XL1 / XL1S various posts - Page 45 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old January 28th, 2003, 12:54 PM   #661
Major Player

Dropped Frames on XL1S Capture at 1/60 fps

Okay. This is starting to annoy me.

I've been capturing vid from this camera in 1/30 mode with no problem for months in Final Cut Pro. I'm shooting some stuff in 1/60 now and need to capture it.

I set the sequence settings for 60, I go in and set the capture settings for the camera to 60 and double, triple check them.

I've optimized my media drive (segmented in 2) as well as all other drives.

My in point is well into the start of the footage shot in 1/60 so there wasn't any 1/30 to skip through and my out point is also well before the end of the footage.

Every single time I get the dreaded "Dropped Frames were detected during last capture attempt"

I even get this when I use the "capture now" option.

ideas?????
Kevin Burnfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2003, 03:02 PM   #662
Major Player

SOLUTION - no matter what speed you shoot at (I just figured out) frame rate-wise, DV is still 29.97 (NTSC) and you import it at that----
Kevin Burnfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2003, 03:50 PM   #663
RED Code Chef

That is correct Kevin (for PAL it is 25 fps)!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2003, 04:04 PM   #664
Regular Crew

XL1 cold weather performance

I had my old XL1 outside on a shoot yesterday for four hours.

It was a legitimate minus 15 degrees when we started, warmed up to around ten above zero.

The camera performed flawlessly once again, even though I forgot to bring a case. It was exposed to the elements the entire shoot.

I never cease to be amazed by that thing.

Mike Avery
Mike Avery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2003, 05:42 PM   #665
Outer Circle

Though I never want to own such a large cam, I agree with you that it is a great cam (and so is the GL2). A family member owns 2 XL1S cams, 2 GL1 cams and now 2 GL2 cams...but he wants to sell the GL1s. For most of his jobs, his GL1s/2 work just fine.

Cold weather? Shrug/shake/shiver---chattering teeth---that's why I moved from Winnipeg to Vancouver. I had enough of Winterpeg---but someday I'll move back to the country around there, sit back and watch the twisters in the summer, and hire someone to shovel the snow in the winter.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2003, 04:41 PM   #666
Regular Crew

Filters: Kaeseman and Polariser

Is the Kaeseman filter usable with an XM2 (GL2), or should I buy a Multicoated

Polariser: Circular or linear? I know it depend how the cam makes the Autofocus (XM2/GL2)

Thank in advance.
Marc Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2003, 02:39 PM   #667
Major Player

Get a "good" one...linear or circular doesn't matter for the internal video optics. The performant ones are mostly circular. Get one with a good scratch resistant coating. With a Kaeseman filter you'l get (theoretically) somewhat more polarisation (extinction ratio), somewhat better polarisation uniformity and a "flatter" structure for the ultimate resolution. Those super performances are an overkill for video.
Andre De Clercq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2003, 07:32 AM   #668
New Boot

Manual lens vs ISII auto in terms of image quality

I noticed on Scott Billups' web site www.pixelmonger.com that he has two stills from the XL1s with the ISII auto lens and the Manual lens. The difference between the two images is phenomenal. I was wondering if the difference really is this noticable or maybe his images have been compressed differently or some other factor at play. I am allways interested in getting the best out of the camera because its just such a lovely machine. Ultimately I am after the manual lens with an anamorphic adaptor on the end, but am unsure of the actual advantages in terms of image quality (of having the manual lens). Many thanks for any advice/information.
Old February 1st, 2003, 10:52 AM   #669
Warden

It looks to be like they were shot different. The top image (16X IS II) looks like it has some reflection of the background on it. It fills less of the frame and is angled more. For a good comparison the shots should be identical. With that said, I own both lenses and find the 14X to be sharper.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2003, 07:29 PM   #670
Regular Crew

How much better picture should I expect with an Canon XL1 compared to a small DV came

What kind of difference can I expect from a canon XL1 compared to a new DV camera you can buy at best buy for $800.00 bucks? This camera I am getting is used and I think may be 4 years old. It's the canon XL1.

Anything I should be aware of?
Adam Brennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2003, 07:48 PM   #671
Regular Crew

Can you record in 16:1 on a Canon XL1?

I was wondering can you record in widescreen with the XL1? Or do you need a special attachment? If you need a special attachemnt, does it leave the black borders on top of the film and bottom?
Adam Brennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2003, 08:49 PM   #672
Outer Circle

Many of today's 1 CCD cams have very high resolution. The XL1 is more of a pro cam. It has better sound/audio controls, great manual controls, and the ability to use a variety of lenses.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2003, 09:56 PM   #673
Trustee

Adam,

The XL1/1s both use 4:3 CCDs. They have a faux 16:9 digital function where the image is squeezed and stretched to fit the 16:9 format. When using the 16:9 effect there is some loss in vertical resolution. This may be a problem for you, it all depends on the look you are after. Many people will shoot in 4:3 then crop in post and add the black bars to achieve 16:9 images.

My personal experience has shown that using the 16:9 effect doesn't really make that much of a difference to the look. It still looks sharp(as sharp as the XL1 can be) and good. There are plenty of posts here on the boards so do a search on 16:9 and see what you think.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2003, 02:39 AM   #674
New Boot

Yeah iv done filming in sub zero temps with snow falling on the camera (XL1s) before, performed flawlesly! Didnt have a case either so it got pretty wet, didnt want to let it get to wet though so I was only in it for about half an hour.
Old February 2nd, 2003, 12:35 PM   #675
Regular Crew

Bad pixel?

Did a job two nights ago and am reviewing my footage. There is a tiny red spot near the bottom of the screen. Is it possible I have a bad pixel? How could I know for sure? Is it possible that its something on the lens?
Tim Joseph is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog