4-channel audio hell at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old February 6th, 2009, 03:02 AM   #1
Tourist

4-channel audio hell

Hi:

I am new to the forum and my XL-H1a. I have taken several weeks to explore the docs, search around on this site, and try a few test shots with front mic (left and right when in stereo mode) and two (mono) XLR mics plugged into the back. With my set-up I have a total of 4 channels of audio counting the stereo front mic and two mono XLR mics

It seems that this camera can only record 2 channels, but can playback any combo of 4 channels - I am coming to a whole new meaning for the phrase "phantom power" with respect to Canon's marketing around this product line. Can anyone confirm that this is really the situation? Is there any way to capture audio to all 4 channels during a video shoot?

Most of the threads in this forum seem concerned with how to capture 4 channels previoiusly captured from camera into NLE system on computer. My question is on how to get 4 channels of audio captured in the camera during video shoot itself.
Ron Fredericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2009, 08:13 AM   #2
Trustee

Ron, read this thread which sum up some tricks & tips for the H1:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/canon-xl-...cks-xl-h1.html

What you try to archieve is not possible without attaching some kind of adapter or sound mixer to the H1's XLR-inputs.
Old February 6th, 2009, 11:15 AM   #3
Tourist

Hi Per Johan:

Thanks for your suggestion. I suppose a mixer will be one viable solution, but then all the buttons on the "H1 a/s" camera allow me to select most reasonable 2-channel combinations of front mic and the two rear XLR mic inputs. But I simply can not record all 4 channels seperatly as the "H1 original" seems to allow.

I have read many threads on this board that reference audio including the one you suggested. But I am finding that the "H1" is an inadequate reference. The H1 has XLR rear camera inputs titled CH1/CH3 and CH2/CH4 respectively, while the H1a and H1s only have rear inputs titled CH1 and CH2 respectively. Other areas of the camera also have similar labeling differences with respect to audio. I can only assume that the menu system is different too. Sad to realize, that with all the improvements marketed for the "H1 a/s" vs. "H1 original", audio seems to have been messed up on the new a/s versions.

I just can't belive it now that Canon would have called this an improvement over the "H1 original":: "you can only record any 2 channels during a video shoot but you can playback any mix of all 4 channels".

So references within this discussion board probably work fine in most cases for casual reference to "H1" but when it comes to audio, I think future discussions may need to state something like "H1 original" vs "H1 a/s" for example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Per Johan Naesje View Post
Ron, read this thread which sum up some tricks & tips for the H1:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/canon-xl-...cks-xl-h1.html

What you try to archieve is not possible without attaching some kind of adapter or sound mixer to the H1's XLR-inputs.

Last edited by Ron Fredericks; February 6th, 2009 at 11:19 AM. Reason: correct spelling of Per Johan's name
Ron Fredericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2009, 11:33 AM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Fredericks View Post
I just can't belive it now that Canon would have called this an improvement over the "H1 original":: "you can only record any 2 channels during a video shoot but you can playback any mix of all 4 channels".
I agree that Canon should have enabled this function.
On the other hand, being out in the field shooting, I have more than enough to monitor 2 channels for live audio recording in the same time as I should do the video recording. So my question is: Could you possibly be able to do 4 channels recording in one pass!?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders