DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Green screen preset ? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/119898-green-screen-preset.html)

Tim Bickford April 21st, 2008 09:40 AM

Green screen preset ?

I just sold my XL2 and am anxiously awaiting the arrival of my XL H1. I have a green screen shoot to do in a couple of weeks. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a Chroma Key preset or perhaps just some tips. I've been reading over the manual for the HL H1. It sure is a lot more involved than the XL2.

I will be shooting in DV not via SDI.

A preset of some type would sure come in handy.

Thanks

Nick Hiltgen April 21st, 2008 12:00 PM

Hey Tim I've had good luck with my DSC presets they seem to give the most natural color. I would (if I were you) make sure I have some minus green gel on hand for an edge light and, you know, an evenly lit green screen. THis si the way i've done it for my past 5 and have had excellent results.

Tim Bickford April 21st, 2008 05:51 PM

Nick-

Thanks... I'll check it out. I really appreciate the feedback!

Tim

Barry Gregg April 21st, 2008 07:44 PM

Tim;
Use even light on the green screen and keep it 1/2 stop under your foreground. I have had excellent results with my XL-H1. We shoot green screen all the time.
Barry

Daniel Browning April 21st, 2008 11:21 PM

I suggest turning sharpening down to -9 (if you don't have it there already) for HDV recording. That will cut down on compression, sharpening, and keying artifacts.

Tim Bickford April 22nd, 2008 05:23 AM

Thanks again! This is all very helpful.

Nick, where do I find the DSC preset?

Per Johan Naesje April 22nd, 2008 09:17 AM

Tim, you'll find Nick's preset here:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showpost....8&postcount=66

Tim Bickford April 22nd, 2008 10:27 AM

Thanks again!

What exactly was this preset created for?

Tim

Nick Hiltgen April 22nd, 2008 02:28 PM

The preset was created as a request, it's intended to maximize the accuracy in color so that someone could have the most versatility in post. It's not so much of a "look" as it is a really good starting point (after white balance of course)

I hope they work out well for you, please note that the 60i and 24f are different!

Tim Bickford April 22nd, 2008 02:49 PM

Nick-

Thanks again!

In which way do 60i and 24f differ than the XL2? Also... would you recommend 60i or 24f for green screen?

Nick Hiltgen April 22nd, 2008 04:58 PM

Don't have an XL2 so I'm not sure, I know there is a slight red shift (I think) between the 60i and the 24f. If it's solely a green screen thing I believe that 60i yields a sharper moving image, but I think 24f looks better.

(sorry I can't be of more help, more or less I'd say it's pretty much an aesthetic choice)

Tim Bickford April 22nd, 2008 05:07 PM

I am working on a spoof of American Idol. The actors are all in some pretty colorful costumes. I really want to give it the look and feel of American Idol. I was thinking anything 24P/F would give it a more cinematic look. Perhaps I should shoot 60i for more of a video look. However, if the chroma keying is going to work best in 24f I may go that way.

I will be getting my XL H1 before the end of the week. I don't even have the camera yet and I feel overwhelmed.

Thanks again!

Nick Hiltgen April 23rd, 2008 08:45 AM

if you're spoofing american idol (or just about anything in reality TV) I would say go with the 60i I don't think that the 24f or 60i is inherently better or worse for green screen. The other plus in this case is if you decide you want a progressive look you can deinterlace in post.

Tim Bickford April 23rd, 2008 08:48 AM

Thanks again Nick! When the project is complete I'll post a link from this post with my final settings.

Nick Hiltgen April 23rd, 2008 12:09 PM

No problem Tim, enjoy your new camera!