DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   ef adapters (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl-h-series-hdv-camcorders/74130-ef-adapters.html)

Mick Jenner August 23rd, 2006 09:18 AM

ef adapters

I have now got my H1 having changed from the sony Z1,very pleased with it. I have managed to adapt one of Lauri's pre sets for good natural outdoor colour filming here in the uk. I have read the threads re the ef adapters could somebody please clarify what functions you do lose or retain i.e autofocus etc. Secondly I have the option of purchasing the 100-400L (IS) or the 70-200 f2.8 (no IS). Does anybody have any up to date info on useing these lens with the ef adapter. Many thanks Mick

Mick Jenner August 23rd, 2006 02:53 PM

I have found the answer to the adapter question on the Xl2 forum but would still like feed back on the len's including the 300 f4 if possible.

Many thanks

Mick

Lauri Kettunen August 23rd, 2006 08:28 PM

Mick,

When using the EF-adapter you loose autofocus, but image stabilation will function. Myself I would prefere the 70-200mm lens rather than the 100-400mm, for the drawing of these long zooms is not as sharp as those of the primes or the 70-200mm lens.

You will also need a neutral grey filter, or otherwise you end up using the smallest apertures, which is not a good idea.

Mick Jenner August 23rd, 2006 11:27 PM

Lauri,

Many thanks for the reply. The 70- 200 f2.8 is the one I will go for , having now read your comments would the lack of IS on this lens be a problem

Regards

Mick

Johan Forssblad August 24th, 2006 12:49 AM

Hi Mick,
So why not buy the newer 70-200/2.8 IS model and you will get both worlds? (Think Lauri is using that one.) Regards Johan

Mick Jenner August 24th, 2006 01:03 AM

Johan,
£300 uk pounds difference is one reason! but as I will not be useing this lens with a still camera body only on the HD1, tripod mounted. Will I be gaining any benifit with IS

Regards

Mick

Johan Forssblad August 24th, 2006 01:59 AM

Hi Mick,
Many people on this XL H1 forum say you better turn off the IS on the 20x lens as soon as you put it on a tripod so I bet the same is valid with the 70-200/2.8 IS.
Perhaps it's a good idea to stay with the old 2.8 if you always use it on a tripod which you probably should do anyway to get stability enough. (This zoom will look like a 500-1440 mm zoom on a 35 mm SLR camera.)
Save money, not so many lens surfaces, smaller and perhaps lighter too. Less parts which can break or need service. I don't have any of them so I'm not sure. And I think you can get the old model 2.8 lense cheaper now when the IS attracts the DSLR people. Good luck! /Johan

Mick Jenner August 24th, 2006 02:36 AM

Johan,

Many thanks for your help.

regards

Mick

Lauri Kettunen August 24th, 2006 11:45 AM

In my experience the image stabilizer is most of the time not useful. But, occasionally I've had to shoot in very windy situations, and the camcorder and the lens has vibrated above the tripod. In such cases I've found that setting the IS on helps.

Grant Sherman August 25th, 2006 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick Jenner
I have read the threads re the ef adapters could somebody please clarify what functions you do lose or retain i.e autofocus etc.

I think I read somewhere that you can't use HD mode with the ef adaptor. You can only use SD. Is this true?

Ken Diewert August 25th, 2006 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grant Sherman
I think I read somewhere that you can't use HD mode with the ef adaptor. You can only use SD. Is this true?

I'm pretty sure that you just get an 'HD incompatible Lens' message in the EVF that goes away after a few seconds. You get the same message when shooting with the 16x manual.

Chris Hurd August 25th, 2006 05:59 PM

Ken's right. You *can* use the EF adapter for HD recording. Just wait five seconds for the warning to go away.

Grant Sherman August 26th, 2006 03:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
Ken's right. You *can* use the EF adapter for HD recording. Just wait five seconds for the warning to go away.

That's a shame - I'd just convinced myself that an XL2 would be ok, and I didn't have to spend the extra £2000 :-(

Looks like I\'ll have to wait a bit longer to get a proper camera.

Mick Jenner September 7th, 2006 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lauri Kettunen
Mick,

You will also need a neutral grey filter, or otherwise you end up using the smallest apertures, which is not a good idea.

Lauri,
Do you use standard ND filters or are you useing the New Hoya pro digital ones which are designed to work well with digital sensors.

Many thanks

mick

Lauri Kettunen September 7th, 2006 04:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mick Jenner
Lauri,
Do you use standard ND filters or are you useing the New Hoya pro digital ones which are designed to work well with digital sensors.

I have only Canon ND filters designed for the EF-series lenses. This is the first time I hear about such Hoya filters.