the basic filters package at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old September 22nd, 2005, 06:05 PM   #1
Regular Crew

the basic filters package

I preface this question with "I looked through past posts", but I wanted a little more info.

I am about to buy the chrosziel matte box and follow focus, and I was wanting to know what filters (the 4x4 size) I should get for a basic kit. I am getting .3, .6, .9 ND filters, and a linear polarizer, but I would like to know what else I need. I am looking at getting some color correcting filters ( basic cooling and warming) since I have tungsten lights. What do you guys suggest?

I would be using these filters on anything from short films to commercials to music videos to corporate videos. Thanks for your help.

Last edited by Joseph Ivey; September 22nd, 2005 at 07:47 PM.
Joseph Ivey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2005, 05:30 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Does anyone who has viewed this post actually have an opinon? I am not trying to be ugly but enough people have viewed this that I would have expected a little more feedback.
Joseph Ivey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2005, 07:13 PM   #3
Inner Circle

You won't find a lot of people using many filters in here. I like my Schneider Black Frost filters quite a bit for video though. Tiffen Ultra Contrasts are pretty cool too, but they're tricky to use. I would think any kind of warming or cooling effect could be done either in post or with warm/cold balance cards. ND and polarizer filters are the most important though, and it looks like you're already on that. I have a set of split diopters that are a lot of fun, but definitely luxury items.
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2005, 02:08 AM   #4
Regular Crew

i also use the schneider black frost filters.
i got a ND, CP and BF filter kit by schneider
Robert Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2005, 03:11 AM   #5
Old Boot

I use:

1/- For reducing DoF by keeping Iris wide open 0.3, 0.6, 0.9 - solids

2/- Linear Pola and grads for "popping" out blue skies. Getting "thru" water and getting those amazing internal reflections of water. reflections on trees of water waves!

3/- Frost for contrast changes.

4/- Skin tone warmer for dramatically affecting skies and also flesh tones

5/- Tabac for heaping browns onto a picture

Now, having "forced" some feel, all the above can then be post adjusted and worked-over.

" I am looking at getting some color correcting filters ( basic cooling and warming) since I have tungsten lights. "

I use WARM and WHITE cards for setting white balance colour correction, these also have GREEN cards, associated with common fluorescent lighting. If you are getting a "mixed" light environment then you need to take a long hard look at what "look" you finally want to achieve. Other than that you will need to analyse what you are capable of changing in terms of the light sources.

Here are some valuable samples of using CC cards for .. well . have a look!

http://warmcards.com/examples.html

http://warmcards.com/

http://warmcards.com/faq.html

PLUS! Here are my links to my list of learning about filters and the like:

http://www.leefilters.com/ShowImageByID.asp?PageID=458

http://www.leefilters.com/downloads.asp

I suppose you need to tell us what you WANT to achieve. I hope the links above will provide you with enough opportunity to explain what you may wish to experiment with.

Hope this helps.

Grazie
Graham Bernard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2005, 11:35 AM   #6
Tourist

grad filters

as far as im aware filters used are uv mainly for protection and haze, circular polarizer, and graduated filters especially the nd set!
Old October 15th, 2005, 02:24 PM   #7
Regular Crew

tabac filter

What exactly is a tabac filter and why are they graduated if in fact they are all graduated? Thanks.
William LiPera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2005, 02:53 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by William LiPera
What exactly is a tabac filter and why are they graduated if in fact they are all graduated? Thanks.
"Tabac" is a colour, sort of orange'ish brown, from the French word for tobacco.
Old October 15th, 2005, 05:16 PM   #9
Regular Crew

tabac filter

Where do you get such a filter and if used with warm card do you use any of the presets and do you balance with the tabc filter on or off? Thanks
William LiPera is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders