XL2 mic holder at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old March 17th, 2006, 10:47 PM   #1
Regular Crew

XL2 mic holder

Hello,
This may be a dumb question, but is there a way to remove the microphone holder on the XL2? I would like to attach a shotgun mic via the shoe mount, and I don't like the look of the empty mic holder attached to the viewfinder assembly.

Thanks,
Luke
Luke Springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2006, 12:25 AM   #2
Major Player

I don't think you're supposed to be able to remove it - you could leave the mic there just in case you need it for an emergency or something if you don't like it empty.
I guess you could saw it off if it really bothers you, it's just soft rubber/plastic, but I'd hesitate knowing I'll need it one day.
Andrew Khalil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2006, 08:03 AM   #3
Major Player

I think, don't take my wor for it, you can open up the EVF and unscrew it from the inside. I would grab some hex wrenches, some screw drivers, and a digital cam to document your experiment. Take some photos for us all!
Matthew Nayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2006, 09:30 AM   #4
Major Player

on the mic holder where it attaches to the viewfinder on the bottom there is a single screw. Open that and remove the little plate and you can slide off the mic holder
Old March 18th, 2006, 10:33 AM   #5
Trustee

I took off the canon stereo mic, and hooked up an AT897, using the same mic mount.The only difference is that I had to wrap the AT with some hard foam so it would fit snugly and wouldn't jiggle around in the holder. (The AT is thinner than the stock Canon mic).
Bruce yarock
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2006, 10:54 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Springer
Hello,
This may be a dumb question, but is there a way to remove the microphone holder on the XL2? I would like to attach a shotgun mic via the shoe mount, and I don't like the look of the empty mic holder attached to the viewfinder assembly.

Thanks,
Luke
http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.ph...highlight=dual is a post that I had a while back, I use a dual shoe from Mamaya on my cam at times when I want to have the option of switching from the on-board mic to a shotgun. I posted about 8 pics of the setup and a possible configuration of this is something that you might want to consider.

I took a few inches of refrigerator water line tubing and wrapped it around my shotgun to give it the right size to fit in the onboard holder.

Something you might consider.

Miguel
Old March 18th, 2006, 06:44 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I still don't know if I want remove the mic holder, I will look at my other options first. But thanks for the great feedback,

Luke
Luke Springer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders