XL1 / XL1S various posts - Page 66 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old October 20th, 2003, 06:28 PM   #976
Wrangler

Videomaker ran an article on 24P a few months ago. You might find it interesting. Joe and Jane Sixpack viewers will never know the difference.
Old October 21st, 2003, 03:46 PM   #977
New Boot

Manual Lenses vs standard

Do the manual xl-1 lenses offer shallower depth of field than the standard 16x?
Just Curious.
Augustine Arredondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2003, 04:41 PM   #978
Warden

DOF would be limited by the maximum aperture (smallest numerical F number). You may want to read this article I wrote for the site. The corresponding DOF thread is here.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2003, 01:56 PM   #979
Regular Crew

export settings for projection

I need to export some footage in Premiere 6.5 for a powerpoint presentation. The DVD and mpeg-2 settings in the mpeg exporter have a frame size of 720 x 480 which looks stretched horizontally in powerpoint. (Which I expect has to do with pixel size on the computer screen.) Does anyone have any advice for an export setting of about that size that I won't have to resize in powerpoint to keep looking natural?

Thanks. This is a great forum.

James
James Sidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2003, 02:21 PM   #980
Regular Crew

HELP audio in- 1/8inch

Hi there. My friend just lent me a sennheiser shot-gun mic, which is using a 1/8inch plug. What do I do to plug that into my camera?

I need it working for tomorrow.

Thanks
forever.
Joshua Cohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2003, 10:05 AM   #981
Regular Crew

Well, just wanted to let everyone know that I was able to figure it out, and it was quite interesting.

I had to plug the 1/8" mini jack into a 1/4" converter, which then pluged into an RCA-F connecter. I plugged that into my short RCA-M connector into the audio 2 port :)

Works great!

Thanks everyone....
forever.
Joshua Cohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2003, 11:06 AM   #982
Trustee

Chris,

If you like the look or feel of 24P you should know that 30P (NTSC) or 25P (PAL) will yield a very similar effect and in some cases a preferred one over 24P when watching on TV/DVD/VHS.

Others have been shooting 60i and converting to 30P in post for over a decade now. I myself have been doing this since the late 90's with deinterlacing software. It is far superior to FRAME mode on the Canon so shoot interlaced with your XL1 and give it a try. You can try it with the demo offered by www.dvfilm.com, just be sure to turn off some of the color correctiong options and only use the 3:2 effect.

There's an article on this software on this site: http://www.videosystems.com/ar/video...aker/index.htm

And here's a link to a "Deinterlacer Shootout": http://home.planet.nl/~snuve011/bram...nterlaced.html
Dennis Hingsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2003, 11:08 AM   #983
Regular Crew

Primes And xl1s

Looking around for folks using primes on their xl1s, wanted to know what sizes are the best to purchase, i.e. 20mm, 35mm, 50mm etc.

Any help is good.

Cheers,

Dick Steele
Dick Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2003, 10:33 AM   #984
Regular Crew

dvx100 anamorphic AND xl1s

Anyone, tried to use a dvx100 anamorphic on the xl1s, fabricating an adapter would be relatively easy. Just do not know if it is worth it. Anyone thought about this.

Cheers,

Dick Steele
Dick Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2003, 11:13 AM   #985
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

That's an interesting question, Dick. But I'd be surprised if it works well. The DVX100's Leica lens is, of course, built-in and probably has a different distance to focal plane (ccd's) than the Canon lenses. I would imagine that such differences would cause troubles with the imaging.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2003, 01:10 PM   #986
Inner Circle

Canon comes clean with Manual Lens/Audio problem

We finally got a Canon tech on the phone last night, and asked about the audio oscillation that occured with the manual 16x lens connected to an older xl1 body. The tech conceded that there was a possibility of conflict, and that he reccomended returning the manual lens. (See the Myster audio Post I put up).

Just so those with xl1 models know about it.
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2003, 03:40 PM   #987
Inner Circle

Just heard from another Canon rep. They are reassesing the problem and have asked to see the lens. We are shipping it off to them. Will keep the board posted.

Richard
Richard Alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2003, 06:22 PM   #988
Regular Crew

On- Camera LCD Monitors

I've been wondering about a good ( & about 5") LCD monitor that is on- camera mountable. I have an XL1s.

I've seen (XL1s) cameras with LCD monitors mounted onto the viewfinder. How do they hook up to the camera so that the image is presented on the screen?

Thanks,

C.
Old November 7th, 2003, 08:00 PM   #989
Regular Crew

Good Quality (Camera Mountable) Shotgun Microphone

I've been looking at the Sennheiser Brand of Shotgun microphones. What are the best quality camera mountable shotgun mics for the use with a Canon XL1s?

Thanks,

C.
Old November 8th, 2003, 02:12 PM   #990
Tourist

Canon XL1 and VTR's

Hello Fellow XL1'ers,

I'm in the process of shopping around for a VTR for my system. I currently capture directly from the XL1 into my Mac, and am looking to upgrade to a more robust capture system. I have been hearing good things about the Sony DSR-1500a. However, in the past I have had problems using Sony products in conjunction with my XL1. For instance, one time I got some footage transferred from 16mm film onto Mini-Dv via a Sony deck. When I put the tape into my XL1, the footage wouldn't sync up and stabilize. I had to rent a Sony deck and capture that way. I have heard other such stories which leads me to believe there is a consistent problem between Sony and Canon products.

So.... if anyone has any recommendations about a reliable VTR to use with my Canon XL1 footage, I'd appreciate the advice. Even better, if someone has actually used the DSR1500 with XL1 footage, let me know if it works.

thanx
thane
Thane Hawkins is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog