a clip with 14x lens all manual - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old May 18th, 2006, 02:27 PM   #16
Major Player

Steve, Thanks for feedback. Not sure what you mean by frame blending. Do you see it in dialogue scene?

Shot HDV 25F, captured HDV 1080 50i, edited in FCP 5.1 changing speed 50 to 70 %, quick editing, it took me probably 3 hours to put it all together, plus encoding H264 another 20 min. (I probably should do slow mo in Shake, by building extra frames. Had never done that, will do probably next week)

Output via Compresor to H264 custom size, there is a Frame reodering option, not sure what it means, and do not remember whether I chose it.
Oleg Kalyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2006, 03:21 PM   #17
Trustee

Some decent work in that clip, Oleg. What preset settings did you use on the H1? I did notice some overlapping clips and slowing of soundtrack in parts, but this may have just been the compression and download.
I liked the close-up face footage - very nice stuff. Have you also tried the 16X MF?
Old May 18th, 2006, 11:50 PM   #18
Major Player

Tony, thanks, should be no overlapping clips or slowing of soundtrack.

I have not used 16x lens, couldn't find it in Moscow. Got 14x, and really liked it. I assume difference is built in ND filter in 16, don't know about pic quality, I actually feel better to control exposure via external ND and other filters, getting exposure measurements through light meter, substracting Filter factor, etc, makes me feel more like a photographer. Onother note, I like manual lens for the reason of focusing, no matter what people here saying about veiwfinder if you use manual lens it's not too much a factor anymore, you go back a forth and lots of times go with the feel of focusing ring, just checkingpoints of no focus, can't do it with stock lens, motor...

I will post CF settings later, have to pull my camera, also I really think using light meter really helps, exposure change of a stop eigther way changes the quality of the picture, (talking about latitude).

Regards, Oleg.
Old May 19th, 2006, 12:56 AM   #19
Trustee

The only really soft focus that I noticed was the shot of the very last man's face shown near the end of the clip. The first half of the clip tended to rise and fall gently in the tighter shots and this is where the IS of the 20X lens would have helped. I agree with you about the manual focus control of the image, and although AF helps in some circumstances there is nothing quite like having full control via a full manual lens.

The 14X MF lens is a really nice optic, but I much prefer the 16X MF lens.

I'm off today to France for 3-weeks of filming, so will view your CF settings when I return. Sadly, I havn't yet bought a new 16X Manual Servo lens to replace the one that was stolen in Spain a few weeks ago, so I'll have to do most of the filming with the 20X IS lens.
Old May 19th, 2006, 04:25 AM   #20
Major Player

My CP prefs, on this session Hope it helps

Gam:Cine2
Kne:Low
Blk:s
Ped:-1
Set:-1
Shp:0
Hdf:m
Dhv:0
Cor:2
Nr1:0
Nr2:m
Cmx:Normal
Cgn:1
Cph:-2
Rgn:1
Ggn:2
Bgn:1
Rgm:1
Rbm:2
Grm:0
Gbm:0
Brm:0
Bgm:0
Old May 19th, 2006, 04:54 AM   #21
Trustee

Thanks for that Oleg - I haven't got access at the moment to a H1 to try your presets, so I'll keep it for reference for the future. I did try to input similar presets into the XL2 (not the same, I know) but found it slightly too strongly biased towards green on some subjects for my liking, especially if the main background is white or light blue.
Old May 19th, 2006, 05:17 AM   #22
Major Player

To me it's a bit orangy, on highlights on difectly lit subjects, I'd try to get less of that, on the other hand it it looks warm and saturated. Not too many films have that look lately, one that comes to mind is Lara Croft.
I've checked recent trailers, it it seems that producers and DPs go more for pale magentish look on skin, similar to original settings of H1.
Old May 19th, 2006, 06:48 AM   #23
Trustee

Yes, I agree that the actual clip looks warm on faces, although I prefer this to having too cool colours. The very slight green that I mentioned with the same settings on the XL2 probably look different on the H1 anyway,
but even then I doubt that it really matters unless it was placed beside footage set at neutral tone.

Most outdoor nature subjects and landscapes tend to look better with colours more vibrant, but with humans, especially facial skin tones, it is often important to have a more neutral setting - although I'm not keen on seeing everyone walking around like pale white or pink Victorians, as if they've never seen the sun or stepped outside the door...

I suppose, like most things, it all boils down to personal taste and what you are happy with.
Old May 19th, 2006, 12:29 PM   #24
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Davies-Patrick

I'm off today to France for 3-weeks of filming...
A bad storm is raging in northern France tonight...damn...I'd better not pay the ferry man until it reaches the other side!
Old May 19th, 2006, 01:41 PM   #25
Major Player

HOPe you'll be safe. Oleg.
Old May 20th, 2006, 03:09 PM   #26
Obstreperous Rex

Oleg, I would like to add your settings to our Custom Preset Download library. Do you have a name that you prefer for this preset? It can be eight letters long. I thought about calling it "OlegWarm" but of course its name is really up to you. Thanks in advance,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2006, 03:44 PM   #27
Major Player

Chris, sure, OlegWarm, sounds great, I take it as a compliment!
Just to add I had a skin feature setup on medium.
Old May 20th, 2006, 04:10 PM   #28
Obstreperous Rex

Thank you Oleg, I will add your preset and notes to our download library.

Old May 21st, 2006, 01:09 PM   #29
Obstreperous Rex

Oleg's CPF file is now available for downloading at http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showpost....20&postcount=7

Old February 1st, 2007, 12:25 AM   #30
Tourist

Strange zebra-ish look with this cp

Oleg, I tried your preset in Venice Beach, CA today and was impressed with the footage in the lower light conditions. However, all of the sunlit footage has a flickering zebra-ish sparkle to it that attaches to any complicated detail in the shot.

What feature of the preset accounts for this and why would it be used if it makes all lines and detail sparkle.

John Hampton
John Hampton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders