XL2 Image Quality- Low Resolution - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old August 3rd, 2005, 11:27 PM   #16
Regular Crew

final cut

yes, I am looking at Final Cut Pro full-screen preview, and it doesn't have a high quality picture, its not sharp. The picture is good when I am looking at it smaller.

It was the same even after I exported it to dvd. and played it on the computer.

Thank you
Kalil Jalili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2005, 06:48 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy James
S video connections are no good you need a television with component video connections which is a 5 cable connection with a red blue and green cable for video as well as a red and white cable for audio. Also a television that is capable of displaying progressive scan video is essential for a good picture. These televisions are called enhanced definition television or EDTV.
Tommy, I have to disagree with that statement. It simply isn't accurate.

Jay
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2005, 07:30 AM   #18
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Gladwell
Tommy, I have to disagree with that statement. It simply isn't accurate.

Jay
There is 'some' accuracy to Tommy's statement in that component video should yield the highest image quality. However, the problem with his statement as it applies to this scenario is that without some additional expensive hardware, there is no way to obtain component video to feed out to a compatible viewing device. S-Video may not be the 'best', but it's not bad either.

From personal experience, I fed 16:9 60i footage straight out of the s-video connection on the XL-2 into my 65" HDTV. When viewed from the normal viewing distance, the picture was gorgeous. That was with no presets active while taping the material, just straight out of the box settings.

There have been others that have come through here in the past that talk about less than expected image quality from the XL-2. I am wondering if in fact, some XL-2 cameras are performing better than others straight out of the box. We do need to allow for that possibility rather than straight out blame the camera operator.
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2005, 05:24 PM   #19
suspended -- contact admin

The thing that holds back the Canon XL-2 is its inability to shoot 60 progressive frames per secound. The Canon XL-2 can only shoot 30 progressive frames per secound.
Tommy James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2005, 05:37 PM   #20
suspended -- contact admin

Why don't you go to Best Buy and hook up your XL-2 to a Sony XBR television with digital reality creation that upconverts 480i to 960i for a 4 times greater pixel density ?
Tommy James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2005, 05:55 PM   #21
Regular Crew

i have a 65 inch mitsu and even on interlaced (in 24p) the resolution looks better than most DVDs
Robert Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2005, 07:01 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Image quality

Hi eveyone, thank you for your help

I finally got a better image with my xl2, its really good when I play it directly to TV. But when I capture it, its not that good. It is loosing quality

and I can't watch it in big picture.

thank you
Old August 5th, 2005, 05:46 AM   #23
Major Player

Perhaps you are simply having capture problems.

How familiar are you with your NLE's? I know adobe premiere has a slight down-res in the preview window. That's why it's a preview window...

Matt
Matthew Nayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2005, 06:38 AM   #24
Regular Crew

Capture Issues

Hi friends, thank you all, I finally get a better picture with my xl2.

And about the capturing, using final cut pro, after I capture, when I export it normaly NTSC 48khz evendough I capture them in NTSC 48khz, it doesn't have a good quality. but, if I convert it to HD while exporting, the picture is good.

Is it normal to be that way?

thank you
Old August 5th, 2005, 01:25 PM   #25
New Boot

Cupturing issues

Hi, Kalil,
It is nice to hear you are getting good pictures from your XL2. If that is so, you should not get a bad cupture ... I guess! And the quality of the exported picture also should be the same. So, can you clarify it more. May be I can help - though I work on PAL.

Makonnen
Makonnen Woldeab is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders