High pitch noise - using kona lhe with CANON XLH1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old March 21st, 2006, 01:14 PM   #1
New Boot

High pitch noise - using kona lhe with CANON XLH1

We are trying to capture all our wilds for our feature film.
We are having a problem with a high pitch tone in our capturing.
Workflow is:
1- VIDEO canon xlh1 - out HDSDi for video into kona lhe into FCP (codec DVCPROHD). We are PAL.
2- AUDIO sound out of analogue canon xl h1 into the kona lhe into FCP.

We get this weird high pitch tone.

We can't seem to find any way to work around the kona for audio. We have tried to find a way in FCP to choose a separate audio but no joy.

Any suggestions to solve this would rock our world !
David Mills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2006, 03:38 PM   #2
Major Player

If the audio problem isn't cable related, then you could bypass the Kona and just go stereo RCA to miniplug into the back of the G5. The port actually has a good quality sound chip so if you get a good mini cable, it should work surprisingly well. I would recommend getting a slight boost from a portable mixer before capturing the audio though.
Barlow Elton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2006, 03:51 PM   #3
Major Player

3 Things to check out:

- Change cable
- Connect the audio to something else like a amplifier to check if the pitch is there as well.
- Connect something else to the kona (like a CD player) to check out if the Kona board is not right or so.
Vincent Rozenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2006, 02:01 PM   #4
New Boot

Thanks for your replies.
We have checked cable..the high pitch sound only appears when we use the kona.

...then you could bypass the Kona and just go stereo RCA to miniplug into the back of the G5....

Barlow ,how do we get the audio in avoiding the kona. IN FCP it seems we cannot avoid this. WE HAVE A TASCAM sound card and would use this for audio if we can. But we can'tseemto find a a setting in the capturing in FCp which allow us to HD SDi for video and a separate method for audio. It allays routes thru the kona.

3 Things to check out:

- Change cable
- Connect the audio to something else like a amplifier to check if the pitch is there as well.
- Connect something else to the kona (like a CD player) to check out if the Kona board is not right or so.

Have done all these chacks and thge sound is there. So does this means that the card is wrong.??

Starting to meltdown here... We have had our editor here now for a week and cant seem to find a solution. many thanks for your ideas...
Old March 22nd, 2006, 02:52 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Mills
Thanks for your replies.
We have checked cable..the high pitch sound only appears when we use the kona.

...then you could bypass the Kona and just go stereo RCA to miniplug into the back of the G5....

Barlow ,how do we get the audio in avoiding the kona. IN FCP it seems we cannot avoid this. WE HAVE A TASCAM sound card and would use this for audio if we can. But we can'tseemto find a a setting in the capturing in FCp which allow us to HD SDi for video and a separate method for audio. It allays routes thru the kona.

3 Things to check out:

- Change cable

Have done all these chacks and thge sound is there. So does this means that the card is wrong.??

Starting to meltdown here... We have had our editor here now for a week and cant seem to find a solution. many thanks for your ideas...
You could try moving the KONA to another slot in your computer. Maybe just reseating the card will clear the noise...?

Try moving it away from other cards. It could be picking up interference.
Stephen Finton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2006, 04:42 PM   #6
Major Player

David,

Under the FCP menu/Audio Video Settings, go to your capture preset tab and click on edit. Under "Quicktime Audio settings" change the input device from Kona analog audio to built-in audio.
Old March 22nd, 2006, 05:11 PM   #7
New Boot

high pitch noise - using kona lhe with CANON XLH1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barlow Elton
David,

Under the FCP menu/Audio Video Settings, go to your capture preset tab and click on edit. Under "Quicktime Audio settings" change the input device from Kona analog audio to built-in audio.

fantastic...we're working on it..manythanks!!
Old March 22nd, 2006, 05:39 PM   #8
New Boot

Quote:
David,

After 1 week of trying to solve our audio issues your suggestion has rockedour world! Our editor has promised to sing 2 songs at the local karaoke pub if we can also solve the timecode issue.

In short , our editor wants to know if it is possible to get FCP to read the timecode from the HDV tapes in the camera because at the moment timecode is not duplicated direct from the tape.
~FCP creates its own timecode starting 0000000.
Old March 22nd, 2006, 11:08 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
After 1 week of trying to solve our audio issues your suggestion has rockedour world! Our editor has promised to sing 2 songs at the local karaoke pub if we can also solve the timecode issue.

In short , our editor wants to know if it is possible to get FCP to read the timecode from the HDV tapes in the camera because at the moment timecode is not duplicated direct from the tape.
Glad it worked for you David. I only ask that your editor sings "Anarchy in the UK" and "God Save The Queen" for me at Karaoke night...and hey, why not capture it in HD and post a clip? *smile*

btw, I have yet to get timecode from the HDV tape recordings through the SDI/Kona combo. I tried capturing SDI with HDV device control to get the tc, but FCP wouldn't have it. My hope is this capability might be added to FCP6. In the meantime, you might try Googling for a BNC toRS 422 adapter of sorts, and that way you might at least get timecode transferred, but you wouldn't have actual device control. I suppose the other possibility might be if there's a way to control the camera via LANC and derive tc that way. Actually, with a LANC to serial port adapter, this may work. Anyone ever tried LANC control of Canon camcorders?

Anyway, good luck. Enjoy editing in DVCproHD because if you ever try the HDV, you'll probably run right back to the intermediate approach.

Post some pics from your film if you can.

Thanks,

Barlow

Last edited by Barlow Elton; March 23rd, 2006 at 09:54 AM.
Old March 23rd, 2006, 03:54 PM   #10
New Boot

Quote:
Glad it worked for you David. I only ask that your editor sings "Anarchy in the UK" and "God Save The Queen" for me at Karaoke night...and hey, why not capture it in HD and post a clip? *smile*

btw, I have yet to get timecode from the HDV tape recordings through the SDI/Kona combo. I tried capturing SDI with HDV device control to get the tc, but FCP wouldn't have it. My hope is this capability might be added to FCP6. In the meantime, you might try Googling for a BNC toRS 422 adapter of sorts, and that way you might at least get timecode transferred, but you wouldn't have actual device control. I suppose the other possibility might be if there's a way to control the camera via LANC and derive tc that way. Actually, with a LANC to serial port adapter, this may work. Anyone ever tried LANC control of Canon camcorders?

Anyway, good luck. Enjoy editing in DVCproHD because if you ever try the HDV, you'll probably run right back to the intermediate approach.

Post some pics from your film if you can.

Thanks,

Barlow

Barlow you warned me thatmaking a feature was like going to war... As we stand we have about 10 days to go and fighting hard to keep afloat of it all. We found Bizarre 10 frame slip on a tape . Do you get that as well?

Anyway I will try and post some stills as soon as we get the head above the water...cheers for your help
Old March 23rd, 2006, 04:48 PM   #11
Major Player

I haven't had any slip in audio either through the Kona card or built-in...and I've captured entire 24F 1hr tapes in a single pass and been fine.

Good luck, hope things work out.
Old March 25th, 2006, 12:56 AM   #12
Major Player

Quote:

David,

I was able to capture SDI output (from HDV tape) with timecode this evening. Device control works but FCP seems to lose VTR communication when attempting an automated batch capture of clips.

All you need is a RS422 to Control L (LANC) adapter, and plug into the LANC port of the H1. You can do a capture now and just manually stop captures.

If you have the disk space and dont' want the hassle, I recommend capturing this way to get the timecode, but just capture entire tapes in a single pass in order to avoid as much wear and tear on the camera as possible. DV100 takes about 60 GB per hour, so it's not trivial, but it might be manageable this way. At least when there's support for the H1 in FCP in the future, you will have a way to redigitize your project if necessary.
Old March 27th, 2006, 05:15 PM   #13
New Boot

Sorry for taking time to get back. We are 10 days to go and looking for the extra burstof energy.We get a consostent 10 frame thing.So we are living with that...over 40 tapes...a bit tricky. I will look at the controller for the rest ofthe capture. Thanks for that. Will post something as soon as I can. Editor DID NOT come good on herpromise inthe karaoke !
David Mills is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders