Audio/Video Terminals at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old October 22nd, 2002, 04:42 PM   #1
Trustee

Audio/Video Terminals

I have a question. On my Canon XL-1 I was able to plug a Sony RFU asapter to the back of the Canon via the audio/video terminals and then plug the camcorder into any television using the tv's VHS/UHF cable terminal (unplug the cable, plug in the adapter) and then watch your video on a tv. This was great for videoing and then previwing the video in a hotel room. Can anyone tell me why Canon moved the video terminal from the top as in the XL-1, to the bottom as in the 1s? This does not allow me to plug into a tv. Very disturbing, any help will be apprechiated. Bob Safay
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2002, 05:11 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Should be able to get an RCA-to-coax adapter at Radio Shack for a couple of bucks. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2002, 09:05 PM   #3

Hi Bob,

Not sure that I follow you why you can't feed your RF modulator now that the video terminal is on the bottom. Could you explain?

- don
CREATE and NETWORK with http://www.bosfcpug.org
and also http://fcpugnetwork.org
Don Berube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2002, 04:25 AM   #4
Trustee

Don, the way the A/V terminals are now situated at the back of the camcorder do not allow the coupler to attach. Where I used to get A/V (the two top terminals) I now have A/A, they moved the video terminal to the bottom. Sound but no video. Bob
Old October 29th, 2002, 07:23 AM   #5
Trustee

Chris, I checked with Radio Shack. They have a small converter box ($24.95) that you plug the XL-1s into, and that have the cable out to the TV. Not as easy as the straight cables, but it will do the job. Thanks for the advise. Bob
Old October 29th, 2002, 10:02 AM   #6
Major Player

Bob, I've been using the Radio Shack Modulator for about a year now to feed a RF signal to a monitor some distance away. It works great, only drawback being it requires AC. I had a small Canon RF adapter that came with my Canon A1 Hi8 camera that got power from the 5v tap between the Audio & Video connectors. It worked fine with my Sony D8 but I had to go the Radio Shack route with the XL1S for the same reason you cite.
Old October 30th, 2002, 06:20 PM   #7
Wrangler

Should be able to make the Canon RU adapter work if you get some short M-F patch cables (2-RCA and one mono submini phone)
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2002, 11:34 AM   #8
Trustee

Don, I tried it and it works! Thanks for the tip. Bob.
Old November 4th, 2002, 04:13 PM   #9
Major Player

What is everyone's opinion on Radio Shack? I've always found their products to be a bit...well cheaply constructed and crappy. I haven't tried every item obviously, but I have doubts when I walk in to an RS every time.

someone restore some faith please :)
Old November 4th, 2002, 05:10 PM   #10
Wrangler

You have to know what you are buying. Their products are mainly for the consumer market and some prosumer stuff. Generally not really built for professional 7/24 operations, but there may be exceptions for specific items - especially in the special order area.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2002, 08:46 AM   #11
Wrangler

Radio Shack products

Their RF converter works just fine, and I also love to use their little four-channel mixer. Best deal out there. Some of their microphones are also a good value.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog