Stock Footage Trading? - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old May 5th, 2005, 01:37 PM   #61
Trustee

let's stop talking about it and start trading to see if it really works. i don't have any movie projects right now, but those of you that need footage, please shout it out and let other people know about it. or... we can start a thread about who is in which location and what look do they need.
Old May 5th, 2005, 02:12 PM   #62
Inner Circle

This sounds like a neat project, but maybe we are trying to make it too fancy with websites and all to start with. How about starting with people just requesting footage that they need and someone responding. If there is footage I can take for another and I want to donate it for free, with or without expenses, what's wrong with that?

For example, I live in Southeast Florida. If someone needs something from here and we can work out a deal for a fee or for no fee, then just mail it. I can mail a CD with a lot of footage for a very little price. Media mail from S. Florida all the way to California for one pound is only $1.42 plus the packaging material, which could be just brown paper.

Just a thought.

Someone recently posted a request for stock footage of a clapboard being used, because they did not have one to film. I posted a reply saying that I had a clapboard and cameras and might be able to help out, but did not hear from the person. This is an example of what I mean. You need footage, like South Beach Florida, (I know we have people there), or Hutchenson Island in Jenson Beach, just post a request!

If someone needs some footage, say from a pub in Boston, and someone there has the right camera and can do it, why not! Charge for the gas and blank CD and maybe a nice lunch while you are there!

I think there are many here who are not concerned with making huge profits from the filming, but just learning and enjoying the craft. Who knows, you someday see your footage used in something really neat!

You would have to have model releases for anyone in them, so just don't have people in them! We don't have to have any releases for buildings here in the USA, as I understand that they do in parts of Europe etc., so I think as long as the footage has no recognizable persons in it we are fine. I'm sure some with more knowledge will advise us on that issue.

Anyway, let me know what you think about doing it this way to start.

Hope that this helps.

Mike
Old May 5th, 2005, 02:47 PM   #63
Trustee

hrm. i wish i was doing a project now so i could start requesting. but i ain't. i think people aren't taking advantage of this network of DV brethrens across the internet =). in fact, i could create an entire editing projects just using footages shot across the world =). hawaii, intercut with footages from norway from flordia, from boston, heck anyone doing a video travel brochure is IN LUCK! :).
Old May 5th, 2005, 03:38 PM   #64
Regular Crew

Lets do it! (I'm going to set up a website)

I'm very excited. After doing a bit more research, I found an exelent tool that takes care of the software side of sharing files of any size, I'm lucky enough to have a compatible server and a domain name that was going to waste.

I'm setting this site up now, working out some kinks, then I encourage you all to try it. Go to http://dvpub.info if you want to see it so far.

I'm not sure if my server company will frown on this yet, so cross your fingers!

Last edited by Jeremy Peterson; May 5th, 2005 at 03:57 PM.
Jeremy Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2005, 05:10 PM   #65
Regular Crew

Stock Site Ready to Test!

Okay everybody, lets test this out and see if it works. I was able to transfer a file from my work computer to my home computer.

http://dvpub.info

If you download a file, leave the downloader box open so others can download the file too.

Feel free to upload files to test, but you must have at least a port open to the internet in the range of 6881 to 6889. If you dont know what that means, you probably won't be able to upload files unless your connected to the internet without a firewall (a bad idea).

So attention those of you with fast connections: try downloading or uploading, it's easy enough for anyone to do.

If you make a mess dont worry, i'll clean it up later.
Old May 5th, 2005, 06:18 PM   #66
Capt. Quirk

"I think that which is written above is exactly right. The best bet is to send tapes."

I almost agree. Tapes can be a bit costlier than DVDs, and not nearly as durable. Not to mention wear and tear on someone's heads if they don't own a deck. I think footage trading is a great idea, and always have. This is how I would approach this-

1) Ask Chris Hurd if he would host a new forum, "Stock Footage". In it, you would have two threads, Footage Wanted and Footage For Use.

The first thread is obviously for people to post their requests. The second, would make it easier to search for footage.

2) Folks with footage could burn the raw avi to DVD, or CD if file will fit, and mail it to the requester for maybe $10. This should cover cost for the disk, and shipping worldwide.

Of course, it would be nice if there were a way to post a small preview clip online. Maybe 10 seconds at 320x240 and 10 fps.
Old May 5th, 2005, 08:03 PM   #67
Trustee

i wouldn't get TOO far ahead. the first thing is first. who has a project RIGHT NOW and who needs 2nd Unit footages from all these gorgeous places? if that need doesn't even arise, there's no need to go further and create server space, etc. let's start from the beginning and see where it goes.
Old May 5th, 2005, 08:09 PM   #68
Capt. Quirk

I could go for a shot of the African plains, with some distinct animals for flavor. Anybody in that neighborhood?
Old May 5th, 2005, 09:04 PM   #69
Trustee

but doesn't australia have the wild outbacks that can double for Africa?
Old May 5th, 2005, 09:09 PM   #70
Capt. Quirk

Australia could possibly look similar to an African plain, but the animals would sell it. They don't have Zebras, Girraffes, Elephants, or Lions. I was at Busch Gardens, and thought about trying to get the shot there. The rollercoaster in the background kind of killed the mood though.
Old May 5th, 2005, 10:40 PM   #71
New Boot

why wait for the server?

If someone is willing to set it up and maintain it, if even for a little while, why not start now. I'd rather be enjoying a service that is free than one that will cost 10 or so bucks. Even though that's an incredibly cheap price for stock, let's not shoot down innovation. So what if it fails.

Thanks for you enthusiam, Jeremy. I'm willing to try it out. I'll be out of town this weekend, but when I return I'd like to start testing with anyone else interested. I can see this being a real useful tool in the future (either served up via the Internet or mail ordered).
Mark Montgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2005, 04:01 AM   #72
Regular Crew

[QUOTE=Rick Bravo]<<<The person requesting the footage must be responsible for providing a blank tape>>>

Are DVD's ok. I don't even think I have anything to play a tape on unless it's a Mini DV and I play it through the camera.
Old May 6th, 2005, 05:17 AM   #73

[QUOTE=Cleveland Brown]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Bravo
<<<The person requesting the footage must be responsible for providing a blank tape>>>

Are DVD's ok. I don't even think I have anything to play a tape on unless it's a Mini DV and I play it through the camera.
No, DVDs wouldn't work. The video has been compressed to MPEG2. When it comes to stock footage, you want "master" quality images.

Jay
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2005, 05:31 AM   #74
Capt. Quirk

Jay- The footage won't need to be converted to mpeg, or anything else, just to burn it on DVD. You aren't wanting to play it on the tv, you are just transferring raw avi files from tape to DVD storage. Think of it as a 4 gig CD.
Old May 6th, 2005, 07:22 AM   #75
Major Player

So what's the simplest workflow to go from miniDV source tape to DVD ROM?
Do you need a NLE, or is there some utility program (need for both PC and Mac) that will do this?
Pete Wilie is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders