electric hum during XL-1s playback at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old May 6th, 2002, 08:26 PM   #1
Major Player

electric hum during XL-1s playback

I notice in my XL-1s that there is a low-pitched electrical hum upon playback, that was not there with my XL-1. I am recording in 16 bit. Since the XL-1s is new, I had the opportunity to make a comparison. Footage recorded on the XL-1 was free of the background hum, which began exactly as footage from the XL-1s began, same tape, exactly consecutive footage, all played back on the XL-1s, same cables, same TV.
The hum is faint, but noticable. Is there any way to adjust settings to remove it?

Steve
Steve Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2002, 04:02 PM   #2
Wrangler

Using the on-camera mic? Same rcording setup and venue? Perhaps the mic mount screw was too tight, resulting in coupling of transport noise to the mic body.

If the footage is important, perhaps you can low-pass filter it out in post.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2002, 04:28 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Don,
I'll loosen the screw, even though it sounds like the famous repairman's suggestion to the housewife that she reverses the polarity in the appliance's plug. Looks like the low pass filter will be the way to go.
Steve Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2002, 02:20 PM   #4
Wrangler

Reversing the plug did make a difference with some of the older designs before all plugs were polarized. It was especially valuable with some of the transformer-less (AC/DC) designs.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2002, 09:05 PM   #5
Regular Crew

A way of reducing hum in Final Cut Pro, that I found, was to use the hum filter set at 150 hertz with the first harmonic selected. The way I found this was by blowing up the graph of the audio clip and counting the cycles of the low level hum (which were 5) for 1 frame. Times 30 (fps) gave me 150 cycles per second or hertz. I selected the first harmonic and it cut the XL1s hum almost right out of my quiet forest and bird song clip, yet other sounds remained intact. I do a lot of quiet nature stuff and I do this automatically if I am forced to use the on board microphone.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog