XL1 pixelation / dropout at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old August 29th, 2006, 10:34 AM   #1
Tourist

XL1 pixelation / dropout

Hey everyone. Just posting to see if i can get any feedback on a problem I'm having. I bought my XL1 secondhand a year and a half ago, it has served me fine for the past year with no problems at all.

A couple of months ago I was testing it before a job. To my horror i noticed the image was pixelating and dropping out. I immediately booked the camera in for repair, i got it back but the problem was still there.

Again i sent it back to the repair firm and they replaced the Drum unit. But still the problem persists. I was on a job a few days ago and the dropout occured - I found it mostly occurs when the subject i am filming is moving, it tends to calm down a little when the subject is still.

I got the camera home and tested it. It seemed to be fine, i then played back a tape that i had recorded a while back which i knew was fine, and it started to drop out yet again. i have no idea what it is i would like to give some suggestions to the repair company so any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Anthony Jarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2006, 10:39 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Anthony, is that repair firm authorized by Canon UK?

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2006, 01:28 PM   #3
Tourist

repair firm

yes they are. they are called sartec
Anthony Jarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2006, 01:31 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Change tape brands, try Sony Premium, worked for me.

Mike
Old September 27th, 2006, 03:12 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I have had the same problems with my XL1. Changing tape stock does work, but I have also had dropouts with Sony Professionals, but a lot less. On my last shoot, I did not have any dropouts with DVCAM tapes (but they cost $12). Stick with one stock that works and the Sony Pr's are great. In fact, I didn't have any problems until I had to purchase a cheap stock from a local drug store because I ran out.

Aside from getting rid of the camera, look into a firestore or citidisk and go straight to harddrive. It will also save you time editing.

Does your XL1 also jam, telling you to eject the cassette?
Tup Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2006, 05:56 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tup Wright
I have had the same problems with my XL1. Changing tape stock does work,
So now I am liar! Wow, go on one lousy road trip, and my reputation goes to hell while I'm gone! :) :)

It does work at times.

From somewhere in IL.

Mike
Old October 31st, 2006, 03:12 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Get some Video Shampoo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Teutsch
Change tape brands, try Sony Premium, worked for me.

Mike
I shoot on Sony Premiums too...i bought my camera second hand about a month ago and the first time i used it i filmed for about an hour straight...i got a few drop outs and pixelation...i was pretty upset because i couldnt re-shoot the video...

I bought a Maxell Dry Type Head cleaner and gave it a whirl....it worked fine! the next time i shot the video was crystal clear on playback.
I used a cheap 1-Chip samsung to capture the video into Avid and i got some pixelation and dropout again! i decided to clean the heads on my smaller "Capturing camera" and that did the trick....just clean your heads every hour or so (recording hours) and you'll be fine.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog