XL1 / XL1S various posts - Page 76 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old February 23rd, 2004, 04:48 AM   #1126
Regular Crew

audio input level

Hello everyone,
i interviewed a person who was speaking in the lavalier (Senn. ew122p). i was making the questions behind the camera speaking in a shotgun (Senn. ME66). Both connected to an MA-100.
What i got is the sound in the shotgun is much higher than the lav.
When i played the footage the sound from the shotgun was good (much room sound but i expected that) and the voice in the lav was so law that i had to turn the TV volume to the top. the person had the lav mic close to his mouth (pinned to jacket right under his chin).
Audio level was set to automatic.
Question is: did this happen because of the automatic audio level ? Is automatic audio level the same for L & R channel or is it independent for the two channels?
I have two ew122p lav kits and i regreat i didn't use them both instead of the shotgun.
Thank you in advanced for any help.
Stefano Sarfati Nahmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2004, 05:07 AM   #1127
Wrangler

Auto level probably effects both channels (it is a stereo input on the XL1). The lav mic in the EW122P is only slightly less sensitive than the ME66, but how the lav is setup with the transmitter and receiver in your system could make a major difference. Best to chack and balance levels before a shoot. And manual allways gives better control over levels than auto, but then you do have to ride levels
Old February 23rd, 2004, 05:18 AM   #1128
Regular Crew

Thanks Don,
also, some noise was coming from strong street traffic outside the window which was recorded by the shotgun and not at all by the lav.
I gather that if i have a higher sound down one channel, auto sound level attenuates both L & R channels. Is that right?
Stefano Sarfati Nahmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2004, 02:05 PM   #1129
New Boot

Legit stores

im looking for a place to buy a new camera and forgot the website that tells you the scammers from the real pepole. can anyone tell me the site?

also has anyone ever orderd from expresscameras.com?
i saw some prices that are too good to be true there.

-thanks
Alani Heredia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2004, 02:09 PM   #1130
Wrangler

Click the sponsors link in any of us Wranglers' signatures for those stores which DVinfo.net recommends as the most trustworthy and competitive.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2004, 11:11 AM   #1131
Major Player

Best settings for car crash?

Howdy,
I'll be doing a two cam shoot (both XL1s' of course : ) of a "mock" car crash. I'd like to have your opinions on shutter speeds etc.(one cam probably set up close (but not to close) to the side of the crash which I'll probably use as slo-mo and one from behind/to the side of the car. My question is, for this much movement what would your settings be (you only have one take). I have shot sporting events and the rendered 50% slo-mo was a little too soft.
TIA,
Randy
G. Randy Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2004, 01:53 AM   #1132
Trustee

I've never shot a car crash. Hell, I've only been in two and those were both slow speed so take this with a grain of salt. If you're going to use slow mo You'll want a fast shutter spped but you'll notice that you lose light as a result of it. I say shoot with the fastest shutter speed possible because you will get a chrisper look. Now ither settings will very depending on the script, and how the shot is set up and is planned to work out. best of luck and remember that it might be worth getting a little bit worse shot if you have to be far enough away to keep your camera from getting smashed.
Nick Hiltgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2004, 06:51 AM   #1133
Tourist

Recording from TV

Dear friends. I wonder if any one can tell me weather it is possible or not to record program from TV into Cassette on XL1s.
Many thx to all of you.David
Old February 25th, 2004, 08:37 AM   #1134
Major Player

>>remember that it might be worth getting a little bit worse shot if you have to be far enough away to keep your camera from getting smashed.<<<

True, I have the extender lens so as long as I'm smart enough to judge what distance is safe... : )
I've given this some thought since I posted and I'm thinking the thing to do is to find out from the client what speed they plan for the car to be going upon impact and then do some tests by having my drivers - ed - taking daughter to drive by in front of our house for me to test different shutter speeds....hmmm, now where's that insurance card and my extender?...
Thanks Nick,
Randy
G. Randy Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2004, 10:51 AM   #1135
Obstreperous Rex

Yes it is, at least on NTSC models, as detailed on page 88 of the NTSC manual under the heading "Recording from a VCR, TV or Analog Camera (Analog Line-in)." As you are down under in PAL land, you should consult the manual for the PAL model XL1S. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2004, 08:09 PM   #1136
New Boot

Long recording for the XL1

Can anyone tell me what the best setup, and cost efficient I might add, to setup the XL1 to record uninterrupted footage ( hours and hours). I am thinking using the firewire with a laptop, does it work or are there better and cheaper alternatives?

Let me know.

Thanks a million.

Sjef
Sjef Beekmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2004, 08:53 PM   #1137
Wrangler

If the laptop can capture from the XL1 it should work. Just do not put a tape in the XL1 and have a good power source tht cvan power both the lkaptop and camcorder for as long as you need.

Your capture will be limited by the storage available on the laptop and may be limited by the capture software you are using, and the laptop operating system as well.
Old February 28th, 2004, 04:23 AM   #1138
Tourist

XL1S (PAL) with Nikon lens vs DVX100a

I am considering buying a miniDV Camera with the intention of making short films. I was wondering which would be the right choice: Canon XL1SE (PAL) with a Nikon lens or a DVX100A. But Ifve been able to see any clips or footage from either camera and was wondering if anyone with either camera could give some advice or shows some clips. Well, herefs the two setups Ifm comparing:

Canon XL1SE with Nikon Lens
This is an older camera and has less pixels produced by the CCD's. I've read somewhere that the PAL version produces around 310,000 though. And also it shoots at 25fps which is very close to 24fps. I was wondering if this footage has a similar look as 24p camera or film. I am also thinking of using the mechanical Nikon Lens mount to use Nikon lenses with it. Now I know there is a 7.2x magnification (well, actually as I understand it, its actually because the image produced by the lens is bigger than the CCD chip, so actually only the image at the center of the lens is being captured, resulting in the appearance of a 7.2x magnification) But I have a .25x fisheye wide angle adapter, and if I put that on, it would make the lenses back within useable range (say a 24mm lens turns into a 173mm equivalent lens, and then with the .25x adapter its back to a 43mm equivalent lens) Also, I was wondering how this setup would compare with using a Nikon lens on the P+S Tecnik 35 Mini adapter. (would it look as good and get similar DOF and contrast)

Panasonic DVX100a
This is a new camera and has a 410,000 pixel count and has a nice gamma system which resembles film (but that could be done in post canft it?). It also shoots at 24p, and I've heard it looks great! But the lens is not changeable. How shallow of a DOF can be achieved with this lens?

--So I was wondering which setup would pull off a more cinematic look (24fps feel and a shallow DOF) Any help, advice or clips from either camera would be great!!
Darryl Knickrehm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2004, 11:49 AM   #1139
Tourist

preamps

finding MA100/200 and XL-1 internal preamp to be hissy as mic level, so we are considering using a preamp to go line level into audio 1; is there one which can be used, very mobile, w/XL-1 on shoulder? Battery powered, attaches to camera, etc?
thanks, gretta
Gretta Wing Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2004, 06:03 PM   #1140
Regular Crew

Mounting a CH-910

Does anybody know a creative way to mount the CH-910 onto the XL1s without the use of the MA-100 mounting bracket? I bought an MA-100, but it didn't come with one, so i'm kind of puzzled at this point. If you have any ideas, it would definately help. Thanks!

Gino Terribilini
Gino Terribilini is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog