wireless mics, uhf or vhf - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old August 22nd, 2002, 07:19 AM   #16
Major Player

Evolution 100 Output Level

I have also just ordered the EW100 ENG system, should be here tomorrow. In researching this system, I came across this note, I believe on the Zotz Digital site: "LINE LEVEL OUTPUT ONLY"

How are those of you that use this system connecting the receiver to the XL1(S)? If you are plugging it into the onboard mic jack, are you experiencing any distortion with AGC on, or do you have to set audio to manual mode and monitor levels? Does this system have to be connected to Audio1 or 2 with Line level input selected in the XL1 menus?

I guess I'll figure all this out tomorrow when mine gets here, but just curoius how others are connecting this receiver. Thanks!
Old August 26th, 2002, 09:36 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Comparing wireless mic systems; is a Sennheiser better than a Samson strickly on a sound quality basis? or are they also more reliable, less drop outs, less static? In other words, is it more the quality of the microphone as opposed to the "wireless" part of the system that makes the difference?

Thanks.
fargogogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2002, 07:43 PM   #18
Wrangler

Its all of those things. I now the Sampson is a good unit. Though I have not tried a Sampson, I love my Sennheiser since it is rugged and works better than I expected.

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2002, 07:17 AM   #19
Regular Crew

I love my Sennheiser

I finally used my Ev 100 wireless yesterday. I love it! I connected it to my MA 100, switched to mic mode and I was off. I used manual settings. It was great!!!! I only wish that Canon would include a viewfinder audio monitor. Since I shoot with the viewfinder (can't afford the LCD yet) I set the level and go, hoping I don't get much change in audio levels. I'm very pleased, thanks for steering me in the right direction. It was well worth the extra expense (not really that much when you consider the benefits.)

Becky
Becky McMillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2002, 05:48 PM   #20
Michael Hickey

Hi Becky,

I also have the ev112p and find it does a great job with the audio. I did my first wedding recently and, in fact, used the audio from the lav mic in the final production as it was better than the audio from the on-camera mic.

Just returning to an earlier post where you said that you had to disable the onboard mic in order to use the lav.....this does not have to be so. If you record in 12bit audio, you have 4 channels available......2 channels are used by the onboard stereo mic and you can use one of the remaining channels for the lav which is mono. You can also monitor the audio levels from both sources using headphones and adjust accordingly rather than leaving it to chance.
Also if you had another radio mic, you could switch between them using the receiver or by having a second receiver you could use the remaining unused audio channel and have three audio sources being recorded. It took me quite a while to figure the various audio mode combinations as the manual is not very helpful.

Does anyone have any reccommendations for a replacement onboard mic for the XL1? I find that the supplied mic is not that good. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Regards
Old August 30th, 2002, 05:45 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Thanks Michael

You're right about the manual not being very helpful, it took me a while to figure out the mechanics of audio. The problem with using 4 channels is that not all editors support 4 channels. Although I edit most of my stuff some will be sent to Public Television for final audio tweaking and color correction. Since most of their footage is shot with 2 channels of audio I'm a bit nervous about sending something different. I've heard horror stories and decided on the KISS method (Keep It Simple Stupid.) When I know that I will be the end editor I will definitely use 4 channels. I've been very pleased with the stock stereo mic, it seems to have a pretty good range to my untrained ears. I do need to invest in a good camera mic tho for the 2 channel situations that I described above. Maybe I have relied on the monitor too much in the past and need to train my ears to watch for peaks.

Becky
Becky McMillen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2002, 03:05 PM   #22

AKG PR81/ PT81/ C417 wireless lav kit

I own two of the Sennheiser EW0100 kits and overall, they have performed quite well. One thing I miss with the EW-100 system is XLR outputs. I got around this by having Stu Cody at Automated Media Systems [ http://www.automatedmedia.com ] custom make some 1' mini 1/8" TRS to XLR adaptor cables. Cost me about $20 each and I like the fact that these cables are just the right length and not too long (low profile). When I bought my EW-100's, nothing else really compared as far as size, construction, range and sound quality for the price. I even use them as a wireless headphone feed from the sound man. Just need a stereo-mono headphone adaptor cable in this case to fill both cans of the headphones.

However, I must say that the new AKG PR81/ PT81 system really has caught my eye. I'm buying one.

AKG product info:
http://www.akg-wireless.com/english/pr81.htm

B&H Link:
http://www02.bhphotovideo.com/default.sph/FrameWork.class?FNC=ProductActivator__Aproductlist_html___219451___AKPR81L41754___REG___CatID=0___SI D=F0338F707C0

- don
CREATE and NETWORK with http://www.bosfcpug.org
and also http://fcpugnetwork.org
Don Berube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2002, 03:49 PM   #23
Major Player

Don, maybe they have changed the EW100 package since your purchase, but the one I just received came with an XLR cable (1/8" TRS -> XLR). I'm still curious about the Line Level Output mentioned in a previous post, but since receiving my unit and connecting it to the XL1S/MA200 with the supplied cable, the levels certainly don't appear to be line level. In fact the level is a bit on the low side. Audio quality seems to be very good though.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog