XL1 / XL1S various posts - Page 47 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old February 9th, 2003, 02:59 PM   #691
Rick Combs

xl1s purchase Local Retail vs Long Distance

I am about to purchase a XL1s. My question is what is the benefit of purchasing it locally, say from a Wolf Camera shop vs purchasing it over the phone from say B&H Photo. Besides the $500 price difference wouldn't they both have to send it back to Canon to get it repaired.
Old February 9th, 2003, 04:05 PM   #692
Major Player

Initially, if the camera didn't work right out of the box, you could easily exchange it. Beyond that, though, there is little (or no) advantage. Warranty & routine maintenance work needs to done by Canon.

B&H is one of the "Gold Standards" for service & dependability. However, ZGC is one of this forum's sponsors, and everyone that deals with them raves. Most are repeat customers. Don't let the bottom line be your only criterion. Read the threads about ZGC in the Community Marketplace section on this board.
Old February 9th, 2003, 09:09 PM   #693
Wrangler

Also depends on the local outlet too. If your Wolf outlet is like ours, it will not be of much help beyond warranty problems.

ZGC gets its money by being a real videographer outlet.

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2003, 09:17 AM   #694
Regular Crew

C.Sharpness on XL1?

I've had a GL1 for a couple of years - just added an XL1 to my arsenal, and I'm still learning my way around the 'X'.

On my GL1, when in camera mode, there is a function in the menu called 'C.Sharpness' that allows you to turn the sharpness all the way up or all the way down (that, coupled with Frame Mode makes for a nice cinematic look)

Does any such menu option exist somewhere on the XL1 as well?
Scott Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2003, 11:00 AM   #695
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Scott,
No, the XL1 does not feature a Sharpness adustment. That was a feature added with the XL1s.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2003, 12:42 PM   #696
New Boot

Two mono 3.5mm jacks to one stereo 3.5mm jack adaptor?

I have two sony micorphones for recording ambient location sound. However they are both mono and I wish to combine to signal to make a stereo signal. This will enable me to place the two mics wide apart so I can obtain a cool ambiant sound. My question is where can I get an adaptor that combines two mono signals and creates a stereo signal, placing one mono signal in each of the stereo channels. Also what would such a device be called. Hope someone can help!
Old February 10th, 2003, 01:08 PM   #697
Trustee

You might want to try www.equipmentemporium.com. They manufacture and sell a variety of connectors, and can probably make what you want, if they don't have it already...they also have a wealth of info on their site regarding sound for video. Nice guys, quality and service are exceptional, and their prices are reasonable.

Barry
Barry Goyette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2003, 02:25 PM   #698
Tourist

capturing footage / cropping

Hey All,

No matter what NLE system I use, I've noticed that when capturing footage via Firewire from my Xl-1, there are always black bars on the left and right frame. They are only seen on RGB monitors, NTSC output is fine.

They are 2 pixels wide and I've always removed them in Cleaner by cropping, but has anyone else noticed this?

Philip
Philip Rebentisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2003, 02:38 PM   #699
Regular Crew

So in light of this.....

....the logical step to reproduce this look would simply be
to let the focus ring be just slightly out of focus ?
(In your opinion?)
Scott Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2003, 04:17 PM   #700
Warden

This issue of black bars has been seen before and noted by many. Depending on what your needs and output medium is, it may or may not, be an issue for you.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2003, 05:21 PM   #701
Tourist

you're right

Jeff,

I first did a search for black bars and saw most of the threads were for the black bars at the bottom of the frame. I should have checked some of the other pages which refer to the vertical lines I'm experiencing.

Using Cleaner, I crop off the the pixels without fear, because 90 % of my projects are for 320 X 240 for streaming and CD delivery.

Up til now it's never been an issue. But now that I'm moving into the DVD space as well, there could be a JVC 5000u in my future.
Philip Rebentisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2003, 05:30 PM   #702
Tourist

Where to buy a Pal XL1s in Hong Kong

I live in Australia and have a friend who is passing through Hong Kong in a week. I know if I buy a Canon XL1s there I can save a lot of money. BUT!!! I know that there are many "shonky" camera dealers there. Can anyone give me info on where to buy my camera in Hong Kong, I need to find someone I can trust..

Thanking you in advance

Tony Morrison
Old February 12th, 2003, 07:42 PM   #703
New Boot

XL1 Owners Club Phone Number

Does anyone know the Canon XL1 Owners Club Hotline Number?
I searched for it everywhere and no luck. Thanks!
Old February 12th, 2003, 08:09 PM   #704
Obstreperous Rex

They keep this number guarded so that "only Club members may call," but if you dial 1-800-OK-CANON and cycle through the automated menu, you'll eventually drill down far enough to reach a live human being who will assist you in getting that phone number. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2003, 10:15 PM   #705
Regular Crew

starvision 7"

hello,
for anyone using one of these, how do you like it? i did a search and there was only a couple threads just mentioning it in passing more or less. for a 7" lcd they seem pretty darn cheap (price-wise). thank you for any personal experiences with this display.

matt
Matt Betea is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog