Lights at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old May 10th, 2002, 12:12 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Lights

Does anyone know the best light package available to use with the XL1s, and where to get them?
thanks Dan
Dan O'Bannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2002, 02:40 AM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Dan,

Are you talking about an onboard light or lighting kits?

For onboard, consider the Frezzi Mini-fill with dimmer (if you don't mind the brick battery...or have other battery options).

For lighting kits, Ken Tanaka turned me on to Lowel Caselights and Scandles. They're flourescent so they burn cool. I've got those on my "things to buy" list now. (In fact, I think Ken is directly responsible for my impending financial demise...what with all the equipment suggestions).
Old May 10th, 2002, 05:51 AM   #3
Capt. Quirk

I haven't heard of the Scandles, how are they? I have the Lowel VIP kit with 2 tota lights and 1 v light. The stands are a little flimsy, but overall does the job. Just don't want to use it where there might be a strong wind.

I did pick up some umbrellas to reflect softer light, and even made a dimmer switch for the lights.
K. Forman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2002, 06:47 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Frezzi mini fill dimmer

What are the Frezzi mini fill kits so expensive and they don't even give you a case to put it in?
John Dimasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2002, 02:16 PM   #5
Regular Crew

other good OCL's

NRG makes some damn good on-board lights:
http://www.nrgresearch.com/ocl.html
I have been using the Varlux Pro for some months now and really dig it. They also make full lighting kits.

I have also had good experiences with Kino Flo gear as their lights are fluorescent and don't put out the heat that you find with traditional lighting.

BTW- if you need a OCL softbox check out the Photflex stuff they're just as good as and cheaper than Chimera. I've also found that Chimera softboxes don't fit some of the NRG on-camera-lights.

PS- Johnathan, as far as cases go I suggest getting one of the smaller sized Pelican cases. They do the job and are not too terribly expensive. They also travel REALLY well.
Ford Minton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog