xl1s - was it a mistake? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old February 18th, 2004, 03:49 PM   #1
New Boot

xl1s - was it a mistake?

so far for this price the only thing going for this camera is it's lens changing ability...

negative points:
- bad in low light
- gain jumps from 0 to 6dB
- no xlr inputs
- no LCD
- focusing problems
- not very sharp image
- so so resolution
- very poor headphone jack..

i'm really considering selling it... but i don't want to lose mone ... someone please, give me reasons to not sell it...

help!
Afonso Campos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2004, 04:26 PM   #2
RED Code Chef

I'm sorry to say this, but I don't think you did a very good job
of looking at the camera before buying, because you would've
known it didn't have a flipout LCD screen or XLR inputs.

Secondly, it is a prosumer camera, don't expect too much from
the auto controls:

1. all camera's are bad in low-light. The XL1S is actually pretty acceptable. But there are better camera's for that. If you go full manual you can get a pretty decent performance. Research before buying might have pointed you to a better low-light camera

2. then you are running the camera in auto mode or left the gain on auto. I have my gain always at -3 db in full manual and it never jumps

3. that is correct. There are several appliances you can get to get XLR in on the XL1 range. As said, research had told you this before buying

4. same as 3, seperate screen available

5. mostly only during zooming and on some low contrast stuff. Run it in manual focus mode (almost always better anyway)

6. that depends on how you are shooting. In interlaced it shoot be pretty sharp and otherwise you can always turn up the sharpness a notch under custom presets. Canon's have a tendency to be a bit softer. Most people like those for it usually is closer to film than video

7. that also depends on what mode you are using. If you shoot at interlaced with a 1/60 shutter at f5.6 you'll have very good resolution. Again, with research you could've seen how much pixels are on the CCD's if that is your concern

8. what's bad about the headphone jack? That's the first time I've heard someone complain about it

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2004, 05:02 PM   #3
New Boot

i knew the camera didn't have XLR inputs or LCD when I bought it... I just never thought they would be so handy.

as for the gain thing i meant that on the controls there is no setting between 0 and 6.

about the headphone jack... i've heard many people complain.. the sound that comes out is just too soft.. not loud enough
Afonso Campos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2004, 05:06 PM   #4
Warden

The headphone issue if probably due to not matching the sensitivity and impedance properly. I have no problems with the Sony headphones I use. Canon makes several adapters to add XLR connections.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2004, 07:12 PM   #5
Outer Circle

You know, over the years I've come to appreciate the XL1 and XL1s, especially with the "rich" footage they capture.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2004, 12:34 AM   #6
MPS Digital Studios

Frank and all,

I've shot several shorts and a feature (plus oen feature we shelved):

1. SKYE FALLING (2001)

2. PUSH/PULL (2003)

3. A REMINDER (2004)

4. SUZY'S OUT (2004)

These are movies, except SUZY, that have gotten into film fests and on movie screens in digital format. It always looked killer, even when we shot stuff in dim lighting. The XL-1, which I still use a friend's (I sold mine to buy the JVC HDV camera), is a GREAT camera! That doesn't include other things I've done, like TV shows, documentary stuff, etc.

heath
Old February 19th, 2004, 01:11 PM   #7
Wrangler

As much as I admire the DVX-100 for its many great features and great resolution, I'm still convinced that the XL1 delivers the most pleasing skin tones. This is not something that can be detailed in a technical spec or quantified simply as a "warmer" color palette, it's an entirely subjective thing. Most video cameras (including Panasonic and Sony) tend to "gray out" faces when underexposing, the Canon seems to retain the color better.
Old February 19th, 2004, 01:12 PM   #8
Air China Pilot

The Mini35 adaptors and other extensions give the XL1/S new life. Take a look at Oliver's superb film:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=21567
Old February 19th, 2004, 01:32 PM   #9
Regular Crew

you forgot the best trait of all. people in public will walk up to you when you're shooting and say, "wow that's a nice camera!" haha.
Adam Burtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2004, 02:03 PM   #10

Hi Alfonso,

For what it is worth, I really don't have any issue with the sensitivity on the Xl1S. Compared to the cameras I have used previously, it is a treat to use. Think of the Xl1S as having an ISO rating of around 320 ISO. On that note, I shoot in -3db most of the time. I'm not a big fan of using no lighting at all. I also mostly shoot in Frame Mode, unless it is for ENG broadcast.

- don
CREATE and NETWORK with http://www.bosfcpug.org
and also http://fcpugnetwork.org
Don Berube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2004, 11:09 AM   #11
Obstreperous Rex

Alfonso

One of the best features of the XL1S system is its modular design and "open architecture" system. Need XLR inputs? Simply add them. Need an LCD display? Just add it. My own XL1 is equipped with XLR inputs and a 5.5" LCD screen, and there's no reason why yours can't be similarly configured.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog