XL1 / XL1S various posts - Page 50 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old March 6th, 2003, 08:51 AM   #736
New Boot

Azden Mics

HOW good are the AZDEN Mics?? for the Xl1s with beachtek???
guerrapato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2003, 10:12 AM   #737
New Boot

Azden Mic vs. ME66 ??? anyone...

Azden is cheaper! Is it as good as the ME66
guerrapato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2003, 01:17 PM   #738
Wrangler

There are plenty of posts on the Azden. They work fine with the XL-1. If you would like to read more try Azden Search Results.

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2003, 03:52 PM   #739
Regular Crew

According to the LAFCPUG, no, the Azden is not as good. They do a lineup of 3 shotgun mics. It's probably been linked to from here before.

http://www.lafcpug.org/review_shotgun_mic.html
Brian M. Dickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2003, 05:45 PM   #740
Wrangler

Depends on which Azden mic, Some are a lot better than others. Keep inmind that Azden is a consumer/prosumer product line, and none will match the ME66/K6 for example.

Also, some folks have encountered level issues with the SGM-X. It has a relatively high output impedance.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2003, 07:29 PM   #741
Major Player

I have seen that site before, but its always good to get other opinions. Anyone know of any other sites with MIC comparisin tests???????
Christopher Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2003, 05:05 AM   #742
Inner Circle

Multitrack Recording Advice Requested

I wish to record at least 4 microphones on separate tracks. I will also be recording ambient sound via the XL1s on two 16 bit tracks.

Since I want to record in 16 bits or higher, I need to use a separate audio recorder. I would prefer to use 24 bit recording.

I am considering a TASCAM TM-D1000 digital mixer and a TASCAM DA-78HR 24 bit (8 channel) recorder.

I welcome other thoughts and recommendations from this forum.
Old March 12th, 2003, 05:23 AM   #743
Wrangler

What are you recording? What is the venue?
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2003, 05:29 AM   #744
Inner Circle

Dear Don,

I want to be flexible. Some will be an Elvis Tribute artist, live. Others will be presentations, meetings, racing events, etc.

I want to do the mix after it is recorded on separate tracks.
Old March 15th, 2003, 04:05 PM   #745
Tourist

Mini XLR to XLR adapters

Please help!!!

I am new to this group but am looking forward to reading all the interesting tech info I see here.

I am a Bigfoot researcher (since 1972) and have been in about 6 documentaries on the subject. I have not been the happiest with the results and so am working towards making my own documentary. I am going to school to learn how to do this and have started getting the equipment. I am not rich but I try to get the best equipment I can to do the job. Right now I have a problem...

I have an XL1s with a MA-100 attached. It has the regular size XLR female plugs, but I have a Sony ECM-55SPT/ECM-55BPT electret condenser lav mic I want to hook up with it by way of cable and it has a mini XLR female plug.

Question:

Is there an adapter available and do I need it to have phantom power? The paper work with the mic says it is hooked up one of two ways... with power requirements either 1.5v or 5v, I don't understand this... either it is one way or the other I thought. It states the mic cable is :2.3mm(3/32in.) dia., 3m (10ft.) long 2-conductor shielded cable (pig tail)."

Two of the film's I was in, used film (16mm and 35mm) but even they used this lav setup. Sometimes they had the lav hooked up to a wireless but the static soundbites were with a corded lav.

Thanks
Rick Noll
Rick Noll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2003, 07:16 PM   #746
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Welcome Rick,
I think the connector that you're looking for is called a "P3" connector. I also recently searched for such an adapter and found them for sale on Samson's site. Perhaps this will work for you, too.

But I have two Sony ECM-55B lavs, just a bit different from yours, which have an inline power adapter (ie. battery holder) that plugs between the mics and the camera. I actually believe that this is what you'll need, too. My mics came with this adapter but you may be able to buy them separately. Check with Sony's site and/or B&H Photo's site to see if the adapter is available separately.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2003, 06:46 AM   #747
Regular Crew

lightweight tracking solution

Does anyone know of a lightweight tracking solution, something like GripControl's "e-track", just for tracks of up to 3 feet. Something that could be mounted on a tripod, and take about 4 kilos of camera (mini 35, XL1S and Nikon prime lens). The GripControl e-track is just too heavy and a little too big.
Mike Bluestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2003, 08:10 AM   #748
Major Player

Outgrowning Case?

I made a mistake and purchased the HC-3100? System Hard case from Canon for my camera. It's kinda small and better fitted to being case for some lights than a camera.

i found a way to pack in the ma-200, cavision matte box, microphones , cords, tapes, batteies, tape etc. to be honest, it fits best when i leave the lens and B&W viewfinder on, because there is no place left in the bottom of the box for it seperately.

Is there a roomier case anyone can recommend?
John Threat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2003, 11:42 AM   #749
Warden

ETrack is the only one I'm aware of, but I'm sure there are others. You might check with some of the big rental houses. You could probably build a short, light duty one for under $500.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2003, 09:15 PM   #750
Obstreperous Rex

Here are some XL1 hardshell case options.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog