ef adapters at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XL H1S (with SDI), Canon XL H1A (without SDI). Also XL H1.

Old August 23rd, 2006, 09:18 AM   #1
Major Player

ef adapters

I have now got my H1 having changed from the sony Z1,very pleased with it. I have managed to adapt one of Lauri's pre sets for good natural outdoor colour filming here in the uk. I have read the threads re the ef adapters could somebody please clarify what functions you do lose or retain i.e autofocus etc. Secondly I have the option of purchasing the 100-400L (IS) or the 70-200 f2.8 (no IS). Does anybody have any up to date info on useing these lens with the ef adapter. Many thanks Mick
Mick Jenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2006, 02:53 PM   #2
Major Player

I have found the answer to the adapter question on the Xl2 forum but would still like feed back on the len's including the 300 f4 if possible.

Many thanks

Mick
Old August 23rd, 2006, 08:28 PM   #3
Major Player

Mick,

When using the EF-adapter you loose autofocus, but image stabilation will function. Myself I would prefere the 70-200mm lens rather than the 100-400mm, for the drawing of these long zooms is not as sharp as those of the primes or the 70-200mm lens.

You will also need a neutral grey filter, or otherwise you end up using the smallest apertures, which is not a good idea.
Lauri Kettunen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2006, 11:27 PM   #4
Major Player

Lauri,

Many thanks for the reply. The 70- 200 f2.8 is the one I will go for , having now read your comments would the lack of IS on this lens be a problem

Regards

Mick
Old August 24th, 2006, 12:49 AM   #5
Major Player

Hi Mick,
So why not buy the newer 70-200/2.8 IS model and you will get both worlds? (Think Lauri is using that one.) Regards Johan
Johan Forssblad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2006, 01:03 AM   #6
Major Player

Johan,
£300 uk pounds difference is one reason! but as I will not be useing this lens with a still camera body only on the HD1, tripod mounted. Will I be gaining any benifit with IS

Regards

Mick
Old August 24th, 2006, 01:59 AM   #7
Major Player

Hi Mick,
Many people on this XL H1 forum say you better turn off the IS on the 20x lens as soon as you put it on a tripod so I bet the same is valid with the 70-200/2.8 IS.
Perhaps it's a good idea to stay with the old 2.8 if you always use it on a tripod which you probably should do anyway to get stability enough. (This zoom will look like a 500-1440 mm zoom on a 35 mm SLR camera.)
Save money, not so many lens surfaces, smaller and perhaps lighter too. Less parts which can break or need service. I don't have any of them so I'm not sure. And I think you can get the old model 2.8 lense cheaper now when the IS attracts the DSLR people. Good luck! /Johan
Johan Forssblad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2006, 02:36 AM   #8
Major Player

Johan,

Many thanks for your help.

regards

Mick
Old August 24th, 2006, 11:45 AM   #9
Major Player

In my experience the image stabilizer is most of the time not useful. But, occasionally I've had to shoot in very windy situations, and the camcorder and the lens has vibrated above the tripod. In such cases I've found that setting the IS on helps.
Lauri Kettunen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2006, 04:59 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Jenner
I have read the threads re the ef adapters could somebody please clarify what functions you do lose or retain i.e autofocus etc.
I think I read somewhere that you can't use HD mode with the ef adaptor. You can only use SD. Is this true?
Grant Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2006, 05:33 PM   #11
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant Sherman
I think I read somewhere that you can't use HD mode with the ef adaptor. You can only use SD. Is this true?
I'm pretty sure that you just get an 'HD incompatible Lens' message in the EVF that goes away after a few seconds. You get the same message when shooting with the 16x manual.
Old August 25th, 2006, 05:59 PM   #12
Obstreperous Rex

Ken's right. You *can* use the EF adapter for HD recording. Just wait five seconds for the warning to go away.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2006, 03:26 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
Ken's right. You *can* use the EF adapter for HD recording. Just wait five seconds for the warning to go away.
That's a shame - I'd just convinced myself that an XL2 would be ok, and I didn't have to spend the extra £2000 :-(

Looks like I'll have to wait a bit longer to get a proper camera.
Grant Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2006, 01:30 AM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauri Kettunen
Mick,

You will also need a neutral grey filter, or otherwise you end up using the smallest apertures, which is not a good idea.
Lauri,
Do you use standard ND filters or are you useing the New Hoya pro digital ones which are designed to work well with digital sensors.

Many thanks

mick
Old September 7th, 2006, 04:51 AM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Jenner
Lauri,
Do you use standard ND filters or are you useing the New Hoya pro digital ones which are designed to work well with digital sensors.
I have only Canon ND filters designed for the EF-series lenses. This is the first time I hear about such Hoya filters.
Lauri Kettunen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL H Series HDV Camcorders