XL1 / XL1S various posts - Page 27 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old June 24th, 2002, 01:53 PM   #391
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

You'll probably be interested in reading through this thread:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=728

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2002, 06:21 PM   #392
Major Player

NTSC to PAL ?

Is there any way to make video shot on an NTSC XL-1 viewable
with PAL (European) equipment?
Steve Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2002, 08:37 PM   #393
Warden

The video can be converted to PAL by a standards converter. They are usually built into a VCR so that you can copy the tape as well. There are stand alone converters as well. Try some of the sponsors and if no luck B & H carries both types.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2002, 08:54 PM   #394
Warden

How important is the tape? If the tape needs to be removed with no damage take it to a service center. It can be an hour or two of work to extract the tape undamaged. If the tape is not critical, just cut the tape with an exacto knife and it should eject. If not, your problems are more serious than a stuck tape.

An emergency eject that sometimes works is as follows

1. remove battery

2. turn camera to vcr mode

3. hold down eject button

4. insert battery and continue to hold eject button

5. tape may eject - it works about 20% of the time

Jeff
Old June 25th, 2002, 12:26 AM   #395
Obstreperous Rex

Hi Peter,

The drop is definitely what caused your problem, and you must send it back for service immediately for repair. I understand that you're attached to this baby and can't bear to part with it; believe me I feel the same way about mine.

But if you love and care about her, then you'll do what's best for both of you and send her in to a place where professionals who know her inside and out can restore her to pristine condition. And she justs wants to do a good job for you. So make that happen by getting her the care she needs. Service center contact info on the page called "The Skinny" at www.dvinfo.net/xl1.htm

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2002, 07:29 AM   #396
Boss Hog

Improper XL1s Use - Wacky images

I was reading a leading video production magazine yesterday and came across an advert for some post produciton DVD software. The interesting thing about this ad, was the large photo of an XL1 user.

When I took a closer look at the picture, I noticed that our shooter in question is holding one of the "extremely rare, custom made, hand-built, pre-prototype, engineering sample, one of a kind, ambidextreous, LEFT HANDED, XL1s'" made by "nonaC" the obscure manufacturing affilliate located somewhere west of East Alongapoo, NY. ;-)

In essence, he is holding the camera with his left hand! IE: Left hand on the zoom rocker control under the lens handgrip strap. His right hand was holding a DVD or CD high in the air (Training video on how to shoot left handed?)

H'mmm, I thought, since I am also left handed, this may be the ticket to better video. (Although I do swing a golf club right handed.) But upon careful examination, I realized that some paste-up artist in the graphics department, in order to get the proper "look direction" toward the spine of the magazine just reversed the photo.

After a grand laugh, I thought has anyone else seen similar wacky XL1s uses since the camera appears in many print ads for all sorts of products.

Cheers...
Old June 25th, 2002, 02:30 PM   #397
peter davidson

Chris- Thanks for your response confirming my fears of damage. I'll get my XL the service it needs. Peter Davidson
Old June 26th, 2002, 06:47 PM   #398
Regular Crew

why couldn't I...

Hi everyone,
I am new to this forum and have been reading like a mad man trying to get caught up with what is going on with DV. I have just been asked to build a wedding videography wing within a wedding DJ company. I have an education in photography and film, but DV is new to me. So far, I have learned a lot.
So here's my question. I am sure that this has been addressed here, but I've yet to find it. There is a lot of talk about the mini disc for sound recording, and that sounds like a great idea. How about instead, I get a wireless sending unit and send an audio signal directly from the sound board into the camera. That way I don't have to do any sound syncs and I get everything that goes through the mixer.
If this is crazy, (i.e., is the signal too hot/cold or some other compatitability issue), please let me know. If this is easy, what equipment should I look into. I don't want to have to re-invent the wheel.
Thanks everyone!
-Kyle
Kyle De Priest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2002, 07:17 AM   #399
Boss Hog

Hello Kyle, this is a bit long... sorry.

I did just that very setup last week to record a band playing at a community concert. I used and Audio-Technica U100 UHF on-camera type wireless microphone system with a "plug-on" or "ice cube" transmitter. I fabricated a short cable to go from a 1/4" TRS (tip ring sleeve for balanced audio) connector to an XLRM that pugged into the transmitter. I plugged the cabe into an output on the bands Mackie mixer (I used the mono output on the rear of the unit). I took care to make sure the level control on the transmitter was set low enough so the output from the band's board would not overload the transmitter. I mounted the receiver at the camera location and connected its output to the left channel input on my MA100.

(You could also use an instrument cable with a bodypack style transmitter in lieu of the ice cube, but I have the cube so it was my first choice.)

For the right channel, I used an Audio-Technica ATM31a condenser mic (it runs on a battery) mounted in a shock mount on a Bogen lighting stand. This setup allowed me to get the mic in the air above the crowd for ambiance/nat sound. There are several companies that make a little brass adapter thing that converts the light stands threads to mic stand threads. I bought several and find them indespensible.

I used the output level control on the wireless receiver and the balance control on the XL1s to balance the two levels.

This way I had crowd reaction on one channel and Band PA sound on the other. (Note, this works best if the band is running everything through their mixer board.)

I then had two channels of audio to use in post production to balance crowd to band sound.

Note, if you want a stereo sound, I would use an AT825 stereo mic in lieu of the ATM31a and feed its outputs into my field mixer along with the feed from the band. This would allow me to have stereo sound, but would not allow me to do any balancing in post.

A final note, I used good batteries, and big foam windscreens on the mics.

Hope this helps.
Cheers
BTH
Old June 28th, 2002, 07:07 PM   #400
Regular Crew

XL1 video clips on the web

I viewed these clips at the link posted below and thought they were pretty good considering they had been compressed quite a bit.

I have nothing to do with the link, the cinematographer just emailed it to me because of a project I am working on so I cant give you anymore information on it.

www.oneeye.net
whiterabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2002, 07:40 PM   #401
Stereophonic

Audio

Hello everyone...currently in pre-production on major documentary project regarding the most bizarre, unsolved quadruple homicide in Northern California...and the sound guy jumped ship when I needed him most. Shooting on the Canon XL1, and in search of one of two things (or both): 1. Someone who is efficient in audio to take me through the basics; 2. A sound expert who might actually like to become a member of our crew. # 2 would require major comittment, but let me know. A fully-funded project, and we need you! Bay Area only...thanks for all your help already..write soon!
Sincerely,
Josh
Old June 30th, 2002, 03:09 AM   #402
robotfish

video in to the XL1

Is it possible to get video into the XL1 from something like a VCR?

Thanks!
Old June 30th, 2002, 05:53 AM   #403
Trustee

Green Cast

Anyone else getting a "greenish' color cast when using the EF adapter with EOS lenses? I've noticed (as of late) that my footage has this cast only when captured with the 75-300 USM lens- could the Hoya 67mm UV [0] filter be the culprit? The stock lens is perfect and doesn't produce this color offset. It's ez to fix in FCP but just wondering if this is a by-product of using EOS lenses with the XL or is this phenomenon (sp?) specifically related to the lens I'm using...in any case i'll probably just make a Custom Preset that pushes the greens away and use it when using the EOS lens.......

..i'm gonna try to shoot some footage without the UV filter and see if the cast is still present-----

..but i'm interested in hearing if anyone has experienced any casting when using non-video lenses on their XL's????
Old June 30th, 2002, 06:14 AM   #404
Warden

My first guess would be the filter. the other possibility is the EF lens adapter itself. I used to use a JVC relay lens adapter that converted 2/3 inch to Nikon mount. The weight of the lenses caused a very slight light leak. I taped the mounts and the cast went away. If you have access to another EF adapter try it and see if the cast goes away. Maybe just try one on in a store if they'll let you.

Jeff
Old June 30th, 2002, 09:21 AM   #405
Obstreperous Rex

No. Please see the XL1 Watchdog FAQ at www.dvinfo.net/xl1faq.htm

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog