Service Manual/schematic- tape transport ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old January 28th, 2009, 03:09 AM   #1
Trustee

Service Manual/schematic- tape transport ?

The tape transport on my H1 stopped working on a shoot yesterday. Actually, the tape door wouldn't close, and when I turned it upside down, a rubber guide roller fell out. A friend who does computer and eletronic repairs looked inside and said that there was also a retainng (?) screw missing.
I'd like to avoid having to pack it up and send it to Canon, especially if it's not a big deal to fix.
Anybody have a link to a schematic or service manual pdf?
Thanks
Bruce S. Yarock
Yarock Video and Photo
Bruce S. Yarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2009, 04:58 PM   #2
Trustee

Sorry to hear about this unfortunate event, especially since that is my old camera! However, I am 99.9% sure that you are not going to be able to locate schematics or service manuals anywhere. Because Canon perform all of their own service in a few select locations, service manuals are not distributed. So unless someone from Canon has leached one from there few service centers, you will probably have to send it in for service. Sorry.

Maybe someone can be of more help but I recall hearing this from the grandmaster himself ( I am referring to Mr. Hurd).
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2009, 05:06 PM   #3
Trustee

Marty,
Thanks for the reply. I really do love your old camera, and have shot lots of footage with it. Several months ago I sent it back to Canon for tape transport problems and an overhaul, and they might have warrantied this problem. But i took it to a lcal guy and he's charging me $200. I hate to pay the money, but otherwise i would have had to ship it to canon, wait a couple of weeks, and maybe still get charged.
Btw, did you ever get the Letus? i bought the Extreme, and have been enduring the 35mm learning curve, loving the look, but struggling with focus, set up, etc.
Regards
Bruce Yarock
Old January 29th, 2009, 05:49 PM   #4
Trustee

I had the LetusXL for a very brief period and basically hated it! It was nice to mount directly on the XL body, however it had a 1.9x magnification and lost a lot of light. I was not happy at all with the softness of the image and I could just tell I was shooting a piece of ground glass.

I have not had the cash or the opportunity to shoot with the extreme yet but hear it is a lot better. I like clear, clean images and the LetusXL just wasn't cutting it for me.

When comparing clips with and without I always preferred the amazing HD image of the straight lens, despite it having such a deep DOF. I guess I want both shallow DOF and amazingly crisp images. But like the saying goes....there is no free lunch.
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2009, 05:54 PM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

Service manuals are not in public distribution -- they're practically impossible to obtain.

The quoted $200 price is more than fair and is in fact a very good deal. Jump on it.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2009, 06:36 AM   #6
Trustee

Chris,
This guy is basically a camera repair shop. When I brought the camera in, his tech told me it looked simple, and that it should be around $50. They called me the next day and said that it was "more complicated" yada yada yada, and that it would be $489!!!. I told the the girl on the phone that I had recently had an overhaul by Canon, including the tape transport, which had cost $475, and that I would send it back to Canon. She puit me on hold and talked to her boss, then came back on and said they would now do it for $199, but with no warranty( I could try it in the shop). So i asked her if the $199 job and the the $489 job were the same , minus the warranty. She said " yes", so I told her to go ahaed.
I think that we're in the wrong part of this business.
Bruce Yarock
Yarock Video and Photo
Old February 6th, 2009, 01:04 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Being VERY active in the camera repair industry myself now for over 30 years, I can guarantee you that a photographers or videographers that is worth a darn make much more money then any camera repair person. The camera repair industry is getting smaller and smaller as we speak as their is no big money in it.

As for service manuals, the law requires that they sell them and parts too. The law doesn't dictate the price though. If you still need a manual, let me know I can see what I can do to help.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders