Canon XL2 purchase at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Closed Thread

Old October 19th, 2006, 01:21 PM   #1
New Boot

Canon XL2 purchase

Hi, i've decided that i am going to buy an XL2; now the question is that what is the reasonable price as I found that they range from 2400 to 3500 (online), any particular store? What about ebay, is it trusted? Pls advise.(Oct 2006) Also, if anyone could pls give some light on choosing NLE and capturing package (running window XP). Much Thanks.

Last edited by T. Pham; October 19th, 2006 at 08:59 PM.
Old October 19th, 2006, 01:24 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Best advice is to shop our sponsor. Excellent prices, superior service.
Old October 19th, 2006, 01:26 PM   #3
Contributor

Any of the merchants who are sponsors of this site are good and trustworthy. I have bought from B&H (http://www.bhphotovideo.com) for years with no problems. B&H has good prices. If you find a price that is much more than 5% less than B&H, it may be a scam. All reputable dealers will have very similar prices. There is probably no more than 10% difference between the lowest price and the highest price when working with legitimate merchants. On a $3500 camera, a price that is a thousand dollars less is probably not going to be legitimate. On eBay...be very careful. Very.
Old October 19th, 2006, 01:30 PM   #4
Major Player

Tung, if you don't need the lens, B&H sells the body for $2895.00.
I recommend picking up a manual lens for it anyway. That will run you an extra $1000.00 but it's highly worth it.
Old October 19th, 2006, 06:41 PM   #5
Tourist

just dont buy from Digital Liquidators, I got ripped off. Their prices looked good, but they gave me cheap batteries, filters, etc. Bad experience overall.
Old October 19th, 2006, 06:53 PM   #6
Major Player

I may be selling mine. If you want a slightly used one that is in great shape, email me off-list. I should know if it's available this weekend.

Thanks.

Kevin
Old October 19th, 2006, 07:03 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Buy B&H and get the extended MAC warranty. It's a great deal!

Mike
Old October 19th, 2006, 08:21 PM   #8
Major Player

I bought mine thru Zotz Digital. Brian, the owner, was of great help with the necesseties of the XL2, but particularly for my needs (which eventually will come down to--what exactly are you going to be doing with your XL2?). Each store will have their deals, but eventually service and great communication was what did it for me.

And I second the motion of buying the MAC warranty (pro version).

Good Luck!

--JA
Old October 19th, 2006, 08:43 PM   #9
New Boot

Thanks for all the inputs.
lol. but i am really tired of those wedding videographers that interfere with the ceremony. So maybe i'll let my brother film mine. Besides, I've been long yearning for this XL2 so i can shoot stuff; a good investment, i think.
Old October 19th, 2006, 10:37 PM   #10
Major Player

An investment was exactly what we bought the XL2 for. Me and my wife were tired of working for other people and decided to go into business for ourselves. A tough choice going into business on your own, but we're having fun nonetheless.

BTW, I graduated from Chapman University in '01. That was another hard decision leaving California, but living here in Texas and working in the southwest has been fun and rewarding (especially with our own XL2!).

--JA

ps-Don't forget that tripod(w/ fluid head)! The XL2 can be a beast to handle...
Old October 19th, 2006, 11:01 PM   #11
New Boot

BTW, I graduated from Chapman University in '01. That was another hard decision leaving California, but living here in Texas and working in the southwest has been fun and rewarding (especially with our own XL2!).

Chapman U is a nice little University. How's Texas? I've been thinking of going to Texas after graduation too, from LLU. to maybe Houston.
BTW, what editing program are you using?
Old October 21st, 2006, 10:13 AM   #12
Regular Crew

We usually buy from B&H but when I bought my first Gl2 is arrived with an issue and they would not work with us so we had to go to canon to get it taken care of. canon came through like a champ but still left a bad taste in our mouth. We now buy all of our gear local. Same price but issues are taken care of immediately. Our favs are showcasevideoinc.com in Atlanta and canonxl.com which is only a short drive from us. John and Brenda at canonXL are amazing and have a great selection of used XL's. Speaking of which.....we are off today to pick up another one from him...LOL

Kinda funny that I saw this thread before I left. I will admit it. I am addicted to DVinfo.net. Do you guys have a support group of some type? ;)

When I look up and see "Welcome back, Bob Sandifer! It's great to see you again" I feel that Chris H really loves me....LOL
Old October 21st, 2006, 02:43 PM   #13
New Boot

My recent experience

Hello-
I bought my XL2 about 5 weeks ago. I shopped local, tried craigslist, and searched online. After much excellent advice gleaned from dvinfo I bought new and bought online. My experience was great, and my Camera was $3600. The store in Seattle which carries XL2 is $4,000 plus tax (add 8+% to that.) If you find an XL2 new online for less than 3,000-$3,500 be WARE. You are probably investing in a camera never intended for sale in the US and without manufacturers warranty. Better to get a new GL2 than grey market XL2 if any camera even arrives! Thanks to Chris and all at DVinfo for the help with my own purchase!
-Dan
Old October 21st, 2006, 05:25 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tung Pham
Hi, i've decided that i am going to buy an XL2; now the question is that what is the reasonable price as I found that they range from 2400 to 3500 (online), any particular store? .
Please let me know where you can buy one with a lens and viewfinder for $2400. I'll buy 1,000 of them. Any honest store will not have one for less that $4,000 or close abouts.
Old October 21st, 2006, 05:27 PM   #15
Obstreperous Rex

You guys will have to discuss that by private email.

See http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=37987 for "Where To Buy The XL2"

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders