XL1 / XL1S various posts - Page 29 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old July 16th, 2002, 11:45 PM   #421
Mr.Cisco

Audio 1 / Audio 2?

I have a question for you. I have a shotgun mic (XLR out) and a UHF wireless mic (XLR out). Both I have going to the MA100 and then into Audio 1 in 16 bit audio mode.

What I want is to not mix the two together so that in the editing process I can choose between the two. Is the only way I can do this is to have one of the mics actually plugged into Audio 2? If so, I imagine the shotgun would be the choice, but is there a connector available that will let me hook that up?
Old July 17th, 2002, 07:39 AM   #422
Major Player

With Premiere, go to Audio Options and duplicate the left or right channel, whichever one you want to keep. This effectively mutes the opposite channel while putting the one you want to keep on both the left and right. Use the razor tool to define in and out points in the audio track. I haven't used other editors so don't know if this would work with them. Another solution would be as you suggest, using Audio 2, but would require an adaptor to connect the mic.
Old July 17th, 2002, 10:01 AM   #423
Mr.Cisco

I have the SGM 1x and it's great. I agree with you that the 2x would look pretty ridiculous and if you have an on camera light, the long mic can throw a shadow into your shots.
Old July 17th, 2002, 10:12 AM   #424
Regular Crew

Audio 1/2 on XL1

I don't know from your description, how you have your two mics hooked up the camera's audio 1. If you want seperate tracks on the two mics, then, hooking one up to audio 1 and the other to audio 2 is the best way to go.
The easiest way to do this is get either a MA100 (It uses audio 1/2 for left/right), and allows two mics plugged in with "xlr" connectors. You could use any "mic to line" or "mic to mic" box mounted on the bottom of the camera. Sounddivces and the MA100 I think are two of the best; Sounddivces also has a one channel (since your wireless already has its own interface) interface, allowing the shotgun to go to audio 2, with the wireless going to audio 1, as it does now. Good luck. al.
Old July 18th, 2002, 10:53 AM   #425
BenDiesel

Cheap LCD!

Here is a great specail on a 5.6 LCD made to be used for the PS One gaming system but it takes stereo and RCA Inputs so would work great as a LCD display for the XL1.

http://bensbargains.net/cgi-bin/op.cgi?3137660

The only bad thing is you need external power.

Here is a cheap power supply.

http://bgm.bgmicro.com/prodinfo.asp?sid=06929861111111112061751534&prodid=PWR1021&page=1&cri=7%2E5V&stype=3
Old July 18th, 2002, 11:07 AM   #426
Regular Crew

Sterrophonic, where are you???

Has anyone heard from Sterrophonic, he logged on in June asking for help -- then no word! Sterrophonic, where are YOU???
al
Old July 18th, 2002, 01:46 PM   #427
Slash Rules!

Color EVF brightness

I hate my color EVF, but choose to live with it. I have noticed that when I view footage on a TV (I'm sure it'd be the same on a NTSC monitor) that the picture is significantly brighter than what I saw in the viewfinder, to the point where something that looks pretty good in the EVF can look fairly washed out on a TV. Now, when I look through the viewfinder from higher than I normally would, (down into it, instead of straight on) it looks more like what's on the monitor.

Needless to say, this whole situation is utterly ridiculous. Can I have the brightness adjusted? Even though in the manual it tells you how, it lies. It makes it look as though there's some easy way to do it, when in reality you have to do something possibly dangerous to yourself or the camera. Is there anywhere I can take it to have it done? Field monitors are all well and good, but we can't always have one with us now, can we?
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2002, 05:22 PM   #428
Warden

XL1 Owners Club . . . How long does it take?

I think this topic was lost on Black Thursday. Several people were commenting on how long it took because they had not received membership after 1 or 2 months. I had posted it took mine about 3 months.

Well, a friend of mine sent his application in just 3 weeks ago (filled in on Canon's site) and today got his membership kit. Chris must have lit a fire under someone up there.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2002, 06:36 PM   #429
Wrangler

If the user manual says you can do it, it is not likely to be dangerous to yourself. To the best of my knowledge there is only low voltage in the standard XL1 EVF assembly.

Brightness, contrast and color of LED panels are often sensitive as to veiwing angle. I find that the eye cup helps me keep a reasonably consistent eye alignment.

TV sets usually have a very bright screen. Was the image so bright that highlight details were blown out? Sometimes that can happen if for some reason the connection is improperly terminated.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2002, 09:50 PM   #430
Wrangler

Those are pretty cheap and could be mounted to an XL1 somehow.

Do any of you electronics wizards out there know a way to hook these up to some kind of portable battery source? Like a power adapter that would let you run them off battery packs from a different use? Like RC car battery packs?
Dylan Couper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2002, 11:37 PM   #431
Regular Crew

Mine's 2 months out and counting. Did your friend apply via mail or on the web?
Old July 19th, 2002, 12:02 AM   #432
Slash Rules!

That's possible. I logged everything on a TV VCR combo ( I don't know the brand name) so I have no idea if what I was seeing was the "true" image. Unfortunately I suspect it was.

As for the viewfinder, I believe I called Canon themselves to ask them how to adjust the brightness, being that they had something totally different in the manual from what you actually had to do, and the guy told me it wasn't something they advise trying to do (notice the little lightning symbol next to the adjustment area). I believe in the manual it says there's a button or dial or something, and in reality it's recessed screw. I'm not looking at the camera at the moment, and I'm feeling too lazy at this time to do so.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2002, 02:38 AM   #433
Warden

He applied for the club on line at Canon's site http://www.canondv.com/xl1owners/index.html I thought 3 weeks was really fast.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2002, 11:51 PM   #434
Regular Crew

lightwave equalizer

would a Light Wave EQ-XL1 equalizer fit on my ME66 (with K6)?
Alex Ratson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2002, 12:39 AM   #435
Obstreperous Rex

Hold off on this purchase. Currently it won't work with both mics, but a new Equalizer model is coming which will be more universal; for both the XL1 mic and the Senn 66 (among others).

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog