Not overly impressed by new XL1S at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old September 28th, 2001, 01:25 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Not overly impressed by new XL1S

I tested the XL1S out yesterday, and since I have used the XL1 since it's first day and the prototype before that, I have a good idea about it. The new XL1S has a bunch of new features, but what was most important to me is how much the picture was improved. Well my conclusion is maybe at the most 5% on picture improvement, and that's based on the fact that Canon says they put better electronics inside. Not on what I saw. I felt that there was no big improvment. When I watched the test footage I didn't say to myself "WOW" what an improvment. I said well it feels and looks like all my other XL1 footage. If I put the XL1 and the XL1S together side by side that's where I felt I might ( big might ) see a 5% difference, even if that. The XL1S and XL1 is still one hell of a camera, and frame mode is a great feature that I wish others like Sony had put on their VX2000/PD150 but did not. I thought I would share that little test I did with all of you.

Michael Pappas
Arrival Entertainment
Arrfilms@hotmail.com
Michael Pappas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2001, 08:44 AM   #2
Wrangler

So how does it do in poor light relative to the XL1 and the VX2000/PD150?

Since it is an XL1s, not a XL2, I guess marginal improvements are to be expected, not a complete overhaul.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2001, 02:14 PM   #3
MTC FILMS

XL1s is making me mad

michael.

I also had the xl1 and got the xl1s.
In low light set at +12db the xl1s has more noise the xl1.
It almost looks like it has a black mesh in front of the lens.
The xl1 was better in low light well looked better.
I can't see ever using the dump 18db or the 30db with the nasty noise it gives.

I wish I didn't sell my xl1.

Mark
Old September 30th, 2001, 09:39 AM   #4
Wrangler

This sounds like you could have a defective XL1S and migh be worth havingit checked out. Th specs say it shour be abotu 4 dB better sinal to nosie.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2001, 12:38 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Re: XL1s is making me mad

Well it's funny you mention that. I always shoot footage tests of the lens cap on the camera to see how well the blacks are and the noise levels. It's a simple test. After shooting about 10 to 20 seconds of video in each gain setting. Like -3 then 0db and up. I go back on a high quality monitor and turn the brightness level almost all the way up so I can study what's going on in the blacks. This is where you can see the noise and all other defects. I will also, if its a real important test take it into the computer to analyze the levels and etc. But I did the simple test with the XL1S and I found there to be a very light noise pattern even in -3db setting that I never got with the XL1. This might be some anti banding technology that they are doing. But from my tests I think you are seeing extra noise as I did.

I didn't find the XL1S to be any sharper then the XL1.

Mark did you?

They had refurb XL1's at B&H for $2900 and a $500 rebate too.
The original XL1 for $2400 is not bad. But the rebate ended. To bad.

Michael

<<<-- Originally posted by MTC FILMS : michael.

I also had the xl1 and got the xl1s.
In low light set at +12db the xl1s has more noise the xl1.
It almost looks like it has a black mesh in front of the lens.
The xl1 was better in low light well looked better.
I can't see ever using the dump 18db or the 30db with the nasty noise it gives.

I wish I didn't sell my xl1.

Mark -->>>
Michael Pappas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2001, 01:08 PM   #6
MTC FILMS

XL1s is making me mad

michael.

I have not seen the xl1s any sharper then the xl1. I my self had done the same test you did before my first post on the xl1s.

I wish I didn't buy the xl1s and just went with the JVC DV500.
Old October 6th, 2001, 03:14 PM   #7
Contributor

I find that XL1S sharpness is the same as XL1 in mid position, but if you go to sharpness control, you can make it much sharper. Noise is getting worse in the same time - no free lunch here. But if you adjust sharpness just 1-2 steps up from the center position, noise in not showing its ugly head. Off corse, this is not "real" sharpness improvement, but peaking on the edges without giving any extra details. It appears sharper though.
In low light I find it about 2 f-stops more sensitive then XL1.
I have more difficulty with WB now, as it is less predictable than XL1, and also changes a bit with gain.
Alex
Alex Dolgin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog