece? I hear you get a bit sweaty using them.

Sorry for all the questions but this has all been really helpful
Old October 22nd, 2004, 05:41 PM   #30
Regular Crew

THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT

Immediately you get a video camera, immediately get the filter thread size and immediately put on a UV filter. Period. Immediately. It doesn't colour your picture, and it protects the lens. NEVER TAKE IT OFF

A $40/£30 filter on the end of the lens is cheaper to replace than a scratched lens, which costs over $1000/£800!!!!

THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT
Lawrence Stevens is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders