DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   Audio/Video Terminals (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/4522-audio-video-terminals.html)

Bob Safay October 22nd, 2002 04:42 PM

Audio/Video Terminals

I have a question. On my Canon XL-1 I was able to plug a Sony RFU asapter to the back of the Canon via the audio/video terminals and then plug the camcorder into any television using the tv's VHS/UHF cable terminal (unplug the cable, plug in the adapter) and then watch your video on a tv. This was great for videoing and then previwing the video in a hotel room. Can anyone tell me why Canon moved the video terminal from the top as in the XL-1, to the bottom as in the 1s? This does not allow me to plug into a tv. Very disturbing, any help will be apprechiated. Bob Safay

Chris Hurd October 22nd, 2002 05:11 PM

Should be able to get an RCA-to-coax adapter at Radio Shack for a couple of bucks. Hope this helps,

Don Berube October 22nd, 2002 09:05 PM

Hi Bob,

Not sure that I follow you why you can't feed your RF modulator now that the video terminal is on the bottom. Could you explain?

- don

Bob Safay October 23rd, 2002 04:25 AM

Don, the way the A/V terminals are now situated at the back of the camcorder do not allow the coupler to attach. Where I used to get A/V (the two top terminals) I now have A/A, they moved the video terminal to the bottom. Sound but no video. Bob

Bob Safay October 29th, 2002 07:23 AM

Chris, I checked with Radio Shack. They have a small converter box ($24.95) that you plug the XL-1s into, and that have the cable out to the TV. Not as easy as the straight cables, but it will do the job. Thanks for the advise. Bob

Ed Frazier October 29th, 2002 10:02 AM

Bob, I've been using the Radio Shack Modulator for about a year now to feed a RF signal to a monitor some distance away. It works great, only drawback being it requires AC. I had a small Canon RF adapter that came with my Canon A1 Hi8 camera that got power from the 5v tap between the Audio & Video connectors. It worked fine with my Sony D8 but I had to go the Radio Shack route with the XL1S for the same reason you cite.

Don Palomaki October 30th, 2002 06:20 PM

Should be able to make the Canon RU adapter work if you get some short M-F patch cables (2-RCA and one mono submini phone)

Bob Safay November 4th, 2002 11:34 AM

Don, I tried it and it works! Thanks for the tip. Bob.

Andrew Petrie November 4th, 2002 04:13 PM

What is everyone's opinion on Radio Shack? I've always found their products to be a bit...well cheaply constructed and crappy. I haven't tried every item obviously, but I have doubts when I walk in to an RS every time.

someone restore some faith please :)

Don Palomaki November 4th, 2002 05:10 PM

You have to know what you are buying. Their products are mainly for the consumer market and some prosumer stuff. Generally not really built for professional 7/24 operations, but there may be exceptions for specific items - especially in the special order area.

Robert Knecht Schmidt November 5th, 2002 08:46 AM

Radio Shack products

Their RF converter works just fine, and I also love to use their little four-channel mixer. Best deal out there. Some of their microphones are also a good value.