Canon Removes "Film Grain" from XL2 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old December 31st, 2004, 12:31 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Haha !

Excelent way to check if you are getting an old stock model or a new released one ! :-)

Frank
Frank Aalbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2004, 06:47 AM   #17
Regular Crew

when will the new xl2 hit market

i am wondering because i would think that canon might also have addressed or refined other items on this camera . just my opinion but to remove something that is from the factory would be major .it would only make sense to make other refinements .thanks for the info Mr. Hurd ............ dp
Old December 31st, 2004, 02:29 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Has anyone purchased a new XL2 without the film grain feature?According to the updated manual the color bars/film grain button is now just color bars, and then the on/off toggle is still the same. Seems kinda odd that they wouldnt re-assign a function to that button.

At the top of the page of the manual about the feature it reads "recording color bars/audio reference signal." But no mention is made of a tone generator in the text or directions. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with one of the new cameras. I'm going to be placing my XL2 order here in the very near future and am a little offset by this - not that the film grain feature was useful, but that canon would get rid of a feature at the drop of a hat or because they "can't acquire the software anymore." Makes me wonder if I should wait a little longer to see if they refine the camera further or if I should just bite the bullet...what a pickle!
Old December 31st, 2004, 02:39 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Devin,

The choice of when to buy any type of tech gear is always tough. A good rule of thumb is;

If you can wait - do so. It will only get better and cheaper.

If you can make money with it NOW- Buy it NOW, this will offset the purchase price, probably more than the difference in a resale and upgrade at a later date.

My XL2 has film grain, and I can't imagine why I would want to use it.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2004, 03:40 PM   #20
Obstreperous Rex

Devin...

<< Has anyone purchased a new XL2 without the film grain feature? I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with one of the new cameras. >>

They only just now announced the intent to change. Therefore you'll have to expect some degree of time to pass before the revised model starts shipping. These things don't happen overnight.

It was just wishful thinking on my part that they'd re-map the now-extraneous button to some other function, but as I suspected, it appears that's not going to happen.

Do not expect any other changes or "refinements."

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2004, 04:10 PM   #21
Major Player

Hmm, all this seems strange to me. It's odd that so soon after the release they say they're doing this. I wonder if it's something "legal." Did they use film grain effects from another company or something?

Oh well...it doesn't sound like any of us are going to miss it! It just seems odd to me so soon after a release. Surely they did their research before adding it. I bet there is a reason we don't know or may not know about.
Kevin Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2004, 06:11 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Richard, thanks for the rules of thumb. I pretty much live by those two principles regarding equipment purchase anyhow, but it's nice to be reminded of them.

Chris, the press release from canon made it sound like the change would be pretty immediate:

"The technology that produces the Film Grain feature on the XL2 camcorder is no longer obtainable by Canon. Therefore beginning December 21, 2004 new XL2 models available for sale will not include the Film Grain feature."

Or would those sales be to distributors? Didn't really think about it from that angle. Anyways, this is all very interesting, albeit a small nit-pick about this otherwise great camera.
Old January 1st, 2005, 08:13 AM   #23
Wrangler

I suspect that the change to the camcorder is in firmware, which can be updated by Canon when the unit is sent in for servicing - that was the case with several items with the original XL1.

Sounds like the technology was licensed from another company and that license may have expired. And the other company and Canon could not come to an agreement over price. It may even have been some thing complex like Canon licensed from company XYZ, which over the years, was ultimately bought by Sony (or JVC, etc.).

Didn't one of the Canon Hi8 camcorders in the pre A1/L1 era have a film grain effect?
Old January 7th, 2005, 06:57 PM   #24
New Boot

xl2 film grain?

does anyone know what they are replacing the film grain button on the xl2 with?
Jason Hakala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2005, 07:15 PM   #25
Wrangler

Welcome Jason,

To the best of anyone's knowledge here, they're going to do nothing with the button. Here's the original thread on the subject:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...ght=Film+grain

Of course, we'd all like to see a neat new function, or at least something from the menus promoted to "button status" but it doesn't look like that'll happen.

Happy Friday!
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2005, 08:03 PM   #26
New Boot

thanks pete. pretty odd that canon would take away a useless effect for the camera and replace it with an even more useless button. hehe.
Jason Hakala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2005, 08:14 PM   #27
Regular Crew

no more grain button

if you look at the new PDF manual for the xl2 you will see on page 11 that the new switch is labeled color bars now . dp
Old January 7th, 2005, 11:00 PM   #28
Inner Circle

Odd, what are they labelling as the old color bars button??
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2005, 05:00 AM   #29
Regular Crew

no more grain

i will find out in a few days . just ordered one from zotz .dp
Old January 9th, 2005, 07:45 PM   #30
Obstreperous Rex

The way it works now is that there are two buttons for toggling the color bars. The first is the old "color bars / film grain" button which is now labelled only as "film grain." Pushing this button places the color baqrs on "standby." The second button is as it always was... the actual on / off toggle for the color bars.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders