XL2 hard case at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders
Canon XL2 / XL1S / XL1 and GL2 / XM2 / GL1 / XM1.

Old October 4th, 2006, 10:11 PM   #1
Regular Crew

XL2 hard case

Hello,
Does anyone have some photos of the inside of the Canon hard case (HC-3200)? I can only find pictures of the outside. I would like to know how well the XL2 is supported in the case. Would a Pelican case be better?

Thanks,
Luke
Old October 5th, 2006, 01:55 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Don't know about that case, but if you are living near the "original" Washington, i.e. Tyne and Wear, I know a place in Sedgefield, that makes a great custom made case.

Mike.
Mike Cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2006, 07:47 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Cassidy
Don't know about that case, but if you are living near the "original" Washington, i.e. Tyne and Wear, I know a place in Sedgefield, that makes a great custom made case.

Mike.
Do tell.... ?
Old October 5th, 2006, 07:58 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi Allen, it's http://www.SwanFlight.com Ask for Sean Dodds, the Manager, he did two cases for me a few months ago. Are you going to the I.O.V. Convention later on this month?
Mike.
Mike Cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2006, 08:07 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Hi Allen, it's http://www.SwanFlight.com Ask for Sean Dodds, the Manager, he did two cases for me a few months ago. Are you going to the I.O.V. Convention later on this month?
Mike.
Thanks Mike, could I ask you what the cases cost (pm or e-mail if you prefer).

And no I won't be at IOV, too busy with work starting with football at Scotland V France this weekend, off to Ukraine on Tuesday then a load of shooting around Scotland for the gaelic department rest of the month... Phew...
Old October 5th, 2006, 07:20 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Sorry, Washington State :) Would you share a picture of your custom case?

Thanks,
Luke
Old October 7th, 2006, 11:40 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Hi Luke, here's some pics. There's foam supporting the lens, it doesn't show in the pics, but the cameras are well cared for in the case. There's room for all the other sort of bits and pieces, you need to take with you on a shoot.
Attached Thumbnails
XL2 hard case-cases1.jpg   XL2 hard case-cases2.jpg  

XL2 hard case-cases3.jpg   XL2 hard case-cases4.jpg  

Michael Cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2006, 11:56 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Thank you very much for sharing the pictures. The cases look very nice and sturdy. I'm sure I could find someone in the US to make such a case when I need one.

Thanks,
Luke
Old October 7th, 2006, 12:10 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I'm sure you'll have no trouble, they make them for Disco gear to be carried about in.
Mike.
Old October 8th, 2006, 04:31 PM   #10
Major Player

Get the Pelican with the fitted foam. MUCH better than the hard case.

http://www.all-pelican-cases-4-less...._1610_xl1.html
Adam Bray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2006, 07:40 PM   #11
Major Player

I agree with Adam. It depends on what you use it for, though. If you travel a lot, don't use it because it doesn't keep the camera safe and it doesn't protect it from people throwing luggage into the belly of a plane. Like I said, I do a lot of travelling, so I just ordered this hard-case:

http://portabrace.com/product_detail_B.php?id=3519

Pelican might be better quality-wise, but the portabrace was cheaper. Depends on the budget. Both can be ordered with custom-cut foam to fit the XL2.

My boss bought the big Canon hard case (in January before I started working at my job) and it's sat next to my desk ever since. I don't use it, because I keep the camera in a Portabrace soft-case. If you REALLY want one, I will sell you mine discounted. Seriously. I'll post some pics when I get to work tomorrow. It's 9 months old and never been used.
Jonathan Kirsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2006, 06:49 AM   #12
Regular Crew

I probably should have said, I do all my work within a 50 mile radius of my home, so It's a case of putting everything I need for the job, in the car boot/trunk, and being able to shoot straight on arrival. If I was going on a plane, God forbid, I would use a foam protected case.
It's a case of "horses for courses"
Old October 12th, 2006, 03:37 PM   #13
Major Player

OK, so I'm recalling my post on the Portabrace. NOT happy with them. Ordered a hard case (from my earlier post) 3 weeks ago, and it STILL isn't here. Ordered it through an A/V company here in town and they were having trouble even getting a hold of anyone at Portabrace for answers. I paid for 2nd day shipping (no help, since it isn't here). Finally got a hold of them yesterday. The case is still in the warehouse! They also said someone put down ground shipping on the invoice, so if I wanted 2nd day, I'd have to pay extra. WTF!?!?! If I was still going to get that case, PORTABRACE is going to pay for the shipping...I mean, it's 3 WEEKS LATE!

Anyway, had my guy at the A/V company drop the order and go with Pelican instead. Should be here tomorrow!

Jonathan
Jonathan Kirsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2006, 04:16 PM   #14
Major Player

The pelican cases are built like tanks and are well worth the money. I don't think you could destroy one if you tried.
Old October 12th, 2006, 04:21 PM   #15
Major Player

Ya, and apparently they have a lifetime warranty that if you break it, they'll replace it. Don't know if that goes for the contents as well, but that would be pretty cool.

Jonathan
Jonathan Kirsch is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders