xl1 FD Adapter at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old June 24th, 2002, 01:55 AM   #1
36b3shierj

xl1 FD Adapter

I'm looking into the possibility of using Canon FD lenses on an XL1, and I know there is an adapter for the XL1, but I haven't found any reviews. Specifically, does this adapter possess the infinity focus problem that was prevelant with previous FD/EF adapters?
Also, is there any quality differences between using FD lenses versus EOS series lenses?

Any input from anyone who has experimented with FD lenses on XL1 would be most appreciated.
Old June 24th, 2002, 07:56 AM   #2

neither the EOS nor the FD adapter have any optical elements...they're just spacers. The EOS adapter will pass thru electronic signals from the lens to the camera, the FD adapter will not since FD lenses don't have any servo motors or electronic signals.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2002, 08:01 AM   #3
Trustee

The FD lenses work well on the XL. One thing though is that the adapter just a mechanical link between the two mounts, there is no electrical connection between the lens and the camera so you will get a -no lens- warning in the viewfinder and digital effects will be unavailable.

From what I can tell, the difference between the FD and the EF lenses is minimal, at least in the L series ones. I've shot with an FD 300/F4L and a 70-200/F2.8L and couldn't really tell the difference in image quality.

Hope this has been helpful
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2002, 06:48 PM   #4
Major Player

xl1 fd adapter

Maybe I'm missing something, but I use the EF adapter XL (for EOS lenses) every day, and it does definitely have optical elements. The EF adapter VL for the old L1/L2 series did not.
The EOS adapter works very well and allows image stabilization to be used, but not auto focus, auto zoom, etc. I think the image is as good or better than what the stock lens gives, even at infinite focus. To use FD lenses requires yet another adapter (EF to FD) in series with the EF adapter. The one I have has glass in it too. You lose some light, and those FD lenses are really heavy.

Steve Siegel
Steve Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2002, 07:29 PM   #5
Wrangler

The EF Adapter XL contains 4 elements in four groups. And it is multicoated.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2002, 08:16 PM   #6
Warden

The 4 element, 4 group design is a relay lens. If it was not present, the EOS lens would not focus to infinity.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2002, 09:22 PM   #7

Question: The FD adapter, manufactured by Optex, has glass in it? and question 2, it only works in conjunction with the EF adapter?

I don't think so. I've researched the Optex FD adapter and came to the conclusion it did NOT have glass in it and that it was an XL1 to FD standalone adapter.

Someone please correct me if I've been wrong.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2002, 10:14 PM   #8
Warden

Remember that both lenses started out life as 35mm lenses and not video lenses. Compare the location of the film plane in a FD mount camera to an EOS camera. If you measure the distance from the rear node of the EOS lens and the film plane (location of the chip) it must be maintained or the lens will not focus to infinity. The design of the EOS lens (position of the rear node) and the thickness of the EF adapter move the lens out too far from the chips. The EF adapter contains a relay lens to compensate for the change in distance.

The optical design of the FD lenses and the position of the rear node in relation to the film plane is different from EOS lenses. Because the FD-XL adapter is purely mechanical and not electrical it can be made the exact thickness so that everything focuses correctly and a relay lens is not required.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2002, 08:32 PM   #9
Major Player

xl 1 fd adapter

The FD adapter I was refering to was a Tokina product, made to mount an FD lens onto any EOS camera. I didn't know that Optex has another (and it sounds like a better) product.

Sorry.

Steve Siegel
Steve Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2002, 10:17 PM   #10

The Optex adapter is a good one...until you look at what it costs....450 bucks.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog