My Settings plus Footage - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old May 5th, 2006, 08:21 PM   #31
Regular Crew

Chris, did I miss something!

Did you get a XLH1?
Bill Taka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2006, 09:17 PM   #32
Obstreperous Rex

Bill I wish it was a GL H1.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2006, 10:11 PM   #33
Regular Crew

Chris, I shoot all outdoors and I have tried everyone's preset, however I have yet to come up with a natural look. It seems the combination of exposure and natural light angle is effecting my presets. Have you come up with one that is giving you a wysiwyg look?
Bill Taka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2006, 10:28 PM   #34
Obstreperous Rex

Bill as you can see from my frames, everything I've done so far has been low light at dusk because my day is so filled up with other stuff I gotta do! Meaning I haven't had enough time to scout my own presets very much. The one thing I wanted to accomplish this weekend is a couple of different "film noir" styled black and white modes because I'm such a big fan of that kind of look.

In my opinion it's going to be very difficult to get what you're looking for, for two reasons. First, it's because the XL H1 out of the box doesn't give you the "reality" look. Instead you get the "Canon" look. Lots of folks prefer the Canon look to the real-world look, that's why they keep buying Canon cameras over and over. There's something about the Digic processor and a type of color that Canon calls "memory color." For the folks who don't like it, fortunately you can dial in whatever color you want.

The other reason is because outdoor light is constantly changing, from time to time and place to place. Where I'm at in Texas, we've just had some major rainfall (finally) and the daylight constantly cycles especially with all the different kinds of clouds the sunlight filters through. Just this evening toward sunset it was dark, then some clouds parted, it became bright, then dark as the clouds rolled in again, then bright when the sun reached the horizon under the cloud layer -- then the hues went all over the map, everything golden then orange then red -- then dark as the sun finally went down. All in the course of less than an hour.

On a typical cloudless summer day in Central Texas the color temperature outdoors will remain consistent from 9am until 7pm, and I can come up with a preset for that if I tried long and hard enough, but I doubt it would match *your* lighting wherever you are. To me outdoor light is a dynamic and constantly changing thing, and even when it ain't, it's different from the sunlight you're getting over at your place.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2006, 11:42 PM   #35
Regular Crew

Yes I agree with you Chris, that is exactly it, the "dynamic outdoor lighting" in fact I have concluded for color, it's best to adjust the presets sparingly and color grade in post as I have done in the past with my XL1/XL2. No doubt blacks and highlights are more useful for custom presets.
Bill Taka is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders