XL1 @ burning man at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old May 8th, 2002, 08:57 PM   #1
Regular Crew

XL1 @ burning man

I've decided to take my XL1 out to Burning Man this year. For those of you not familiar with the event, it means exposing my gear to harsh desert conditions and non-stop blowing super-fine gypsum dust that coats everything you own.
In the past I've taken my "beater" camera, a older TRV9 so I was not too worried about the conditions, i.e. I taped a cover together consisting of a plastic shopping bag and duct tape. Then hoped for the best. Taping a shopping bag around my XL1 isn't gonna cut it. Does anyone have any suggestions as to a decent protective cover for the XL1 in extremely dusty conditions? Would a rain cover like the Porta-Brace work or is there a better solution?

Thx so much for any suggestions-
Ford Minton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2002, 11:27 PM   #2
Regular Crew

What state is burningman in?
Why don't you come to AZ (during monsoon season) to practice? Our dust storms look like the ones from "Mummy".

Bruce
Bruce Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2002, 02:41 AM   #3
Major Player

Burning Man! Cool. I have to get there some time. Be grateful your shooting video, not film, under those conditions...
Old May 9th, 2002, 06:19 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Greetings

I just got a Porta Brace rain slicker. They are great. If you have all the access doors closed there are only two openings that would be protected by rain but may not be 100% in a dust storm. Of course the lens pops out the front. With dust it could be possible to get through. Then you have the area where you reach in from the bottom for zoom and record controls.

I would highly recommend getting the rain slicker. It really covers everything snug. It will also protect it from direct sunlight. I have looked for a top slicker b/c like most event videographers I do a lot of outside shoots, and we have no control over the whether. In my opinion Porta Brace is the best. I never plan to take my XL-1 out without the slicker. Better safe than sorry.
www.katanapro.com
Marcus Farrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2002, 06:18 AM   #5
Major Player

I purchased the PortaBrace rain slicker for the same reason, protection from blowing sand and dust. An underwater housing is the only way you will keep all the dirt out, but the rain slicker does a pretty good job.

PortaBrace offers two models for the XL1. The RS-XL-1 and RS-XL-1HC. The latter is long enough to cover the XL1 with MA200 attached.

There are other companies that make similar products for the XL1. Try searching this site for additional information.
Old May 10th, 2002, 06:24 AM   #6
Obstreperous Rex

Other companies include Kata. Look for a review of their RC-10 and RC-11 rain covers for the XL1 on the Watchdog soon.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2002, 02:23 PM   #7
Regular Crew

thx

thx for all the replies!
Ford Minton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog