XL1 / XL1S various posts - Page 34 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old August 23rd, 2002, 05:16 PM   #496
Wrangler

Premiere 6 offers the option to use the left or right channel only sound in both channels.

Choose Clip->Audio Options->Duplicate Left to use the left channel.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2002, 05:46 PM   #497
Regular Crew

Thanks, yes I am aware of that, but I wanted to have more control. Is this the standard way people work with dialog?

I just purchased a plug in called PanHandler (i'm waiting for the premiere 6 version) It claims to allow you to make 5.1 sorround sound in premiere.

Any other tips?
J. Cody Lucido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2002, 02:48 PM   #498
Regular Crew

Video Light for XLS-1

I am in need of a light for my Canon XLS-1 so that I can shoot
scenes that are in dark places.

Canon sells this light for the camera off their website:

Battery Video Light VL-10Li
This compact, yet powerful video light can be used for both indoor and outdoor shooting.

I was wondering if anyone has ever used this light for the XLS-1 and if it works well when filming dark areas.

Or if anyone knows of another light that works well with the Canon XlS-1, I would appreciate any info.

Thanks for the help as always. This board is great and everyone is so helpful.
Todd Dilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2002, 02:08 AM   #499
New Boot

Distortion in recordings

Hello everyone,

I have gone through about a dozen recordings all on Panasonic 83 ME tapes (all new) with a new XL1s. I have noticed some distortion (horizontal banding) staggering the recorded images, quite noticible, lasting a fraction of a second.

Don't seem to be any pattern to timing of these glitches or location on tapes, but occurs at least three to six times on a tape.

Is there something wrong with these tapes? Should I run new tapes through the camera on FF and RW before I use them, as I read in some video mag. Is there any possibility of the problem with the transport or recording head in the camera?

Wondering if anyone else might have had same or similar problem.

Thank you again, you've been a great help always!
Joji Minatogawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2002, 05:40 AM   #500
Warden

Yes, fast forwarding and rewinding is a good habit to get into. It evens the tension on the tape, smooths out the position of the tape and allows any loose particles to fall off (avoiding drop outs). I would try a shorter length tape and see if the problem persists.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2002, 09:47 PM   #501
New Boot

Thanks, Jeff, will try out your suggestion with shorter tape. Will also try recording over a section with distortion and see if distortion happens at same spot. If so, then it may be that tape has bad sections, which would be annoying but better than if the camera has some faults.

If any other suggestions for finding out source of problem, would be appreciated.
Joji Minatogawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2002, 01:37 AM   #502
Tourist

XL-1 Auto Shut off

Is there anyway to keep my XL-1 from doing the auto shut off thing after 5 minutes of not recording anything?

Thanks Todd
redcanary3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2002, 02:39 AM   #503
Obstreperous Rex

Short answer: No.

Longer answer: See the article "XL1 Standby Mode Explained" in the XL1 Articles Menu of my XL1 Watchdog site at www.dvinfo.net/xl1.htm -- hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2002, 01:22 PM   #504

Interesting Video look on MTV Music Awards

I don't know how many people watched the MTV Music awards last night but I was captured by the new film kind of look on several of their cameras. Any chance that they might have been using Canon Xl1s for the shots. I sent in a question to MTV asking what camera they used for that show ( hope i get reply back).
Old August 30th, 2002, 02:07 PM   #505
Obstreperous Rex

This particular topic is already being discussed elsewhere on the Community forums: please see

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3448

If you have any fruther input, please reply to that thread. I'm locking this one to insure that we're keeping everything in one spot so it's easy to find and read. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2002, 08:02 AM   #506
Major Player

creating a distinct difference in distance

Hey all,

I have been asked to shoot some video for a friends short movie,
Either a sony pdf-150 or Canon XL1s, and i am almost positive it will be the canon will be used.

He wants to do a very rap music clip style effect where there is a very very very apparent distinction of distance to the camera.

I am not refering to a shallow DOF, i mean like in a rap video they are usually dollying accross with a rapper leaning back and forth towards the camera and it is incredibly noticable, the imagine has an almost 3d like quality, but focus looks almost like it is set to infinity.

I assume this is done with extremely wide lenses, but i am not 100% sure how it is done... he is making a sci-fi movie and wants the set to have a very non-flat look and a very apparent depth, some of this will be lighting, but i am sure their are some lense tricks needed too.

kermie
Zac Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2002, 12:38 PM   #507
Trustee

kermie

I think you are referring to essentially a fisheye lens.....ala the other thread you have going right now....or certainly a superwide solution like the century .3x on the stock xl1s lens.

Barry
Barry Goyette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2002, 12:37 AM   #508
Regular Crew

FireWire (IEEE1394)?

I was wondering which Firewire cable I need for my Canon XLS-1?
I have heard I need the CV-150F 4-pin to 4-pin to connect from my camera to my computer to edit my movies.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Todd Dilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2002, 01:23 AM   #509
Trustee

It depends on the connection on your computer. The IEEE1394 connection on your camera is a 4 pin connection, a 6 pin, which is found on most 3rd party capture cards/interface cards is a rectangular USB looking connection that is rounded on one end.

It's a good idea to have one of each in your production kit as you never know when you migh need to connect to one or the other.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2002, 01:43 AM   #510

I agree with Adrian. Always carry both in your bag. You never know.

- don
CREATE and NETWORK with http://www.bosfcpug.org
and also http://fcpugnetwork.org
Don Berube is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog