XL-2 Output 4 audio channels on firewire??? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old October 12th, 2005, 09:32 PM   #1
New Boot

XL-2 Output 4 audio channels on firewire???

I want to shoot a project using all 4 audio channels on my XL-2 and output to a DVD recorder (in real time) via the firewire connection. However I am under the impression that only audio channels 1 & 2 will be output using this type of connection. Does anybody know if there is a way to get the mixed output of channels 1 & 3 and 2 & 4 on this type of connection?

Thanks

Robert Fox
Robert Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2005, 10:25 PM   #2
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fox
I want to shoot a project using all 4 audio channels on my XL-2 and output to a DVD recorder (in real time) via the firewire connection. However I am under the impression that only audio channels 1 & 2 will be output using this type of connection. Does anybody know if there is a way to get the mixed output of channels 1 & 3 and 2 & 4 on this type of connection?

Thanks

Robert Fox
All 4 channels will come out the firewire pipe, but the other end has to know what to do with it. Some NLE's can capture all 4, some require a second pass, and some can't get the other two at all. I'm not sure how the dedicated DVD recorder will handle it but I suspect it's looking for 2 channel audio and won't respond like you want it to.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2005, 05:10 AM   #3
Major Player

Robert

i just checked my Sony DVD recorder and it has a setting for DV Audio In that can bet set to Stereo 1, Stereo 2 or Mix which sounds like it may be able to handle 4 channels.

I dont have time to test this right now but this would be really good news

when i get to test this i will post a followup
Old October 15th, 2005, 08:35 PM   #4
New Boot

Panasonic DVD recorder

Michael,

Thanks for the tip. My Panasonic has the same options in the setup menu. It dosn't look like we have to option to vary the amount of mix on audio 1 and audio 2 with DV output like we can with analog output when playing back a recorded tape from the camera. However if I can get the mix set correctly when recording it should work fine.

I need to test to see if I record the DV output to the computer and then connect the computer to output to the DVD recorder if I can get the mixed audio.

Robet Fox
Robert Fox is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders