anyone know any UK Canon repair dealers? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old October 2nd, 2006, 07:47 AM   #1
Major Player

anyone know any UK Canon repair dealers?

I want to take my xl1s in for a service as I have read many things about people getting them back and finding the focus is clearer etc. Does anyone have any recomendations of where to send it to in the UK and possibly a rough idea of the cost?
Thanks
David J. Payne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2006, 01:47 PM   #2
Regular Crew

David, you could try:

VideoTech (Authorised Canon Agents)
UNIT 5B,Kayley Ind Est,Richmond St. Ashton-under-Lyne, Lancashire OL7 0AU

Although you may have an agent nearer to you.

I've used them for repairs to my XL1S but haven't had it serviced yet so not sure on cost.
Carl Barlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2006, 04:32 PM   #3
Regular Crew

https://self-service.canon-europe.com/uk/pages/
go down to the bottom of this page on the right and the last listing under "other useful links" is reapir and service. This will list all dealers certified by canon in the UK.
I believe the one in Borehamwood is the main one.
Chris Colin Swanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2006, 02:49 PM   #4
Major Player

thanks carl and chris, this is helpful. I will give them a call and let you know what price I am quoted.
David
Old October 4th, 2006, 02:15 AM   #5
Major Player

the answer is.... pretty useless.
The borehamwood dealer seems to be just a call center that are keen to send the addresses of the other service centers on the website to you via email.
Plymcare and Videotech both say that they do not do a general checkup of the camera and that I have to tell them exactly what is wrong for them to fix it. The problem is I do not know, I just want to pay someone some money to ensure that my camera doesnt let me down half way through a wedding or important event.. I know thew zoom handle is sticky but I have read of people sending off their camera and having it returned with clearer focus etc.. this is what I want to do!
Old October 4th, 2006, 07:40 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Sounds frustrating. I'm surprised VideoTech don't do servicing, I was actually going to call them in the next month or so when the weddings are quiet to get mine serviced.

Let us know how you get on anyway.
Carl Barlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2006, 10:34 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Try Lehmans, I thin they're based in Stoke. They are an authorised Canon repairer/ servicer. Ihave used them for both still cameras and XL1S. Just google them.
Carl Walters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2006, 11:10 AM   #8
Major Player

Hi there

My first quiestion would be...Is your camera broken? Is it malfunctioning?

I remember once going into the Canon Pro Centre ... near IKEA in north London I seem to remember.. with my mate who wanted his Canon F1 cameras serviced..
The tech there basically said to him 'If it ain't broke..Don't fix it!!' Give it a clean but don't start dismantling it if there is nothing wrong with it. That was his reply... he reckoned he'd more than likely dislodge or harm some other component..unnecessarily.

This was repeated to me at the Paris Canon pro centre by the old guy who used to do all the major sporting events where Canon had a Pro assistance.. ie. French Tennis Open, Olympics, F1, World Cup etc...

Finally XL1's are getting a bit long in the tooth in the DV world...where technology is moving fast.. Maybe your camera just needs a clean...

Regards
Gareth
Gareth Watkins is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog