XL1 / XL1S various posts - Page 69 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old November 27th, 2003, 10:45 PM   #1021
Tourist

Sl1s Lens Options.

WHAT OTHER AFTER MARKET TELE PHOTO LENSES ARE AVAILABLE FOR THE SL1S? SOMETHING THAT WOULD BE COMPARE TO A 15X OR 20X POWER BINOCULAR.
Mike W Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2003, 11:20 PM   #1022
Trustee

Hi Mike, welcome aboard. If you search our database on XL1 lens options you will find a lot of very useful information. You could also check out this XL1 Watchdog article on lens options.

One other little point, it's considered a little rude to type in all capitals on message boards, it's like yelling.

Thanks for the post, keep the questions coming.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2003, 10:53 AM   #1023
Regular Crew

What is function AE Shift ???

What is function AE Shift ???

Thanks
Sunarto Sosrosaputro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2003, 04:31 PM   #1024
Wrangler

AE shift is uset to cause the auto exposure modes to shift the set point for normal exposure. It has no effect in Green Box, Manual, and Spotlight mode.
Old December 3rd, 2003, 11:14 PM   #1025
Regular Crew

6x wide angle adapter

Well I opted for the cheaper route and bought the 6x wide angle adapter, by Century, for the 16x manual lens and can't seem to bring it into focus at the widest setting. Has anyone run into this problem?

I had the Ap. open all the way, when I stop down it seems to focus better It's getting to late to set up lights I'll test tommorrow in the sun and with lights.

Dan O'Bannon, I'm learnin :)
Dan O'Bannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2003, 11:28 PM   #1026

Yes! What you have to do is set your back focus first then bring your forward focus in to play afterwards.

SAY WHAT! Yes I know this is a wild one but it works.
Old December 4th, 2003, 05:32 AM   #1027
Wrangler

As I recall, the 72mm, 0.6x adapter is only partial zoom-through. full wide to about half zoom, with the standard Canon lens.
Old December 6th, 2003, 12:49 PM   #1028
New Boot

Xl1s tips

I'd like to know exacly what each setting on the xl1s (exposure)do and what would be a perfect setting, if possible.

For exemple, I know that the lowest the gain is, the better it is.

Shutter speed seems to do special effect under 1/60 since the frame rate is slower or kind of.

So what I want to know is just some usefull tips on setting the exposure. Which control should I adjust first and the relation between each other

Thanks
Hugo Leveille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2003, 10:37 PM   #1029
New Boot

Focus and zooming

Whats the best trick to zoom and focus all at once.

How do you know its time to adjust. I guees its just pratice that will help me but a few tips would help

thks
Hugo Leveille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2003, 01:17 AM   #1030
Obstreperous Rex

With the white 16x auto lens, simultaneous zooming and focus is not possible due to properties of the lens design (all DV camcorders using servo zoom lenses suffer from this limitation).

With the black 16x manual lens, it's certainly possible but is best done via remote zoom and focus controls mounted on twin pan handles on the tripod. See our sponsor, VariZoom Lens Controls for more info about remote zoom & focus controls for this lens.

Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2003, 08:26 AM   #1031
Regular Crew

Canon Internet Authorized Dealer Please

Hi all.

Can some one help me list of Canon Internet Authorized Dealer please?

Thanks
AP
Allan Phan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2003, 08:49 AM   #1032
Warden

Try our list of sponsors for the DV Info community.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2003, 01:42 PM   #1033
Regular Crew

Zoom and Focus

Hugo, the following applies if you are doing a setup shot or have the time to do it in advance.
1. Zoom all the way in to the subject and set the focus.
2. On the 'white lens' switch to Manual Focus.
3. Zoom in and out to your heart's content. As long as the subject stays the same distance away the image will be sharp.
Obviously, when the subject is getting closer or further away during the shot you're going to have to manipulate focus and zoom together which is no easy feat.
Mike Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2003, 08:25 AM   #1034
Regular Crew

Which Audio 32Khz or 48hz

Does anyone have any thoughts on the audio setting to use. I know that of course 48Khz is better quality.....but is it really necessary?

I usually use 48Khz, but am not sure if it makes that much of a difference....?!!

Any thoughts people have on this would be appreciated..!!

Thanks
Nick Underwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2003, 01:10 PM   #1035
Major Player

If you base your audio being reproduced on a standard TV then the difference between 12bit and 16bit is minimal. But as you start to get into better systems and speakers then the 16bit is a bit "crisper" sound, especially if you are adding effects on the sound or resampling it, or if the source is a little complex sounds. I use 16bit all the time as I want to have the best possible source. 12bit does give you the added extra of having 4 channels of sound. But I rarely use that. Im no expert on sound at all, and still learning myself but i have found that 16bit or 48KHz does give better results on your sound, especially if situations start to peak a little. I havent used any fancy hardware to tell the diference, just a good set of headphones on my 24bit computer system and there seems a little improvement to me...but I cannot speak for what you would find. I would just do your own experiments and see what your happier with.
Christopher Hughes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog