XL1 / XL1S various posts - Page 84 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old May 16th, 2004, 02:57 PM   #1246
Tourist

thanks Rob.. I think you are right.. sadly, I have no warranty, so Canon, here I come!
Nick Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2004, 06:45 AM   #1247
Regular Crew

Replace plug on Canon ZR1000

As I was raising my mast on my tripod to shoot over a crown, the tip of the remote plug (zr1000) broke off in the XL1s.

Where can I get a replacement cord?

How do I get the tip out of the camera?
419-696-0872
Trig Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2004, 06:22 PM   #1248
Regular Crew

Radio shack carries the 2.5mm jack you seek.

Can't help you with the extraction of the broken tip though.
Mike Hanlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2004, 03:12 AM   #1249
Wrangler

Try Canon parts fro a new replacement, some owner may had one he does not use, so search the various web sites. Also, some dealers that cater to professional users may have some.
Old May 19th, 2004, 02:50 PM   #1250
Regular Crew

shoulder pad question

I have just got my XL1S and seem to have a lot of trouble making the shoulder pad comfortable. Reading a few reveiews on the internet, I see that the shoulder pad is not one of canons best ideas. Do you guys have any suggestions as to where to get a decent shoulder mount for the XL1S or at least a make and model number. Thanks
Andrew Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2004, 03:24 PM   #1251
New Boot

Color jumps

I was shooting in a barn the other night in 30 frames and when i played it back i noticed color jumps....in brightness mainly.

Anyone have any ideas on what this is or what its doing?
Old May 19th, 2004, 04:17 PM   #1252
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

You'd have to tell us more about how you were shooting. When you say "30 frames" what do you mean? Shutter speed? The XL1S only shoots at 30 frames/sec. How were you managing your exposure? Tv? Av? Manual? Etc.

Offhand, I'd guess that you were using a program exposure mode (probably Tv) and something was making your iris flex.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2004, 04:21 PM   #1253

Welcome Andrew,
The standard shoulder pad is a bit of an oddity, so don't think that you're the oddball. I don't think anyone likes it.

The standard upgrade is to get an MA-100 or MA-200. These larger "pads" offer a bit more support (particularly the MA-200) and also feature XLR audio ports. (The MA-200 also features a BNC video-out connection.)

Still, even these won't make the XL1S really comfy. For that you'll need a full-blown shoulder brace such as those offered by Varizoom, DVTec, et.al.

Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

Old May 19th, 2004, 11:58 PM   #1254
New Boot

I use this one:

http://www.cevl.com/shoulderpod.html

it is simple but really confortable.
my arms still thank me of it :)
Bye
Old May 20th, 2004, 03:16 AM   #1255
Wrangler

Also, what kind of lighting did you have?
Old May 21st, 2004, 11:05 AM   #1256
New Boot

XL1 Scams on Ebay

Please beware of scam sellers on e bay of XL1 and Xl1s.

1. They are not legit sellers. Whenasked for payment the ask you to wire funds or use fake escrow services.

2. They say location is most often Canada but when they get in touch with you they are most often in Europe.

3. They as well BUY camera and merchandise and ask to ship Express and want to use escrow but they are fake.

Please do not get fooled.

Here is a list and fake escrow services and some horror stories of people losing big money to these scammers.

Dan
Dan Naygeboren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2004, 11:19 AM   #1257

Indeed, while there are some good deals on eBay, there are also some nasty folks.

We have an extensive permanent thread on this topic in the business section.

Thank you for your reminder.

Old May 22nd, 2004, 10:53 AM   #1258
Regular Crew

Xl1s / Gl2 (xm2)

Hi all,

Sorry to bother you all again but I cannot seem to find the answer to my question this forum. I found something similar in the GL2 forum, but I`m not sure if the tests where a bit biased. Anyway, here`s my question to you hardened camera users. I have recently bought an XL1S and have had a GL2 (we call it XM2 here in the UK) for about 18 months. I am still getting to know the XL1S and all its controls and I`m sure I can make the picture even better than I am getting at the moment. I took my two cameras out to the marina today and took some footage of the boats. The day was perfect, a few clouds and loads of sun. When I got home and grabbed my footage I decided to do a comparison of the footage. Colours where pretty much the same, XL1S was a bit softer, but I know I can sharpen that up a bit from the camera menu. But the footage was pretty much the same. My question is "if in a set of hands of somebody who knows wwhat they are doing, will the XL1S give a better quality picture than the GL2". Humping the XL1S around was a damn site harder than carrying the GL2 around. If the extra weight can be justified I`d happily carry it around, if not, I`ll take the GL2 out with me. I know the XL1S has the added advantage of interchangeable lens and maybe better sound capabilities, but is that it ?

Many Thanks

Andy
Old May 23rd, 2004, 01:32 AM   #1259
Regular Crew

The XL1S Club and Canon

I remember reading somewhere that canon had a XL1S club that users could join by sending in their serial number of the camera, I think that it was only for USA residents though. Does anybody know the web address where I can see about registering and if I have to live in the USA to register. UK doesn`t seem to have anything like it on their site.
Old May 23rd, 2004, 01:59 AM   #1260

The XL1S Owners' Club is a creation of Canon USA. I believe that it only applies to U.S. owners.

Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog