L & R level controls on channels 3 & 4 only. Why? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old August 26th, 2005, 04:24 PM   #1
Regular Crew

L & R level controls on channels 3 & 4 only. Why?

I have never used the 3rd and 4th audio channels on the XL-1 because of the lower bit rate required to use them. I don't understand why Canon would not have at least given channels 1 and 2 those seperate manual level controls like the Sony and Panasonic cameras do. I know that for 1 and 2 there is a balance (panning) control that can be used but that's just turning one channel at a time up or down which seems useless if you have two people wired and need to set levels seperately. Why has Canon never figured this out and continued to include all successors of the XL-1 with the same bass ackwards design?
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2005, 04:34 PM   #2
Wrangler

Thought Canon changed from vol/bal to just gain controls for each channel with the XL2.

Vol/Bal is probably is OK for most users with the standard on-camera stereo mic, although the pits if using separate external mics.
Old August 26th, 2005, 05:32 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Oh definitely. The master level control is great when using both channels whether it's the camera mic or external mics. It's almost as if Canon refuses to admit its a design flaw at our expense or inconvenience.
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2005, 05:36 PM   #4
Major Player

Happily, the XL2 has this design fixed with separate controls for each channel. The dust gasket on the tape door is also nice. Among many other improvements...
Jimmy McKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2005, 06:11 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Well, that is good to hear. I didn't realize that. That proves that Canon knew there was a logistical problem. Now, they should replace all of my cameras and give me new XL-2s for my inconvenience and frustration.
James Emory is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog