Using front mic and XLR simultaniously? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old January 20th, 2010, 08:26 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Using front mic and XLR simultaniously?

Hi there,

I would like to use my standard Canon front mic together with one of my XLR inputs at the back of my XLH1...but...I've not managed to do so. I've tried many options and posibilities, but it seems not to be possible to use the front mic and one of the XLR inputs together!

Has anyone a clue? Thank a million!

Rob
Old January 20th, 2010, 02:32 PM   #2
Major Player

Hi Rob,

This was one of the fixes in the XL H1S update. If you are using the original H1, then you cannot use the front mic and an XLR mic at the same time.

Hope this helps,

Michael
Michael Galvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2010, 06:35 PM   #3
Major Player

Could you not place a small patch cable between the front mic and the xlr socket on the back and therefore use the front mic with the rear mic sockets - plus another mic in the other rear socket.
Dave Gosley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2010, 10:51 PM   #4
Major Player

Sure, you can convert the front mic's connector to work with one of the XLR connectors on the camera.

But natively, the camera cannot do this. Only the 's' version can.
Old January 21st, 2010, 09:39 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Galvan View Post
Only the 's' version can.
Does this mean that the XL-H1A can not use both front mic and XLR at the same time?
It is only the XL-H1S?
Trond Saetre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2010, 12:29 PM   #6
Major Player

Actually the 'S' and 'A' version can do this.

should've mentioned the 'A' as well.
Old January 25th, 2010, 10:02 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Galvan View Post
Sure, you can convert the front mic's connector to work with one of the XLR connectors on the camera.
Michael - do you have first hand experience of doing this? I have a few questions as to the parts you used - did you rewire the mic plug?
Peter Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2010, 06:33 PM   #8
New Boot

Can the on board mic take Phantom power?

Boy this is a bummer. I've had the camera for a long time and never needed this but I'm shooting with a wireless lav yet also need the camera mic as backup - TOMORROW. Since I post in FCP7 (and don't want to go to 12 bit) using channels 3/4 is not an option. If I attach the on board mic with a short XLR cable can it run off of the camera's phantom power? Or do I need a separate power source, and if so, what?

Thanks.
Jeff Mueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2010, 04:52 AM   #9
Regular Crew

I don't think it is possible to power the standard Canon XLH1 mic seperatly. It is a condenser mic so it needs phantom power. The mic has two jacks, one to support the audio and I think the other powers the mic. In my opinion you cannot power the mic by XLR (48V switch at the back of your XLH1), when you adapt the 3,5 mm mini jack to XLR. The mini jack does not support phantom power.

You'll need a shotgun mic witch XLR input, or just record the audio separate from your cam with an audio recorder.

Best of luck with your shoot!
Old February 14th, 2010, 07:19 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Good evening,

with the xlh1a I have run front and back mics simultaniously.

dale

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders