Editing two H1 docs at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old March 27th, 2006, 10:42 AM   #1
Major Player

Editing two H1 docs

Although I'm not completely finished shooting, I am currently editing two documentaries shot on the H1, one in HDV and one in SD (intercutting footage originated last year on the XL2). I am shooting in the HDV mode (1080i) for both, since tests I've done seem to indicate that it works best for SD as well - do your own tests though, because everyone seems to have a different opinion... I am posting the info below because it took me a while to get straight answers, so I hope it saves you some time...

I feed the G5 quad computer with the Sony deck, and here's the point of this post - I am able to edit HDV with an external monitor using the DeckLink HD Pro card. This is a big deal to me because I make films for television and feel handicapped using a computer monitor, although I have two very nice 23" Apples.

I had to by a new amp with a digital audio input, since that is the output from the card (bummer since I had a nice old rack-mount amp). For video I use component out to a 26" Sony HD TV I bought at Circuit City.

So far the system works flawlessly, I am able to edit exactly as I have in DV, with one computer monitor for Browser and Windows, and the other for my Timeline.. and realtime viewing on a TV set that approximates the end venue...

And since I know someone will ask, 24f is not an option with the card... Steve Rosen
Steve Rosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2006, 11:03 AM   #2
Major Player

I think an HD card is a must for monitoring. I didn't know the Blackmagic supported HDV. That's very cool.

I usually edit in DVCproHD, and my Kona LH gives me analog and SDI-HD or SD monitoring. I often hook up the analog HD outputs to my LCD 720p HD projector just because I can while editing. Clients do enjoy the big screen quality while previewing edits.

There's no way I could ever go back to "digital cinema desktop preview"--only--again. And of course, there is no live monitoring through an HDV deck.

Plus, I've had fun capturing HD movies from my satellite box.
Barlow Elton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2006, 12:34 PM   #3
Major Player

Monitor

And a CRT and HDTV monitor is the only way you get real light and color values.
Jack D. Hubbard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2006, 12:48 PM   #4
Major Player

I can output to my seperate Sony 20" CRT when I need to do color correction. I have to switch the card's settings to analog to do it.. I haven't experimented with this feature yet, so I hope it in fact does work...
Steve Rosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2006, 12:55 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack D. Hubbard
And a CRT and HDTV monitor is the only way you get real light and color values.
Agreed, but projection is a lot of fun!!
Barlow Elton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2006, 02:08 PM   #6
Starway Pictures

Wow Barlow. You've got my dream setup. I don't have the space to run my HD-SDI out from the Decklink to a projector. But that would be a great way to work. Especially if you're working on narrative projects intended for the big screen.

When I was in college I would often sit at the moviola for a few hours cutting 16mm. And then I'd thread the reels up on the dual projector (mag and picture) and watch it projected to see if the editing was too intense for large projection. I was always amazed how many micro changes I'd make to the cut based on watching it on the projector.

I miss working that way.
Robert Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2006, 05:50 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Sanders
Wow Barlow. You've got my dream setup. I don't have the space to run my HD-SDI out from the Decklink to a projector. But that would be a great way to work. Especially if you're working on narrative projects intended for the big screen.

When I was in college I would often sit at the moviola for a few hours cutting 16mm. And then I'd thread the reels up on the dual projector (mag and picture) and watch it projected to see if the editing was too intense for large projection. I was always amazed how many micro changes I'd make to the cut based on watching it on the projector.

I miss working that way.
It is alot of fun to work on narratives with a projector. In the home studio, I normally project to a portable 80" DaLite screen, which doesn't take up much space and doesn't require a long throw. But every now and then, I'll wheel the computer out to the theater room and project onto my DIY 12ft screen, which is a blast and is a nice way to look at an edit at the end of the day.

It really helps to give the material the theatrical ambience we all crave for narrative features (and docs too!), and like you pointed out, you might react to edits differently on the big screen then you might with a typical monitor, HD or not.

Yes, I'm spoiled. But Robert, you have my dream H1 setup...so NA NA NA NEEENER!! ;-)
Barlow Elton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders