What lens attachement for macro/closeup on the XL-1 standard lens at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old January 22nd, 2002, 05:17 PM   #1
Regular Crew

What lens attachement for macro/closeup on the XL-1 standard lens

Hi folks

What kind of lens attachment do you use for close-up/macro videography on the Canon XL-1 with the standard lens?

I would like to complete my collection as I currently have the Century Optics 0.6X wide angle and the Canon 1.6 XL Extender.

Thanks
Norman Woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2002, 05:45 PM   #2
Wrangler

A close-up adapter kit in 72mm mount work, and is available for around $75 in a set of +1, +2, and +4. Other strengths are available too. I/ve found the +2 from Tiffen works well for my relatively simple needs.

For highest quality consider the Century Precision Optics achromatic diopters, available in +2 and +3.5 for a lot more money. Details at http://www.centuryoptics.com/products/video/prodv/prodvdiopters.html
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2002, 06:54 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Just curious...why won't the macro function on the existing lens suit for needs.

Is it because you need to get an extreme close up while maintaining some distance from your subject?

Mike Avery
Mike Avery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2002, 07:03 PM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Take the lens hood off, and with sufficient lighting you can get the standard 16x lens as close as 3/16ths of an inch from your subject.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2002, 07:27 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Yes, I can focus pretty close with the lens hood only when I'm all zoomed out. However, If I zoom all the way in, the closest I can focus is about 5 feet. Sometimes I need to focus closer.

Is there a way, perhaps adding diopters, to focus closer than feet when zoomed in? Is this still considered Macro mode?

Thanks
Norman Woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2002, 07:37 PM   #6
Obstreperous Rex

Macro mode operates at full wide -- no zooming. Instead of zooming in, move your camera closer to the subject. Take the lens hood off and you can get as close as 3/16ths of an inch, but you must be at the full wide focal length (no telephoto, no zooming allowed). Most macro lens attachments operate the same way, at full wide.

Old January 22nd, 2002, 08:15 PM   #7
Wrangler

An issue is lighting the object and shadows cast by the lens. With a +2 close up adapter on the lens I can fill the screen with a 35mm negative size object from about 16 inches. Very nice for some types of work, even shooting color slides set on a light table. In maco setting with the object a fraction of an inch from the front element of the lens it is much more difficult to light the object or manipulate it.
Old January 23rd, 2002, 09:52 PM   #8
Regular Crew

You know if you have the iris closed down to its smallest setting you can get things to appear in sharp focus right on the lens. Don't believe me... try it. Take a newspaper, press it right up against the standard lens, light it from behind and presto. You probably don't want to do this kind of stuff if the standard lens is your only lens. I don't really care if I damage the standard lens, because I have a much better manual lens that I use regularly. At one time I had insects crawling right on the lens... it is one of my fondest memories.
Justin Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2002, 03:42 AM   #9
Obstreperous Rex

What's cool is that all Canon camcorders can do this. Even the cheap little ZR's will focus right on the lens, exactly as you describe.

Old January 27th, 2002, 09:55 AM   #10
Regular Crew

close up lens for xl1

Did not see anyone mention the excellent Canon close up lens(500D) for the xl1...the quality of extreeme close ups is excellent..and it does not have to be used at full wide; it just makes the normal 16x lens a more versatile animal..This close up lens is a great piece of glass....I believe it is under$200.but I bought mine 4years ago, and dont remember the exact cost.For anyone shooting close ups and "macro" with the XL1. This is a nice accessory.
Peter Sheppard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2002, 03:08 PM   #11
Wrangler

Interesting. I asked the Canon customer service folks several months ago about using their photo diopter, and they did not know anything about it.

Glad to hear it works well. It should be a great piece of glass. The 500D probably corresponds to a +2 in the world of closeup adapters, byut the Canon is probaly achromatic and coated, which the low cost units are not.
Old January 28th, 2002, 12:05 PM   #12
abaldwin

lens

dr pepper:
what is the manual lens that you use? i am looking for my xl1s, and considering the new canon manual...

thanks!
andrew
Old January 28th, 2002, 12:34 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Andrew,

I can't speak for dr pepper, but I use the canon 16x manual lens.

I'm very happy with it.

For more information you can check out a fairly lengthy discussion on a post titled "first impressions of the 16x manual lens".

Unless you really need all the automatic features on the standard lens, I don't see how you can go wrong with the manual model.

mike avery
Mike Avery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2002, 12:36 PM   #14
abaldwin

mike,

thanks very much for the info-- i will check out that thread as well.

best to you,
andrew
Old August 17th, 2002, 01:37 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Sorry, I know this thread is a few months old but I am interested in this area but I am new to the forum and I am just going back over the older threads.

I need to be able to video in macro mode while keeping a distance from the subject. The majority of the videos I shoot are in operating theatres and while the standard lens is fine for most operations I need to do some work for maxillo facial surgeons. This can involve intra oral (inside the mouth) sections.

As you can guess infection contol procedures require that I do not enter the sterile field so I need to keep back. I would normally work from the foot of the table so I am about six feet away from the mouth.

Any suggestions?
Ross Milligan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog