Black vertical edges when importing from XL1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old October 3rd, 2001, 01:05 PM   #1
briangeverd

Black vertical edges when importing from XL1

I am getting two vertical black edges in my image area ( approx 20 pixels each side ).

It appears as if the XL1 is recording this way, and the problem is perpetuated through to import to editing software and export out to Quicktime etc.

When playing back through to a monitor, the black edges are lost due to image cropping.... but are a signifigant problem exported to Quicktime... as I am froced to use masks to block the lines.

Canon says they know of no problem, or setting regarding these black edges and say it may be a firewire problem or a defect in my camera. I have concluded it is not a firewire problem, so before I send the camera back for service ... has anyone have any ideas or solutions on this problem?

Thanks!

Brian Geverd
Old October 4th, 2001, 12:22 PM   #2
bobbyxl1

black vertical bars

it is perfectly normal.......when the video is played back through the a tv or monitor the bars are not visible, the only way to get rid of them is to crop.
Old October 4th, 2001, 05:23 PM   #3

Black Lines

I tried to duplicate your line problem with my XL1s and was unable to do it. I am using Adobe 5.1 and tried several different picture formats. I fed the computer directly from the XL1s with the digital cable and still got no side bars. Weird.

Prof Chuck
Old October 5th, 2001, 08:31 PM   #4
codeloss

I've heard of this before... I haven't used an XL1 that extensively, but the actual recorded image is only 708x480 (if I remember correctly). The narrow black bars are normal. My question is, does the XL1S still have these? From the above post, it sounds like it does not. Can someone confirm this? Thanks
Old October 5th, 2001, 09:50 PM   #5

Black Lines

A friend has an XL1. We tried his camera on my editor and the black lines appeared on each side of the image. Somehow, the XL1s has eliminated the problem. He is really annoyed and now wants to get a XL1s (heh heh)

ProfChuck
Old October 6th, 2001, 08:11 AM   #6

Frame width control with Adobe 5.1

I think I see what is happening here.

I am using Adobe Premiere 5.1 video editor. This editor has a setup feature that permits selection of the number of pixels horizontally and the number of lines vertically that will be captured. If these numbers don't match the output of the camera you will either get black borders or you will crop the image.

When you start 5.1 a new project screen comes up, click GENERAL SETTINGS.

A pull down will appear, click VIDEO SETTINGS.

From this screen you can select the compressor type, pallett, frame size, frame rate, etc.

I assume other editors have a similar feature. See if this solves your problem.

ProfChuck
Old October 6th, 2001, 08:18 AM   #7

More on Black lines

Oh, and another thing, This relationship between pixel and line count in the camera and in the editor is responsible for borders or croping only when the video data is digital and has specific pixel location assignments. I doubt if the problem occurs when analog video is sent to the editor.
Old October 8th, 2001, 01:42 PM   #8
briangeverd

Thanks to all for the experience and detective work on this issue. At least now I know it is a common issue for the XL1 rather than mine alone.

Regards,

Brian Geverd

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog