XL1 / XL1S various posts - Page 36 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old September 21st, 2002, 06:45 AM   #526
Wrangler

With low impeance mics it depends on how electrically noisy the environment is, the quality of your cables, and how demanding you are. You might be able to go many 10s of feet with acceptable results, or a few feet may be too far.

With high impecdance mics high frequency loss becomes a real isseu above around 15 feet or so.

Note that you could put an unbalancd- to-balanced transformar at the mic, run you cables, then a balancd to unbalanced at the other end again. For best results use transformers around 600-to-600 ohms that are designed for audio.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2002, 09:26 PM   #527
Wrangler

Has anyone spliced an XLR cable before?

See, I've got this problem.

I have a hole, the size of a doorknob hole in a door, that I'd like to fit an XLR cable through. The cable itself will fit, no problem. It's getting either end of the cable through that's the tough part. The XLR connectors are just a bit too thick.

Recommendations?

Thanks!

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2002, 06:44 AM   #528
Warden

Is this a permanent or temporary installation? If it is permanent, just desoldier one end and then feed the cable, re soldier the XLR connection. If it's temp. just splice it. Wires are color coded so just match them up and tape away.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2002, 11:49 AM   #529
ismertrobert

PC to XL1s to TV???

HI.

I can't hook a tv directly to my PC. I am using Adobe Premiere and I would like to preview my movie on a regular tv. Is there a way to play the PC video through the xl1s and onto a tv?

thanks for any help.
Old September 23rd, 2002, 02:46 PM   #530
Sponsor: JET DV

Yes. Put the XL-1 in VCR mode, connect the XL-1 to the computer via firewire, and connect the XL-1 to the TV using the RCA connections. This will allow you to view what is coming over the firewire on the TV. NOTE: The sound will still come through the computer speakers.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2002, 02:47 PM   #531
Sponsor: JET DV

Make the hole a little bigger?
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2002, 04:23 PM   #532
Regular Crew

You will have to press play in the premiere window to activate the program to output through the camera to the tv. If you apply effects you will have to render them or press <alt> + left mouse click on time line where you have effects applied...otherwise, you get a red x on the tv.
Chris Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2002, 02:04 PM   #533
New Boot

Extended warranty

I have an option to buy a 3 year extended warranty for my XL1s for $486. I assume this is about average for such a warranty. I was wondering what kind of repair bills can be expected for this camera ? The only post I could find was a fellow paid about $1000 for repairing some dead pixels. So far the camera has worked great what little I've used it over the last year so I am on the fence as to what to do.
William Brunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2002, 02:53 PM   #534
Obstreperous Rex

Get some more details:

Determine who is going to be performing the service on the camera past the one-year date (Canon provides its own one-year parts and labor, provided you've bought from an authorized Canon dealer).

If you're assured that it's going to Canon service, then you might consider the warranty.

If you're told it's going to Hermline Electronic Repair in Kenosha Falls, Wisconsin (or some similar third-party outfit), then walk away from it.

In the USA, only the Canon service facilities in Irvine, CA and Jamesburg NJ are properly equipped to repair an XL1S. Any service contract not involving Canon directly is worthless.

As an example of an extended warranty that does work very well, is the nationwide retail chain Ultimate Electronics. They interface directly with Canon service for their extended warranty. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2002, 08:42 AM   #535
Wrangler

Extended wararnty is really a pre-paid maintenance agreement rather that a true warranty. Consider it a form of insurance, and like insurance, the seller and the insurance company usually make the money (especially the seller). Most individual buyer net a loss, but the few who have major covered problems may make out. IMHO: In the long haul it is not worth it averaged over many items. It may be worth it if you can afford the price of agreement but would have a problem comming up with the money to pay for a unextected repair, or if know that you are an unlucky soul who routinely has gear fail shortly after going out of warranty.

Chris' make good points. Historically a lot of folks have been left holding worthless agreement certificates when a fly-by-night outfit folded its tent, so research the provider carefully to be sure you are getting an agreement from a company that will be around 3 years from now.

Also, it is three years beyond the end of the Canon warranty? or three years from when you bought the XL1s, meaning effectively only two years? Other factors to consider are turnaround time, loaner gear, pickup and delivery, and arbitration of complaints/disagreements over coverage.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2002, 02:50 PM   #536
dvmonkey2

Anyone familair with the AG-DVX100?

Ive been looking for some comparisons to the Xl1s. Has anyone worked with this camera before?
Old September 27th, 2002, 04:00 PM   #537
Regular Crew

the camera hasn't come out yet. It's not due to ship till Oct. 10th.
Ted Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2002, 04:24 PM   #538
ScotlandScott

XL1 Monitors in the UK

Do any of you have any good name XL1 accessory dealers in Scotland or United Kingdom.

Im wanting to buy an attachable viewing monitor for my XL1.
I have noticed the 5" nebtek monitor on this site, but i cant seem to purchase it from a delaer in the UK. Im not too sure if Nebtek will send me one over from the US.

or is there any other good attachable monitors available in the £300-350 mark - around about $500 that i can purchase in the UK
Old September 29th, 2002, 01:23 AM   #539
Major Player

Hi Scott,

try John at JMC Video, I think he also does second hand units.

john@jmcvideo.co.uk

Good luck
Andrew

TOTAL AMATEUR - DOING IT FOR THE FUN
Andrew Leigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2002, 01:43 PM   #540
Regular Crew

XL1 UK Club

Does anyone know if there is a UK XL1/s users club yet?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog